Car Insurance!!!!!

Started by balladmaker, January 21, 2010, 07:18:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BenDover

Quote from: Jimmy on May 12, 2010, 07:25:23 PM
My insurance is now up at the end of May. Am currently with Open & Direct and the renewal price came in dearer than last year. Has anyone else experienced this. Apparently car insurance has gone up this year generally.

However, went into a place close to work at lunch time and got quoted a price of £360 compared to the £414 of my renewal price so I was happy enough with that. However they first quoted £518 but were soon able to find something else when I told them the price I already had. Will change over this month. Am also going to forget about the direct debit this year and just pay all in one go. It was an extra £40-50 just to pay monthly!

My insurance is up end of May as well, got a good quote from Open & Direct but I'd be interested to know the name of this other firm you went to Jimmy - see if they can do anything for me?

sammymaguire

My insurance is now up at the end of May. Am currently with Open & Direct and the renewal price came in dearer than last year. Has anyone else experienced this. Apparently car insurance has gone up this year generally.

However, went into a place close to work at lunch time and got quoted a price of £360 compared to the £414 of my renewal price so I was happy enough with that. However they first quoted £518 but were soon able to find something else when I told them the price I already had. Will change over this month. Am also going to forget about the direct debit this year and just pay all in one go. It was an extra £40-50 just to pay monthly!

Yes, my renewal quote from Axa has gone from £560 to £630... and I am getting older, the car is getting older, the premiums are on the rise according to them, I reckon they think a major player is on the ropes so lets just crank it up a bit on every policy as no-one will go for Quinn now
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: sammymaguire on May 13, 2010, 09:17:25 AM

Yes, my renewal quote from Axa has gone from £560 to £630... and I am getting older, the car is getting older, the premiums are on the rise according to them, I reckon they think a major player is on the ropes so lets just crank it up a bit on every policy as no-one will go for Quinn now

We are with Quinn in the South at the minute but are moving back north.  To transfer ourbusiness with Quinn it will cost us £1100 to take out a new policy.  I went to Autoline in Newry and got a quote for Axa coming in at £345.  I know Quinn are trying to reduce their business but that is silly.  The thing too is the guy who quoted me is an old friend from school so I got a few extra quid off.  Anyone interested I can send you his direct line and details.

aontroim

Yes, my renewal quote from Axa has gone from £560 to £630
... and I am getting older, the car is getting older, the premiums are on the rise according to them, I reckon they think a major player is on the ropes so lets just crank it up a bit on every policy as no-one will go for Quinn now

Just got my renewal through from AXA and its the same if not slightly lower than last year.

westmayo

When looking for mine last year in Mayo called Hibernian and got quoted €800, went into their office in town and got it for €600, how can the same company have €200 in the difference from their call centre in Galway and the office in the town?

tyrone girl

That was happening me last year - through axa direct over the phone it was £160 quid dearer than Axa online. I couldnt seem to get it online cos they couldnt pick up my address online (new build nowhere seems able to pick up the house no). So they were basically telling me that because they couldnt give me an option to manually enter my address i had to pay £160 more.

Jimmy

Quote from: BenDover on May 13, 2010, 09:07:14 AM

My insurance is up end of May as well, got a good quote from Open & Direct but I'd be interested to know the name of this other firm you went to Jimmy - see if they can do anything for me?

It was Hughes Insurance. Called into their branch in Magherafelt during lunch one day.

screenexile

I've been working in Commercial Insurance for the last 6 months but due to the amount of calls we've been getting I've been fired into the Private Car department.

In the wake of Jeromegate I won't mention what company I work for but it is a reputable NI Broker so if anyone is looking for a quote they can pm me.

Anyway I know people go mad about being charged a certain Renewal premium then going back and getting it quoted an extra £50-60 cheaper but that is just the way it works. Insurance Companies won't  budge their price unless they are up against something else.

Brokers are really caught in the middle of this then as certain Brokers will have deals with different Insurance companies which is why you could ring Hughes for an Axa quote and then ring Caulfields and also get an Axa quote 15-20% cheaper.

