All Ireland Quarter Final;Roscommon v Mayo Sunday July 30th

Started by maigheo, July 23, 2017, 01:51:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: bennydorano on August 07, 2017, 10:26:21 PM
After the past two weekends I'm convinced the hidings are as much to do with superior physicality & maturity as much as tactics, when those two things are spot on playing football is a much easier game. Talent and tactics obviously have their part to play.
There is something about the game now that advantages the incumbents. Maybe it's the lack of openness. Or money or something else. If you think about 96-01 3 teams shared 6 Sams but by the end there was a handover to Armagh and tyrone. It's 6 years since the Dubs won in 2011 but there is no alternative group on the horizon.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: INDIANA on August 07, 2017, 09:54:12 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on August 07, 2017, 05:36:31 PM
Quote from: Ball Hopper on August 07, 2017, 05:33:53 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on August 07, 2017, 05:29:46 PM
Quote from: Ball Hopper on August 07, 2017, 05:27:34 PM
Tyrone will have to prove they belong in the conversation the next day out.  Seeing as the best Kerry or Mayo can do against Dublin is a draw, what chances Tyrone and Dublin draw?

In fact, what odds both semifinals go to replays?

Don't let the facts get in the way of misguided nonsense though.
The best Mayo have done is a draw.

The best Kerry have done is lose.

And thus far Tyrone have failed to qualify for the latter stages and be part of the discussion.  New territory for Tyrone.  Who knows how they will handle it.

We know Kerry haven't had it against the Dubs.

We know Mayo have had it but shot themselves in the foot.

We don't know whether Tyrone have it or have not.

The known against the unknown.

The only team to topple Dublin under Gavin have been an Ulster side who played a defend in numbers, counter attacking game - similar to Tyrone.

They had Michael Murphy, Mc fadden and Mc Brearty

You have your best inside forwards on the bench.

They had McBrearty on the bench.

Murphy played the majority of his football in the middle of the pitch and McFadden was getting stick as he had been badly out of form that year.

INDIANA

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on August 07, 2017, 11:05:02 PM
Tyrone will have to prove they belong in the conversation the next day out.  Seeing as the best Kerry or Mayo can do against Dublin is a draw, what chances Tyrone and Dublin draw?

And thus far Tyrone have failed to qualify for the latter stages and be part of the discussion.  New territory for Tyrone.  Who knows how they will handle it.

The only team to topple Dublin under Gavin have been an Ulster side who played a defend in numbers, counter attacking game - similar to Tyrone.

Murphy played the majority of his football in the middle of the pitch and McFadden was getting stick as he had been badly out of form that year.

You've ignored my bit about your county....

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: INDIANA on August 07, 2017, 11:10:06 PM

No, I actually corrected your misinformation.

McBrearty started on the bench.
Murphy played the bulk of it out the field.
McFadden had been getting a lot of stick for his performances that year.

T Fearon

Was there today.Sincere thanks to the Rossies for taking the honour away from Armagh of being the quarter finalist that incurred the heaviest defeat by the biggest margin

twohands!!!

In the league Roscommon lost to Tyrone, Mayo, Donegal, Kerry, Dublin and Monaghan.

Their sole win was the game against Cavan (the other relegated side)

Their 2 wins in the championship were against a feeble Leitrim and a flaky Galway side.

The big outlier in terms of their form was drawing with Mayo the last day.

Mayo came out all guns blazing and were 0-6 up before Roscommon got the score back to 06-02.

Then once the goals came 3 goals in 4 minutes, it was game over.

Ref might as well have blown then because that's all Roscommon were waiting for.

Roscommon were beyond awful today - gave Mayo oceans of time and space when Mayo had the ball, on those occasions when a Roscommon player had the ball, it seemed as if the rest of the Roscommon team were playing statues - not just the forwards but everywhere on the pitch, they was zero movement whatsoever in terms of offering the player in possession options (this was especially the case for the keeper with kickouts) As such I don't know if I'd be giving Mayo huge amounts of credit in terms of "putting pressure" on the Roscommon kickouts, it was more a case of Roscommon putting pressure on the Roscommon kickouts , they were so poor.

