Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bannside

John Joe O Neill citizen of the world. Class.No one writes like Joe can. Love him or hate him - but you won't ignore him!

93-DY-SAM

Joe like everyone else has his good points and bad but when it comes to things like this you can't deny he is a class act.

tbrick18

Brolly wears his heart on his sleeve and isnt afraid to state his opinion. Yes he gets it wrong sometimes but at the core of everything he says and does I think he always has the intention of doing good or highlighting wrong doings. I'd have huge admiration for anyone brave enough to behave in that manner.

I was in Celtic Park on Sunday with my 9 year old daughter, Brolly was sitting a couple of rows in front of us and Martin McGuinness just in front of that. Throughout the game kids (some not so young which I thought was a bit wierd) kept approaching him and asking for a picture. Even my 9 year old knew who he was and he obliged her with a selfie too. He had time to speak to everyone and still  not let it interrupt the game for him. Poor auld Martin might as well have stayed at home.....he never got a look in! I think he's a decent individual but I can understand why some people get rubbed up the wrong way by him.

Feckitt

macdanger2

That's the problem with Brolly, he's not a bollix so why does he play that part on RTE?

Fuzzman

So many people seem to fall into this trap.
i.e. you must either be a goodie or a baddie but not both.
Joe like most of us has good points and bad.
Unlike most he's got balls and puts himself out there to be praised or ridiculed.
The stuff he does with the health issues are amazing stories.
Some and I mean Some of what he spouts on RTE etc is to feed his own ego and to be sensationalist in my opinion. Loves to be controversial and learnt ages ago that being a yes man on TV gets you nowhere.
I agree a lot with what he says but if he was a county manager he would be totally different.
Easier to take that high horse view when taking underage teams or have young kids yourself like I do.

seafoid

Quote from: macdanger2 on March 11, 2015, 06:42:01 PM
That's the problem with Brolly, he's not a bollix so why does he play that part on RTE?
Because it's 2 straight faces and a bollix. That is the model and the viewers like it.
It's only gaelic football- nobody dies. Modern day circus.   
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

larryin89

Quote from: Feckitt on March 11, 2015, 01:24:51 PM
Quote from: Harold Disgracey on March 10, 2015, 10:42:49 AM
A powerful and poignant piece from Joe.

http://gaeliclife.com/2015/03/joe-brolly-my-god-my-god-why-have-you-forsaken-me/

Very few journalists can put something like that together

Teary eyed here after reading that.

Just to add to that, travelling down to the game with my 12 year old son and I gave it to him to read , I told  him it was sad before I gave it to him. " that was sad , did Joe brolly write that, he's very good at writing, I could visualise that all the way through from start to finish"
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Old yeller

Quote from: larryin89 on March 14, 2015, 10:49:18 AM
Quote from: Feckitt on March 11, 2015, 01:24:51 PM
Quote from: Harold Disgracey on March 10, 2015, 10:42:49 AM
A powerful and poignant piece from Joe.

http://gaeliclife.com/2015/03/joe-brolly-my-god-my-god-why-have-you-forsaken-me/

Very few journalists can put something like that together

Teary eyed here after reading that.

Just to add to that, travelling down to the game with my 12 year old son and I gave it to him to read , I told  him it was sad before I gave it to him. " that was sad , did Joe brolly write that, he's very good at writing, I could visualise that all the way through from start to finish"
Thats good to know

Main Street

Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on March 10, 2015, 04:39:18 PM
Beautiful from Joe, a marvelous man at heart
It was as elegant as one of those kisses he blew to the crowd on occasion.
And he writes much better than he pundits.

sheamy

Quote from: DuffleKing on March 09, 2015, 12:09:10 AM

I like Joe's style of writing and colour. However,  on examination, his articles are almost without exception whimsical horseshit. Of course, because he moulds his views so eloquently to appear logical,  the masses generally nod their heads at the wonder of Joe's wig and grammar.

After the emotion and everything else has passed, this is probably the most insightful and accurate critique I've seen to date. Nailed it. Up da masses.

Main Street

Quote from: sheamy on March 14, 2015, 10:13:13 PM
Quote from: DuffleKing on March 09, 2015, 12:09:10 AM

I like Joe's style of writing and colour. However,  on examination, his articles are almost without exception whimsical horseshit. Of course, because he moulds his views so eloquently to appear logical,  the masses generally nod their heads at the wonder of Joe's wig and grammar.

After the emotion and everything else has passed, this is probably the most insightful and accurate critique I've seen to date. Nailed it. Up da masses.
Quite frankly, it (that so called accurate and insightful critique) is condescending bull.

charlieTully

In what way is it condescending?

Main Street

Quote from: charlieTully on March 14, 2015, 11:46:03 PM
In what way is it condescending?
That critique of Brolly's journalism is condescending bull, making out that those who appreciate his journalism  or even some of his journalism, are gullible idiots.

"I like Joe's style of writing and colour. However,  on examination, his articles are almost without exception whimsical horseshit. Of course, because he moulds his views so eloquently to appear logical,  the masses generally nod their heads at the wonder of Joe's wig and grammar".

Fear ón Srath Bán

He's a sensationalist bollix, with a heart of gold. :)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...