Also at different times of the year certain Insurance companies will be cheaper than others. We are in the middle of trying to get a deal with a major insurance company that will bring us huge business but you can be sure 5/6 months down the line when the claims come in the premiums will be whacked up and we will no longer be competitive.

I've only started in Private Car anyway and its a bit of a head melter to be honest but if anyone has any questions I'll do my best to answer them.

supersarsfields

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on May 13, 2010, 10:07:01 AM

We are with Quinn in the South at the minute but are moving back north.  To transfer ourbusiness with Quinn it will cost us £1100 to take out a new policy.  I went to Autoline in Newry and got a quote for Axa coming in at £345.  I know Quinn are trying to reduce their business but that is silly.  The thing too is the guy who quoted me is an old friend from school so I got a few extra quid off.  Anyone interested I can send you his direct line and details.

Unfortunately this isn't Quinn's choice BC. He is being priced out of it by the regulator imposing price increases. There'll be a knock on effect of this which all insurance costs increasing slightly. Until the time comes that the regulator steps away from QD they're not going to be competitive in the UK and NI markets. It's slowly killing the business.

screenmachine

QuoteI've been working in Commercial Insurance for the last 6 months but due to the amount of calls we've been getting I've been fired into the Private Car department.

In the wake of Jeromegate I won't mention what company I work for but it is a reputable NI Broker so if anyone is looking for a quote they can pm me.

Anyway I know people go mad about being charged a certain Renewal premium then going back and getting it quoted an extra £50-60 cheaper but that is just the way it works. Insurance Companies won't  budge their price unless they are up against something else.

Brokers are really caught in the middle of this then as certain Brokers will have deals with different Insurance companies which is why you could ring Hughes for an Axa quote and then ring Caulfields and also get an Axa quote 15-20% cheaper.

Also at different times of the year certain Insurance companies will be cheaper than others. We are in the middle of trying to get a deal with a major insurance company that will bring us huge business but you can be sure 5/6 months down the line when the claims come in the premiums will be whacked up and we will no longer be competitive.

I've only started in Private Car anyway and its a bit of a head melter to be honest but if anyone has any questions I'll do my best to answer them.

Briefcase w**ker...
I'm gonna punch you in the ovary, that's what I'm gonna do. A straight shot. Right to the babymaker.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: supersarsfields on May 14, 2010, 09:39:59 AM

Unfortunately this isn't Quinn's choice BC. He is being priced out of it by the regulator imposing price increases. There'll be a knock on effect of this which all insurance costs increasing slightly. Until the time comes that the regulator steps away from QD they're not going to be competitive in the UK and NI markets. It's slowly killing the business.

I know sarsfield and I think it is a shame as it is going to have a major effect on the amount of business that the company can bring in.  Obviously push up the prices a bit but don't make it completely unrealistic.  Trust me there would be people who would be prepared to pay a small bit extra if it meant keeping QI afloat to save the jobs, me included, but not to the levels that were quoted to me.

supersarsfields

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on May 14, 2010, 09:47:03 AM
Quote from: supersarsfields on May 14, 2010, 09:39:59 AM

I know sarsfield and I think it is a shame as it is going to have a major effect on the amount of business that the company can bring in.  Obviously push up the prices a bit but don't make it completely unrealistic.  Trust me there would be people who would be prepared to pay a small bit extra if it meant keeping QI afloat to save the jobs, me included, but not to the levels that were quoted to me.

Yeah I think that's the way alot of people feel. But all we can do is hope they get back control over the pricing sooner rather than later.

on the sideline

Wel folks, looking for your help!

Trying to sort out my car insurance for the first time (ma normally does it for me!) and looking to know how does a no claims bonus  work.  Does it mean how long you have had insurance altogether without making a claim ie named driver for 6 years before being full policy holder for 1 year, is that 7 years no claims, or just 1 for the year of full policy holder?

Thanks

tyrone girl

Ud have to explain 6 years of that was named driving experience no claims i would think - but i think the only no claims that will count is that in your own name - cos named driving experience is effectively no claims on ur parents policy - id imagine the 1 years will count

ONeill

Got £333 for the year yesterday through Hughes.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.