Mark McGovern Fund

Started by Gaaboardmod3, July 20, 2011, 06:22:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EwanMacKenna

Not sure if the Examiner makes it to Fermanagh but might be of interest to some people and don't know if it made it onto the board before. Article starts six paragraghs in at 'In the blink of an eye' for those who get lost.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/kfqlidgbgbgb/rss2/

Denn Forever

Great to see him on the Late Late.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Doiregael2

A really good interview shame about turbidy asking the questions.  Great to see Mark and his recovery, hopefully he is on the road to a full recovery.  Made a good point about a life ban attacking officals maybe it's time to look at protecting players in the same way?

cogito

It's embarrassing just how little Tubridy knows about GAA. Delighted to see Mark is okay now. Can only imagine the frustration he has felt. A credit to the GAA. I hope he gets well looked after.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Doiregael2 on March 30, 2012, 11:24:33 PM
  Made a good point about a life ban attacking officals maybe it's time to look at protecting players in the same way?

Maximum for attacking an official is 96 weeks IIRC.

Paraic Duffy was on the other day floating the possibility of a life ban for anyone who causes death or serious injury in an off-the-ball incident, which I think would be sensible. Official Guide didn't have it before,  I don't think anyone foresaw an incident like this.

orangeman

Mark is  back playing. He's working in Croke Park. There was a programme on about him last week. Great to see him back.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/gaelic-games/26737988

Jinxy

Great to see him doing so well but I hope he is getting the best available medical advice on this.
He's had a long road to get to this point and while I completely understand he wants to get back playing, there are more important things in life than football.
I know if I was marking him I'd give him the run of the field before I'd put in a hard tackle on him.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

orangeman

Not often a Meath man pulls out.

haranguerer

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Never beat the deeler

Fair play to him on a remarkable recovery. Would echo the reservations above and hope he is taking medical advice at every stage.
It worries me a bit when he says "I know that I need to do some more training sessions to see if I am able to take a few hits.", but I presume he means from an aerobic fitness point of view.

On a side note, this comment from the doc confused me:
One of McGovern's doctors in San Francisco told McGovern that he had been "97.5% dead".

Is this something that can be measured? It's a very exact percentage. Or is it just something the doctor has pulled from his arse?
Hasta la victoria siempre