Car Insurance!!!!!

Started by balladmaker, January 21, 2010, 07:18:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Quote from: ONeill on May 14, 2010, 04:25:39 PM
Got £333 for the year yesterday through Hughes.
Mine is due soon. What insurance group is your wagon?

screenexile

Quote from: on the sideline on May 14, 2010, 03:37:52 PM
Wel folks, looking for your help!

Trying to sort out my car insurance for the first time (ma normally does it for me!) and looking to know how does a no claims bonus  work.  Does it mean how long you have had insurance altogether without making a claim ie named driver for 6 years before being full policy holder for 1 year, is that 7 years no claims, or just 1 for the year of full policy holder?

Thanks

You will not have a no claims bonus as such but some companies will allow you an 'intro no claims bonus' to reflect your driving experience. You can then earn your full no claims bonus on ths policy and protect it when the time comes. Best to get insurance in your own name as soon as possible in my experience.

Franko

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12606610

Ridiculous ruling if you ask me.  What next - older drivers pay the same as a 17 year old to avoid age discrimination.

Some Brussels bureaucrat who has no clue of the real world making silly decisions.

thebigfella

Quote from: Franko on March 01, 2011, 11:48:11 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12606610

Ridiculous ruling if you ask me.  What next - older drivers pay the same as a 17 year old to avoid age discrimination.
Some Brussels bureaucrat who has no clue of the real world making silly decisions.

Wouldn't be a bad idea.

How about this, older drivers are periodically retested to ensure they are still fit to drive and if they don't get retested their premiums go through the roof. That's probably more relevent to the real world.

Franko

I reckon the way to get the younger drivers is by charging them a bigger excess but keeping premiums broadly the same across age groups.  That way you only punish the young drivers who actually are involved in an accident/driving carelessly and aboid the blunderbuss approach of high premiums for all under 25's.

supersarsfields

And the worst thing is it won't reduce male driver's insurance costs. Insurance firms will just hike females premiums to match so everyone loses out bar the insurance companies.

Franko

Quote from: supersarsfields on March 01, 2011, 01:28:07 PM
And the worst thing is it won't reduce male driver's insurance costs. Insurance firms will just hike females premiums to match so everyone loses out bar the insurance companies.

Without a doubt.  Average female premiums are expected to increase by as much as 40%.

Denn Forever

Could insurers relocated outside the EU and still insure in the EU?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Milltown Row2

Is the average price lower for women because they cause the accidents? Not noticed they have because they are applying make up during morning rush hour :o :o. other people (mostly men) crash after trying to avoid the make up applying women who drive on when their lippy has been applied!!

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Capt Pat

This is the correct decision and i cant beleive people are complaining. You have lost the run of yourselves after having to put up with discrimination for so long. I never had a crasj anf have had to pay for the drink driving social life of my rural cousins in my premiums, that was not fair.

Franko

Quote from: Capt Pat on March 01, 2011, 04:54:53 PM
This is the correct decision and i cant beleive people are complaining. You have lost the run of yourselves after having to put up with discrimination for so long. I never had a crasj anf have had to pay for the drink driving social life of my rural cousins in my premiums, that was not fair.

You'll still have to pay for that.

Capt Pat

At least the wimin will be carrying their fair share of the burden.

gallsman

Ridiculous ruling. Insurance premiums are based on statistics - cold hard facts. Young men cause and are more likely to be involved in crashes than women.

As asked, what next? You can't charge higher premiums to someone living in a dodgy area because it's discriminatory against people living in underprivileged areas?

dillinger

Doe's it mean they can't take say lifestyle into consideration? I smoke, drink bit too much. Will it mean i pay health/life insurance at the same rate as a non-smoking tee-totaler?

gallsman

Quote from: dillinger on March 01, 2011, 10:06:17 PM
Doe's it mean they can't take say lifestyle into consideration? I smoke, drink bit too much. Will it mean i pay health/life insurance at the same rate as a non-smoking tee-totaler?

Nope - but that's the road the insurance companies will surely point at. Where do you draw the line?