Randy

Well, obviously I'm delighted with the result. Mayo players and management deserve massive credit for the high octane performance. It's hard to single out any one player but I thought Aidan o'se,Keith Higgins and Brendan Harrison were outstanding.

Also have to congratulate Roscommon on a very good season winning a Connaught championship. I am looking forward to the continued rivalry. No doubt they are a young and improving side and I wish them luck next year and hope they continue to build and improve.

weareros

Congrats to Mayo. From the throw-in to the final whistle never let up, as ruthless a performance as I've ever seen over us and I've seen a few. Still would like to thank our team and management. The Connacht final was a great day even if Mayo left no one in any doubt that they are by a long stretch the best team in Connacht. They've been on the road a long time now and they are a credit to their county and province. On their day they can beat anyone and hitting form at the right time and very best of luck lads and lassies. Mayo made a few simple changes today that some of their more astute supporters were crying out for. I was hoping Rockford would ignore the obvious but alas he made the changes. Enough to blow us away.  I'm still not sure what our management was at with that starting line up but that's for another day. Winter is for licking wounds and that's what we'll be doing. Mayo get bragging rights in my hometown of Ballagh for now, but we'll rise again.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: twohands!!! on August 07, 2017, 11:51:27 PM

Mayo came out all guns blazing and were 0-6 up before Roscommon got the score back to 06-02.

Ref might as well have blown then because that's all Roscommon were waiting for.

Roscommon were beyond awful today - gave Mayo oceans of time and space when Mayo had the ball, on those occasions when a Roscommon player had the ball, it seemed as if the rest of the Roscommon team were playing statues - not just the forwards but everywhere on the pitch, they was zero movement whatsoever in terms of offering the player in possession options (this was especially the case for the keeper with kickouts) As such I don't know if I'd be giving Mayo huge amounts of credit in terms of "putting pressure" on the Roscommon kickouts, it was more a case of Roscommon putting pressure on the Roscommon kickouts , they were so poor.

Last time i seen Mayo getting oceans of time and space when on the ball in Croke Park was against a hung over All Ireland Donegal winning team in 2013. Roscommon much like Armagh on Saturday didn't seem to have the conditioning to produce two competitive Croke park performances in a row. Easy pickings for both Tyrone and Mayo but how good both are won't be known until after the semi finals.

moysider

Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 08, 2017, 12:57:06 AM

Last time i seen Mayo getting oceans of time and space when on the ball in Croke Park was against a hung over All Ireland Donegal winning team in 2013. Roscommon much like Armagh on Saturday didn't seem to have the conditioning to produce two competitive Croke park performances in a row. Easy pickings for both Tyrone and Mayo but how good both are won't be known until after the semi finals.

Agree, we wont have a clue how good Dublin or Kerry are before they get a game in the semis. Neither have got a game yet but Kerry at least will get one in the semis.

Syferus

Quote from: moysider on August 08, 2017, 01:26:50 AM

Agree, we wont have a clue how good Dublin or Kerry are before they get a game in the semis. Neither have got a game yet but Kerry at least will get one in the semis.

Kerry is to Mayo what Mayo is to Roscommon. It's your turn to confront your demons. Good luck.

highorlow

They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

whitey

Quote from: Syferus on August 08, 2017, 01:46:13 AM
Quote from: moysider on August 08, 2017, 01:26:50 AM

Kerry is Mayo what Mayo is to Roscommon. It's your turn to confront your demons. Good luck.

Did you wallop on the head from someone on the train?

Youre talking nonsense

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: T Fearon on August 07, 2017, 11:30:30 PM
Was there today.Sincere thanks to the Rossies for taking the honour away from Armagh of being the quarter finalist that incurred the heaviest defeat by the biggest margin

Did you mix up your dates again Tony?
Hasta la victoria siempre

INDIANA

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on August 07, 2017, 11:20:29 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on August 07, 2017, 11:10:06 PM

No, I actually corrected your misinformation.

McBrearty started on the bench.
Murphy played the bulk of it out the field.
McFadden had been getting a lot of stick for his performances that year.

I'm still waiting .....