The Palestine thread

Started by give her dixie, October 17, 2012, 01:29:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dowling

Quote from: rossiewanderer on August 07, 2014, 11:04:34 PM
I find it bizarre that the plight of the Yezidi minority in Kurdistan and Northern Iraq is going almost unnoticed in this country and the wider world.Also the christian minorities in these regions are being ethnicly cleansed at an alarming rate.

These people are being massacred as we speak woman and children alike and face extermination at the hands of the advancing ISIS .Their are no symbolic protests or fags for these innocent peoples.
All human life is equal.

You probably have fair point. Why don't you start a thread and put something informative on that can be a starting point for discussion. And see what happens. Perhaps most of us need to know the greater details but, yea go for it.

rossiewanderer

I do not see support for Palestine as bizarre at all.children and civilians have been killed,It is horrendous.Their is a natural empathy from this country which

I do however have issues with some Palestine supporters especially in this country;
The work shy hippy brigade that think its cool to go to protests and confront police
The moronic idiots that think its hip to have a Palestine flag in a pub while sinking pints and spouting drivel.
Also those who cannot deal with an honest opinion that is not entirely Pro Palestine or Hamas.

Can anyone explain why Hamas did not evacuate Woman and Children from Gaza City to the sparsely populated southern end of Gaza when it became clear that the Israeli war machine was going to result in the deaths of children,babies,woman and civilians alike?

muppet

Quote from: rossiewanderer on August 08, 2014, 01:10:16 AM
I do not see support for Palestine as bizarre at all.children and civilians have been killed,It is horrendous.Their is a natural empathy from this country which

I do however have issues with some Palestine supporters especially in this country;
The work shy hippy brigade that think its cool to go to protests and confront police
The moronic idiots that think its hip to have a Palestine flag in a pub while sinking pints and spouting drivel.
Also those who cannot deal with an honest opinion that is not entirely Pro Palestine or Hamas.

Can anyone explain why Hamas did not evacuate Woman and Children from Gaza City to the sparsely populated southern end of Gaza when it became clear that the Israeli war machine was going to result in the deaths of children,babies,woman and civilians alike?

I have been severely critical of Hamas long before this war, Dixie even compared me to the Israeli Government spokesman, but sometimes desperate men do desperately stupid things. That is not to condone the rockets, I think it is actually treasonous for Hamas to fire those rockets as it means certain death for Palestinian civilians.

Some of the arguments supporting Israel's actions on the other hand are absolutely ludicrous.

'Israel has a right to defend itself' - becomes they can kill as many Palestinian civilians as they wish.
'Israel has a right to exist' - becomes Israel can prevent the Palestinians from having any normal society.
'Hamas is a terrorist organisation' - becomes Israel can impose terrorism on Palestine.

I don't disagree with any of the statements on the left, but they are twisted beyond all recognition to justify the actions on the right.
MWWSI 2017

imtommygunn

Quote from: muppet on August 08, 2014, 01:35:28 AM

I have been severely critical of Hamas long before this war, Dixie even compared me to the Israeli Government spokesman, but sometimes desperate men do desperately stupid things. That is not to condone the rockets, I think it is actually treasonous for Hamas to fire those rockets as it means certain death for Palestinian civilians.

Some of the arguments supporting Israel's actions on the other hand are absolutely ludicrous.

'Israel has a right to defend itself' - becomes they can kill as many Palestinian civilians as they wish.
'Israel has a right to exist' - becomes Israel can prevent the Palestinians from having any normal society.
'Hamas is a terrorist organisation' - becomes Israel can impose terrorism on Palestine.

I don't disagree with any of the statements on the left, but they are twisted beyond all recognition to justify the actions on the right.

In addition to all that muppet i would love to see the full truth on hamas firing of rockets for this current waive of israeli violence. From what i can gather:

1. 3 tennage israelis get killed
2. Israel blame hamas and start wreaking havoc
3. Hamas start firing rockets
4. Israel continue violence saying they want to wipeout hamas tunnels

2 has since been admitted to be wrong.

You read varying things on this but i have read pre all of this the last hamas rocket was november. I may be being very naiave but is there any truth in this??

dferg

No hippies
No one who thinks it's cool to protest
No one who drinks pints in a pub and expresses a pro Palestine opinion
Surely you don't want Nordies???

What would be an acceptable Palestine supporter?

Church going
White collar worker
Keeps there opinion to themselves

Gaza is one of the most densely populated places in the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaza_Strip

The Palestinians where going to UN refugee camps.

http://www.rttnews.com/2362479/us-demands-israeli-investigation-into-shelling-of-un-refugee-camps-in-gaza.aspx

nrico2006

Why is the Palestine situation the only conflict that has received so much support in the way of protests etc?  Why was there not the same level of protest and awareness against the other countless conflicts over the past few years?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

AZOffaly

This is bullying, and is highly visible. It's a war crime, and maybe, just maybe, western people can do something to force Israel to listen and stop.

what other conflicts did you have in mind?

rossiewanderer

Quote from: dferg on August 08, 2014, 10:23:01 AM

No hippies
No one who thinks it's cool to protest
No one who drinks pints in a pub and expresses a pro Palestine opinion
Surely you don't want Nordies???

