All Ireland Quarter Final;Roscommon v Mayo Sunday July 30th

Started by maigheo, July 23, 2017, 01:51:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: Rossfan on July 23, 2017, 02:25:28 PM
Can't wait.
We started yet off on the road in the 2011 CF so would be nice if we ended ye're team next Sunday.
One part of me fears we had ONE BIG GAME in us and 9 months to hone in on it.
Hope we avoid a tanking anyway and that our young ladeens run the legs if the oul worn out Rhubarbs.
So ye did have one big game in ye
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

highorlow

A small bit later than planned. That's one way to silence the boo boys.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Farrandeelin

I'm glad to be proven wrong. I put my head in my hands when the text came through that Keegan wasn't starting. By Christ they sure filled the gap in his absence. You couldn't really give anyone one standout performance because they were all good. The defenders were put in their right positions. Barrett back at corner back and Donie given licence to roam. Brilliant from all of them. Parsons showed what a loss he was the first day. SOS had a great game too, not doing any of the silly stuff he can often do. Forwards, I was harsh on them last week, but they were all brilliant yesterday.

You could make a case that Ros were cat. And they were. Couldn't believe how bad they were. I know they had a bad league and last year too but I thought McStay would have them better prepared. Fair dos to Rochford. It was tough I'm sure on the Rossies yesterday. I'm sure it will hurt them. Especially the fact they gave a good account of themselves in the first game.

Regards talk of top 4 or whatever, there's one day the last 4 will want to be top dogs on. We all know when.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Rossfan

Quote from: seafoid on August 08, 2017, 07:29:37 AM
Can't wait.
We started yet off on the road in the 2011 CF so would be nice if we ended ye're team next Sunday.
Hope we avoid a tanking anyway and that our young ladeens run the legs if the oul worn out Rhubarbs.
And 12 glorious minutes in Croke Park too.
After that it was Mayowestros 5-30 MostofRos 0-16.
Sobering reality as a big boy cut loose on us in the big boys'  playground.
Still can't understand what management was at dropping Fintan and Ciaráin and giving a man his first senior game in an AI QF.
A man who was spirited into the panel only a few weeks beforehand.
We had a great day in Salthill and are Connacht Champions but certainly aren't the best team in Connacht.

Hope the Rhubarbs can keep this new found level up till 5 o'clock on 17th September or it will be like our CF win.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

sans pessimism

A certain poster on here questioned the quality of Brendan Harrison...........think ya got yer answer yday Syferus.
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

Syferus

Quote from: sans pessimism on August 08, 2017, 10:23:55 AM
A certain poster on here questioned the quality of Brendan Harrison...........think ya got yer answer yday Syferus.

Why did he need two minders so? Diarmuid was our best player on the day btw so I'm afraid you picked the wrong ocassion to crow. In fact you picked the only matchup yesterday that you couldn't crow about.

Mayo4Sam

Syf, it shows how little you know or maybe how blinkered you are
Harrison was outstanding yesterday, could easily have been MOTM

I don't think yesterday was a day to be picking out top Roscommon performers. Murtagh got two points from play, hardly a roasting. Harrison led directly to a lot of our scores with his attacking, should have had a goal and was just outstanding
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

seafoid

Quote from: Rossfan on August 08, 2017, 09:20:51 AM
Quote from: seafoid on August 08, 2017, 07:29:37 AM
Can't wait.
And 12 glorious minutes in Croke Park too.
After that it was Mayowestros 5-30 MostofRos 0-16.
Sobering reality as a big boy cut loose on us in the big boys'  playground.
Still can't understand what management was at dropping Fintan and Ciaráin and giving a man his first senior game in an AI QF.
A man who was spirited into the panel only a few weeks beforehand.
We had a great day in Salthill and are Connacht Champions but certainly aren't the best team in Connacht.

Hope the Rhubarbs can keep this new found level up till 5 o'clock on 17th September or it will be like our CF win.
Yup
Now or never.
If they do it it will break the Internet.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

From the Bunker

A tough day in the office for Roscommon yesterday. I'll rephrased that - A very tough day. Made all the tougher by expectation that had grew from two previous performances. Well done to all the Rossie fans that stayed to the end, and there were a lot more that stayed than left early. You are a credit to your county and if you have another great day, you are the one who will enjoy it more.

