The future of laois hurling

Started by Tobias, October 27, 2015, 08:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blueandwhite1

Quote from: redsetanta on August 30, 2018, 02:41:29 PM
Could you have a situation where hurling coaches could go in to the secondary schools a couple of times a week? Or maybe the schols teams head up to Heywood fro a couple of evenings a week for some intensive coaching etc. I suppose the problem is that many of these kids are probably already on development squads. Are these squads training/meeting between now and January?

I think the points about playing population and schools are inter-linked. We really need strong hurling cultures in the primary and secondary schools in the big towns (esp. Portlaoise) if we are going to increase our playing populations. Does anyone know if strides are being taken here?

On the positive side, the competitive showings from our U14 / U15 teams are massively encouraging. I can't remember a time when we took scalps like Limerick, KK (2017 Forristal), Waterford, Wexford consistently at this level. In the past we have tried to develop players that had decent skills into inter-county players but we tried to 'add quality' later. If lads don't have all the skills by 15 they will never have them in my view. I have yet to see a player reach the right level having had average skills at U-14 so this is massively important. Critical that we build on this now as everyone has said but at least you can do that with high quality raw material.

burdizzo

Yes, what you say about a strong hurling culture is hugely important. In the central part of the county - around Portlaoise, Colt, Ratheniska, Shanahoe - hurling is just not an important enough game. Thus, even if a lad is good at it, the chances are he'll drift off into something else - football, soccer, rugby - which is somehow seen a 'sexier'. This problem doesn't really exist in Borris, Rathdowney, Camross, etc., where the game is more deeply rooted, but the decline of hurling in Portlaoise is a major problem for the county. My feeling is that the 'hurling culture' in Portlaoise schools is weak enough.

Chrimtain

What is the consensus on Martin Fogarty's idea for certain counties to amalgamate?

He suggests for example, that Carlow and Wicklow might do so for a club championship.

What about Laois and Offaly?

LooseCannon

Quote from: Chrimtain on September 06, 2018, 05:03:57 PM
What is the consensus on Martin Fogarty's idea for certain counties to amalgamate?

He suggests for example, that Carlow and Wicklow might do so for a club championship.

Our (OY) Championship is fine. Our main problem is that we've quite a few good club hurlers, however they lack the pace for inter-county hurling.

The PRO

Quote from: LooseCannon on September 06, 2018, 07:14:24 PM
Quote from: Chrimtain on September 06, 2018, 05:03:57 PM

Our (OY) Championship is fine. Our main problem is that we've quite a few good club hurlers, however they lack the pace for inter-county hurling.
I think he was thinking about weaker counties than Offaly or even Laois to be fair. More the likes of Cavan, Longford and Letrim for instance.
I'd have to say I'm not a fan of the Offaly SHC format though. Too many rounds in my opinion.

SpeculativeEffort

Fogarty is talking about counties with only 2 or 3 clubs. The likes of Cavan, Fermanagh, Longford etc have very few teams and very few games as a result. If they pooled resources theyd have 8-10 clubs for a cship. Laois has 6 grades of hurling with 8 teams in each. Thats a world away from the counties he is referring to.

Chrimtain

Quote from: SpeculativeEffort on September 07, 2018, 06:35:17 PM
Fogarty is talking about counties with only 2 or 3 clubs. The likes of Cavan, Fermanagh, Longford etc have very few teams and very few games as a result. If they pooled resources theyd have 8-10 clubs for a cship. Laois has 6 grades of hurling with 8 teams in each. Thats a world away from the counties he is referring to.

He mentioned Carlow, who are similar to Laois.

burdizzo

Carlow have way fewer hurling teams than Laois. Of course, that raises the question - why can they beat us at senior level when they have a far smaller pool to pick from?

merman

I see Ciaran Muldowney has stepped down as a Laois GDA.

RedHand88

Quote from: SpeculativeEffort on September 07, 2018, 06:35:17 PM

Are there really 48 hurling teams in the Laois league!?

burdizzo

No, there were 60 entered in the leagues; but Division 5A and 5B would be a bit hit and miss.

SpeculativeEffort

Yes there would be approx 48 teams but one or 2 might not field. This is teams not not clubs. Some(not many) clubs field 4 teams.

RedHand88

Quote from: SpeculativeEffort on September 09, 2018, 07:13:29 PM
Yes there would be approx 48 teams but one or 2 might not field. This is teams not not clubs. Some(not many) clubs field 4 teams.

Aye I suspected that was the case. Still though that's impressive and I never knew hurling was as big there.

LooseCannon

Quote from: RedHand88 on September 10, 2018, 12:50:28 PM

Aye I suspected that was the case. Still though that's impressive and I never knew hurling was as big there.
That's more than in Offaly!

Don Draper

Quote from: LooseCannon on September 10, 2018, 04:34:48 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on September 10, 2018, 12:50:28 PM

That's more than in Offaly!
Well done, have a choc ice