Ophelia

Started by J70, October 12, 2017, 03:22:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: Orior on October 17, 2017, 04:24:08 PM
The whole question of insensitivity is exemplified by this story on an Ann Frank costume:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-41651066

Was it insensitive or not?

Can I still wear a Nazi uniform ato a fancy dress party?

You've manged to find a connection where there is none here.

Eamonnca1

Clowns jumping into the sea and kite surfing when there's an alert like this on, putting the lives of first responders at risk. It should be illegal and punishable with a bit of jail time. Gobs*****s.

never kickt a ball

Quote from: hardstation on October 17, 2017, 06:25:27 PM
"What are you in for?"

"I went swimming on a rotten aul day."

And I'm innocent like you

Eamonnca1

Aaron Boone

Some of these guys could be e.g. Ukrainian that literally aren't clued into the local news.

armaghniac

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on October 17, 2017, 06:20:16 PM
Clowns jumping into the sea and kite surfing when there's an alert like this on, putting the lives of first responders at risk. It should be illegal and punishable with a bit of jail time. Gobs*****s.

I was listening to the radio today and these people were justifying themselves and some other woman who was swimming in Dun Laoghaire who reckoned it was her business and alerts did not apply to her.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Wildweasel74

Weather was very poor down rounf Kerry; Cork etc; alot of people  saying it wasnt that bad  especially in the north as if its an over reaction!

Syferus

"What are you in for?"

I guess the lives of emergency service personnel doesn't matter a jot to you if you're making quips.

There should be a punishment for willfully ignoring a red alert and potentially putting others in danger. At minimum a fine with the proceeds going to the services tasked with dealing with the eejits when it all goes wrong.

Rossfan

Agreed Syfīn.
For once......
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Asal Mor

People should be free to jump in the water or go kite surfing whenever they like. The emergency services should be free to let them at it and if they drown that's their own business. Personal responsibility.

Dire Ear

Quote from: Asal Mor on October 18, 2017, 06:21:44 AM
People should be free to jump in the water or go kite surfing whenever they like. The emergency services should be free to let them at it and if they drown that's their own business. Personal responsibility.
Absolutely, turn around and drive away

Franko

Quote from: Syferus on October 18, 2017, 12:43:12 AM
"What are you in for?"

I guess the lives of emergency service personnel doesn't matter a jot to you if you're making quips.

There should be a punishment for willfully ignoring a red alert and potentially putting others in danger. At minimum a fine with the proceeds going to the services tasked with dealing with the eejits when it all goes wrong.

This is very simple.

If you ignore warnings and have to be rescued, you are then liable for the entire cost of the rescue.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Franko on October 18, 2017, 07:32:59 AM
Quote from: Syferus on October 18, 2017, 12:43:12 AM
"What are you in for?"

This is very simple.

If you ignore warnings and have to be rescued, you are then liable for the entire cost of the rescue.
I would agree with that.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Asal Mor

It's been reported that the Dundalk kite surfers will lodge a complaint against the emergency services for stopping them. It might well be the case that they felt they could handle the conditions and we're being unnecessarily policed. They should be free to make their own choice but anyone who engages in water sports during a red weather warning should not be rescued.

JoG2

Quote from: Asal Mor on October 18, 2017, 08:55:46 AM
It's been reported that the Dundalk kite surfers will lodge a complaint against the emergency services for stopping them. It might well be the case that they felt they could handle the conditions and we're being unnecessarily policed. They should be free to make their own choice but anyone who engages in water sports during a red weather warning should not be rescued.

I can see both sides of the argument here, though in saying that, they shouldn't be lodging a complaint. Kite surfers, like all those who partake in coastal, water sports will access the weather charts and will fairly accurately know the conditions from one hour to the next. In their heads, the winds earlier in the day were heaven sent and the conditions were probably 'gnarly' with great reward.