Well, Mayo are suddenly Top 4 again. World beaters. Elite team. Seasoned Warriors. Gas how one game can change the perspective of the masses. I'd take our performance with a pinch of Salt. We've had games like this this year in Galway/Donegal and Roscommon/Galway. Both Galway and Roscommon surfed on media praise from such performances. But they were just days both teams turned up, had a good start and ran with it.

Any well done to Mayo. This kind of win will do them no harm. The Negativity since last years AI final has been smothering. There has been a constant questioning of their Character, their will and their skill.

My reservations on the Super 8 still remain. Too many games in a short space of time for smaller squad, less conditioned teams will see teams get multiple hidings in this format. 

Syferus

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 08, 2017, 10:39:34 AM
Syf, it shows how little you know or maybe how blinkered you are
Harrison was outstanding yesterday, could easily have been MOTM

I don't think yesterday was a day to be picking out top Roscommon performers. Murtagh got two points from play, hardly a roasting. Harrison led directly to a lot of our scores with his attacking, should have had a goal and was just outstanding

You'd really give MotM to a lad who had two sweepers helping him mark his man with any ball sent in? You're basically playing on easy mode when you have that much help. And yet Murtagh still caused him trouble.

Harrison is fine, but my point remains he is not an All-Star quaility back. Nothing yesterday disproves it. JOD and Geaney are going to have much more support than Diarmuid..

Mayo4Sam

What two sweepers did he have? Higgins some of the time was a sweeper and its not like he got up the fried and left his post. Such denial is admirable

Bart McQueen

Will Paddy Durcan be banned for next day lads?Swung back the elbow on Connolly.

macdanger2

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on August 07, 2017, 09:05:54 PM
Quote from: dclane on August 07, 2017, 09:04:25 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on August 07, 2017, 07:51:59 PM
Jasus lads that was awful from us today.
We were back to our worst NFL stuff and seemed totally physically unable to perform 8 days after a big match unlike the Rhubarbs who upped things in a big way.
Leaving Fintan and Ciaráin off was very strange and while Fitzmaurice wasn't too bad it was baffling springing him from nowhere in such a major game.
Not a time for pointing fingers at individual players but fee emerged with much credit today.
A very disappointing end to a good Summer.
Back to the drawing board.
Oh dear.. back to ths drawing board he says..and only yesterday he were standing on the cusp of greatness.. .

Quote from: Rossfan on August 06, 2017, 11:49:49 PM
Quote from: larryin89 on August 06, 2017, 06:17:41 PM
Do I sense a nervousness from the land of stolen sheep . Aye I thought so.
When your standing on the cusp of greatness it can generate a few butterflies.
Tomorrow is a day for not taking one backward step. Look them in the eye and lave them floundering on their fat Rhubarb arses.
Even if we don't win just let  us live up to our motto be "NOT ONE STEP BACKWARDS"
Alarm set, flashkeen washed, sandwich material bought, tractor filled with dodgy diesel ...... what can possibly go wrong?
you wonder why some people over the shannon don't want ye to win an AI

just be glad yer lads played very well today and enjoy the win.

You can surely spot that this fella isn't from Mayo??   :o

Syferus

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 08, 2017, 11:12:22 AM
What two sweepers did he have? Higgins some of the time was a sweeper and its not like he got up the fried and left his post. Such denial is admirable

He had Higgins or whoever else was covering for Higgins and the other CB/FB drifting over to help out on nearly every ball as the ball into Diarmuid was invariably long and aimless giving plenty of time for men to surround him. No marker can be credited too much when it was partly team effort and partly poor balls.

Look, ye beat us at every single position on the field bar Harrison on Diarmuid. It just wasn't the right time to crow about his greatness.

Mayo4Sam

So we had two sweepers because it was Higgins and whoever was covering FOR Higgins

Anyway, you're in a minority of one who thinks Murtagh got the better of Harrison. He got one outstanding point at the start of the second half and that was it.

One thing I was delighted about yesterday in fact was that the Mayo lads didn't highlight any player like we did last week. Enda Smith was shown up for the average footballer he is. He had a great Connacht final but he has a long way to go before he warrants us leaving our best player on him