Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on October 18, 2019, 03:12:24 PM
Quote from: trailer on October 18, 2019, 11:18:23 AM
I don't think this is a good deal. I'm worried about barriers East West. Declarations, tarrifs, trusted trader schemes paperwork etc. I appreciate that it does avoid a hard border which is key but a NI only backstop would be a better solution. This deal I feel isolates NI from GB and the EU. It could be the worst of both worlds.

Not often I agree with you, but I'm broadly of the same attitude.

Its a terrible deal for NI.

A crash out no deal might even be better - as it would get folks backs up over being clearly and obviously hung out by the English and have many unionists (with a small u) seriously looking at a border poll. Whereas with this, its a bit more nefarious and nebulous enough for the DUP to sell the economic basket case as not of their or Westminster's doing - all Dublin's fault etc etc.

Why??

t_mac

Quote from: screenexile on October 18, 2019, 03:27:05 PM
I don't think this is a good deal. I'm worried about barriers East West. Declarations, tarrifs, trusted trader schemes paperwork etc. I appreciate that it does avoid a hard border which is key but a NI only backstop would be a better solution. This deal I feel isolates NI from GB and the EU. It could be the worst of both worlds.

A crash out no deal might even be better - as it would get folks backs up over being clearly and obviously hung out by the English and have many unionists (with a small u) seriously looking at a border poll. Whereas with this, its a bit more nefarious and nebulous enough for the DUP to sell the economic basket case as not of their or Westminster's doing - all Dublin's fault etc etc.

Why??

I was thinking the same!

Angelo

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on October 18, 2019, 01:10:17 PM
Quote from: Franko on October 18, 2019, 12:25:22 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on October 18, 2019, 10:27:30 AM
Sinn Féin are an irrelevance. Banging bin lids at the border, james mc clean shirts at Brussels, school boy politicians. Don't see myself as either a FF or FGer but my God the difference in standard of politician south of the border is stark. We have a pile of sub standard politicians up here who are only there because the Brits pushed them to where they are.

We have plenty of terrible politicians no doubt - but to hold up the 26 as being any better is total horse shit.

Then look across the pond.
If Brexit has done anything it has exposed for the world to see, the lack of brains and talent within the British political class.

And then try looking across the other pond...  ;D

Switch on RTE 1. Then switch on Radio Ulster. 10 mins will be enough to convince anyone that ROI is in a different league on all things political. Look at Varadkar and Coveney. They look like statesmen. Then look at Michelle O'Neill and Anderson. They look like and sound like fishwives.

A chap writing fan mail to Kylie Minogue is statesmanlike? Right.

Some of the gaffes Varadkar has been involved in since he took office make him look as detached from the common man as can be.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

tyrone08

Quote from: t_mac on October 18, 2019, 03:43:22 PM

Why??

I was thinking the same!

How is it a terrible deal for NI?

No hard border
Close ties with main trading partner
Will benefit from any trading deals UK strikes
Strong chance companies will invest in NI due to links with EU and UK

Have I missed something?

weareros

Why??

I was thinking the same!

But what would protect Irish economy if we got no deal. a border poll would have little chance if we became an economic basket case too, plus we would have been forced to put up a border to protect Irish agriculture. Gov did a good job of making Boris look like the bad guy as regards hard border. They will be praying this passes the HOC vote, or shit might really be hitting the fan soon.

BennyCake

Quote from: Angelo on October 18, 2019, 03:53:57 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on October 18, 2019, 01:10:17 PM
Quote from: Franko on October 18, 2019, 12:25:22 PM
Sinn Féin are an irrelevance. Banging bin lids at the border, james mc clean shirts at Brussels, school boy politicians. Don't see myself as either a FF or FGer but my God the difference in standard of politician south of the border is stark. We have a pile of sub standard politicians up here who are only there because the Brits pushed them to where they are.

We have plenty of terrible politicians no doubt - but to hold up the 26 as being any better is total horse shit.

Then look across the pond.
If Brexit has done anything it has exposed for the world to see, the lack of brains and talent within the British political class.

And then try looking across the other pond...  ;D

Switch on RTE 1. Then switch on Radio Ulster. 10 mins will be enough to convince anyone that ROI is in a different league on all things political. Look at Varadkar and Coveney. They look like statesmen. Then look at Michelle O'Neill and Anderson. They look like and sound like fishwives.

A chap writing fan mail to Kylie Minogue is statesmanlike? Right.

Some of the gaffes Varadkar has been involved in since he took office make him look as detached from the common man as can be.

I've always said it, Varadkar is a spineless arselicker. My opinion of him hasn't changed.

He does what he's told by Europe, regardless of the consequences for the economy/jobs/trade in the South or the North. He's no different than the DUP who will do anything to preserve their precious Union, regardless of the consequences.

t_mac

Quote from: tyrone08 on October 18, 2019, 03:58:39 PM

Why??

I was thinking the same!

No hard border

Have I missed something?

I am in agreement with yourself,  I was thinking why some thought it was a bad deal for NI.

Jell 0 Biafra

Isn't there a vote every four years for unionists to reject the agreement?

tyrone08

Quote from: t_mac on October 18, 2019, 04:04:54 PM

Why??

I was thinking the same!

No hard border

Have I missed something?

I am in agreement with yourself,  I was thinking why some thought it was a bad deal for NI.

General rule is if the DUP don't like it then it must be good lol.

No fan of Boris or tories but it's stupid when the likes of Labour or snp come out and say the deal is horrible or worse than May's deal without stating any examples as to why its bad. Its almost child like, I don't like it, why, not saying why.

Rossfan

Every 4 years for a MAJORITY to reject the deal.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Sportacus

Why??

I was thinking the same!

No hard border

Have I missed something?

Bad deal because everything you list we already currently enjoy, but now we're faced with bureaucracy getting goods into the North from GB which will drive up some costs of living.  So it's a net loss.  We would have a bit of an advantage over Eng Scot & Wales businesses trying to export into EU, but 4 yearly spiteful debate about which way to align will kill off investor interest.  But under the circumstances I'm tempted to think it's better than a No Deal and the Irish Sea border is another step in the right direction.

marty34

You hate SF - fair enough but you're blinkered by saying politicans in south are a class apart.  Look at the health service, the new children's hospital, not to mention the housing/ homelessness crisis.

Look at Boris across the way, then check out Mr. Trump in America - great characters who are in the top role.

I think you just want a dig at SF for whatever reason. 

marty34

Quote from: tyrone08 on October 18, 2019, 04:09:20 PM

Why??

I was thinking the same!

No hard border

Have I missed something?

General rule is if the DUP don't like it then it must be good lol.

No fan of Boris or tories but it's stupid when the likes of Labour or snp come out and say the deal is horrible or worse than May's deal without stating any examples as to why its bad. Its almost child like, I don't like it, why, not saying why.

True - seems it a lose for unionists and a win for nationalists...depending what side you're on but I don't think there are any winners.

It will play out a bit yet I'd say.

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: Rossfan on October 18, 2019, 04:10:16 PM

A majority in Stormont?  Or a majority in Stormont amongst both communities? Or a referendum?

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on October 18, 2019, 04:16:14 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on October 18, 2019, 04:10:16 PM

A majority in Stormont?  Or a majority in Stormont amongst both communities? Or a referendum?

Stormont I think.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.