Cookstown Incident

Started by oakleaflad, March 18, 2019, 12:43:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ty4Sam

He has been dearrested now, what a shambles from the Police. Have they no compassion for the families of the kids?

Armagh18

Just been on news that he has been dearrrested with regards the drugs as none were found? ??? :o

Itchy

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Ty4Sam on March 20, 2019, 06:08:39 PM
He has been dearrested now, what a shambles from the Police. Have they no compassion for the families of the kids?

A very serious issue has descended into farce.

Over the Bar

Is it any wonder the PSNI has never gained support in the community? Would no-one with even half a brain in that shambles of a discredited force not stop to think. "Why don't we wait a couple of days until after the funerals before escalating an already tragic situation lest it causes further distress for the families"?

Mikhailov

Unbelievable!!!!

Mickey McElhatten just released a statement via BBC to say the substance found in his laundry by police was not drugs. Are the PSNI actually brain dead 🙄
No compassion shown whatsoever to the families involved never mind some actual common sense - should have delayed all this until next week - some detective outfit that is - keystone PSNI !!

tbrick18

Psni ballsed up there.
Yet plenty of people online had him hung drawn and quartered before he was de-arrested!

It goes to show, no-one should be pointing the finger of blame at anyone until all the facts are known.
Heresay and rumour are not facts, people on here talking about how much at fault the greenvale is. No-one knows if anyone was at fault, or if it's a case of a really bad accident.

RedHand88

So they found a white powder in his laundry room and went to town. Wonder was it in a big square box labelled "Surf"  ::)

LeoMc

That's not coffee and I'm not your mate!

36-03-09

Quote from: Armagh18 on March 20, 2019, 05:12:35 PM
Quote from: WT4E on March 20, 2019, 09:43:55 AM
Quote from: nrico2006 on March 20, 2019, 07:56:30 AM
Kid drinking would have a lot to do with it.  Gross negligence may be the cause or may not, but its as likely that the cause was those who were pushing the crowd forward for what they probably thought was a bit of craic.

Quote from: RedHand88 on March 20, 2019, 08:14:06 AM
There's alot of nervous teenagers knowing full well what they did, waiting on a knock on the door.

I don't understand this train of thought.... in fact I think its disgusting/disgraceful. This is the type of rhetoric that was coming from the Sun news paper after the hillsborough disaster:

'drunken fans'
'people pushing at the back new they where killing people'

These children have been let down .... end of.

I know Mickey McElhatton to be a nice man and will be heartbroken about this... in my opinion he has been let down by his door staff.
If you've ever queued to get in to a nightclub you'll know theres always an element of pushing and shoving, people get caught up and think its great craic, except this time it's tragically gone too far. None of the lads at the back who were pushing set put to hurt anyone of course and I'm sure they are feeling absolutely horrible about whats happened.

IF it transpires that people at the back were deliberately shoving for a laugh (and it wasn't just an "natural" crush, for want of a better term) then they should do time, and I hope they have the decency to never get a good night's sleep again.

Walter Cronc

Not sure if already mentioned but surely the police have to be held accountable here. The dogs on the street knew about underage drinking at the greenvale this past 20 years.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Walter Cronc on March 20, 2019, 08:10:20 PM
Not sure if already mentioned but surely the police have to be held accountable here. The dogs on the street knew about underage drinking at the greenvale this past 20 years.

Ah look, I'm no lover of the police but they've more important things to be at than a weekly raid of every bar in every town in the country. It is what it is. The police can't be held accountable for young ones getting steamed before they even set foot in/on a premises. Simply can't be done - the horse has bolted on that. It's simply unavoidable at this stage - I mean I've seen police shut down bars in Dungannon/Cookstown and Omagh over Easter Sunday but bar that - that's it. They simply don't have the numbers for what is a task that is well, well down the list.

I don't mean that to sound in any way disrespectful to the victims - nor do I intend to cause offence but whilst I get your point, what realistically can be done bar forming local groups and policing the matter themselves? Maybe that's something they talk of at these policing board meetings (do they even happen anymore?) I couldn't tell you.

Armagh18

I'd like to think that even the police have better things to be at than annoying young people having a few drinks.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Armagh18 on March 20, 2019, 09:23:06 PM
I'd like to think that even the police have better things to be at than annoying young people having a few drinks.

"Young people having a few drinks" turns towns into the wild west on weekend nights. Walk up the Portadown Rd in Lurgan, and as soon as you walk over the top of that overpass you're taking your life in your hands.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on March 20, 2019, 09:19:45 PM

Ah look, I'm no lover of the police but they've more important things to be at than a weekly raid of every bar in every town in the country. It is what it is. The police can't be held accountable for young ones getting steamed before they even set foot in/on a premises. Simply can't be done - the horse has bolted on that. It's simply unavoidable at this stage - I mean I've seen police shut down bars in Dungannon/Cookstown and Omagh over Easter Sunday but bar that - that's it. They simply don't have the numbers for what is a task that is well, well down the list.

I don't mean that to sound in any way disrespectful to the victims - nor do I intend to cause offence but whilst I get your point, what realistically can be done bar forming local groups and policing the matter themselves? Maybe that's something they talk of at these policing board meetings (do they even happen anymore?) I couldn't tell you.

Then what do the police think their job is? If they're not going to do it then what's the point in having them?

Vigilante groups is hardly the answer.