What would be an acceptable Palestine supporter?

Church going
White collar worker
Keeps there opinion to themselves

Gaza is one of the most densely populated places in the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaza_Strip

The Palestinians where going to UN refugee camps.

http://www.rttnews.com/2362479/us-demands-israeli-investigation-into-shelling-of-un-refugee-camps-in-gaza.aspx

Their is plenty of open space in southern Gaza away from the city where you could have refugee camps without having Hamas weapons in them or nearby and giving Israel an excuse to shell.

Their are plenty of good people involved in the Palestine protests who have a natural empathy and a deep feeling for the people of Gaza/Israel and who are making efforts to help in a financial and symbolic capacity.

However I do believe it is Hi jacked by a large minority of idiots as exemplified in this board.
And on the streets by People who have willfully never worked in their lives and jump from one anarchist type bandwagon to the next.

muppet

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 08, 2014, 08:55:26 AM

In addition to all that muppet i would love to see the full truth on hamas firing of rockets for this current waive of israeli violence. From what i can gather:

You read varying things on this but i have read pre all of this the last hamas rocket was november. I may be being very naiave but is there any truth in this??

This is correct, but for 'start wreaking havoc' read - they arrested around 361 'Hamas activists' to find the missing boys. This was despite them already knowing the boys were already dead (RIP) and that Hamas were not actually involved. It would appear that Netanyahu or his cohorts engineered the situation to outrage his constituency and justify an invasion.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/ap/article-2666001/Israel-nabs-suspects-Passover-shooting.html

The announcement came as Israel pressed forward with a crackdown on Hamas across the West Bank in response to the June 12 disappearance of three Israeli teenagers. Israel has said the Islamic militant group abducted the youths, though it has presented no proof.

The kidnappings have prompted the largest Israeli ground operation in the West Bank in nearly a decade, as troops frantically search for the youths. Israel has said its secondary goal is to destroy Hamas "infrastructure" in the West Bank.

Since launching the operation, Israel has detained 361 Palestinians, including 250 Hamas operatives and 57 former prisoners released in 2011. The army said it has also raided 63 Hamas civilian institutions.

MWWSI 2017

give her dixie

"The Palestinian people's resistance in Gaza today is admirable, it is fair and it is a struggle for all of us. We do not want a world where raw power can be abused, to kill those who struggle for justice."

"The heart of the Earth beats in Gaza now. It bleeds, but it beats," says Dr. Mads Gilbert, the Norwegian emergency surgeon who returned to his home city of Tromsø on 31 July, after spending several weeks treating the wounded from Israel's assault at Gaza City's al-Shifa Hospital.

http://electronicintifada.net/blogs/ali-abunimah/video-palestinian-resistance-gaza-fighting-all-us-says-dr-mads-gilbert
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

AZOffaly

I include the USA in 'Western people'. If Europe shows solidarity, maybe it will start seeping through to the masses in the US that this is maybe not about Israel 'defending itself' against the hated 'Muslim'

dowling

A small gesture or protest on its own wont achieve anything of course but what small acts on their own can do is raise awareness of a situation and cause people to question the rights and wrongs of actions. And hopefully things build from there.
It isn't hard to be pessimistic but there are many people doing many good things and there has to be a belief that things will change.

imtommygunn

Quote from: muppet on August 08, 2014, 12:21:13 PM

This is correct, but for 'start wreaking havoc' read - they arrested around 361 'Hamas activists' to find the missing boys. This was despite them already knowing the boys were already dead (RIP) and that Hamas were not actually involved. It would appear that Netanyahu or his cohorts engineered the situation to outrage his constituency and justify an invasion.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/ap/article-2666001/Israel-nabs-suspects-Passover-shooting.html

The announcement came as Israel pressed forward with a crackdown on Hamas across the West Bank in response to the June 12 disappearance of three Israeli teenagers. Israel has said the Islamic militant group abducted the youths, though it has presented no proof.

The kidnappings have prompted the largest Israeli ground operation in the West Bank in nearly a decade, as troops frantically search for the youths. Israel has said its secondary goal is to destroy Hamas "infrastructure" in the West Bank.

Since launching the operation, Israel has detained 361 Palestinians, including 250 Hamas operatives and 57 former prisoners released in 2011. The army said it has also raided 63 Hamas civilian institutions.

Were there not quite a few bombs / deaths thrown in with the arrests though muppet?

When you break it down to the very basic timeline of how the current conflict began it is quite staggering what lies we have been fed through the media and really should be eye opening to a lot of people.

muppet

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 08, 2014, 01:59:25 PM
Quote from: muppet on August 08, 2014, 12:21:13 PM

Were there not quite a few bombs / deaths thrown in with the arrests though muppet?

When you break it down to the very basic timeline of how the current conflict began it is quite staggering what lies we have been fed through the media and really should be eye opening to a lot of people.

Honestly don't know, but I doubt if it was all nicely ringing the doorbell.
MWWSI 2017