FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by CĂșig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

highorlow

Just had a quick read of the rules and I think if all 3 are on 15 points we need to beat Denmark 1 nil and we go through on the away goal. Obviously the " just one win from the last two games" was fake news.

Good call weareros, unless I'm wrong on this.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

weareros

Quote from: highorlow on October 15, 2019, 11:06:24 PM
Just had a quick read of the rules and I think if all 3 are on 15 points we need to beat Denmark 1 nil and we go through on the away goal. Obviously the " just one win from the last two games" was fake news.

Good call weareros, unless I'm wrong on this.

These are tie-break rules and a 1-0 victory would not be enough if 3 are on 15, as we are -2, Denmark +1 and Swiss +1. If just Irl and Den are on 15, we are fine with any sort of victory.

Higher number of points obtained in the matches played among the teams in question;
Superior goal difference in matches played among the teams in question;
Higher number of goals scored in the matches played among the teams in question;

An Watcher

Lads ffs, Switzerland are at home to Georgia, not away. If they had to go to Tbilisi then you'd have an argument. You are correct but really, Switzerland will not drop points at home to Georgia with qualification resting on it.
Ireland beat Denmark and they'll be through.

clarshack

It doesn't matter cos we ain't beating Denmark in the last game.

Esmarelda

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 15, 2019, 10:05:44 PM
Would the republic want to qualify?
Could there be another reason they entered the competition?

shark

Quote from: Esmarelda on October 16, 2019, 10:36:26 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 15, 2019, 10:05:44 PM
Would the republic want to qualify?
Could there be another reason they entered the competition?

Would they want to qualify? for a tournament in which they would have 2 of their 3 group games in Dublin?
Yeah, I'd say so.

A playoff between Rep Ireland and N.Ireland is a distinct possibility.

NAG1

Quote from: An Watcher on October 16, 2019, 06:29:33 AM
Lads ffs, Switzerland are at home to Georgia, not away. If they had to go to Tbilisi then you'd have an argument. You are correct but really, Switzerland will not drop points at home to Georgia with qualification resting on it.
Ireland beat Denmark and they'll be through.

Going on last night they will do well to see the ball against Denmark let alone beat them.

I don't think I have seen worse international players than a few that were on show last night in a very long time. Scary stuff.

shark

Slow morning, so here are the playoff possibilities. I've presumed that Ireland, N.Ireland, Serbia, and Kosovo all miss out on top two. Also that Sweden can hold off Romania (they only need to beat Faroes to do so).
The Wales/Hungary/Slovakia race for 2nd place is hard to call, but apart from those teams themselves, the outcome would only affect N.Ireland.

If Hungary get 2nd place:
Group A - Iceland, Wales, Slovakia, Ireland.
Group B - Bosnia, N.Ireland, Bulgaria, Israel.
Group C - Norway, Scotland, Serbia, Romania.
Group D - Belarus, N. Macedonia, Georgia, Kosovo

If Wales/Slovakia get 2nd place:
Group A - Iceland, Wales/Slovakia, Ireland, N.Ireland.
Group B - Bosnia, Bulgaria, Israel, Hungary.

Semi Finals are 1st v 4th, and 2nd v 3rd. 1st and 2nd with home advantage.
Finals neutral venue

AZOffaly

The playoffs are a knockout competition as well? Jesus.

shark

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 16, 2019, 11:40:23 AM
The playoffs are a knockout competition as well? Jesus.

Yep.
N.Ireland would certainly rather be in Group B than Group A. I think they'd win Group B. You'd have to fancy Serbia and Kosovo for C and D, based on the above breakdown. Kosovo could still get second in their group yet though, putting Czechia in to the playoffs and pushing N.Ireland (and possibly Ireland too) in to Group B. If both went to Group B then they would play each other in Dublin in the semi. Bosnia don't move from 1st seed in B.

magpie seanie

I don't watch our national team a lot but saw the whole thing last night. Was pretty surprised by several aspects of it. Mostly the experienced players who were absolutely awful. Coleman, McClean, Hendrick - all lads I've seen perform very well in the past were seriously bad last night. They looked pretty clueless at times. Randolph, Duffy, Egan and Glenn Whelan were our best players. Stevens was ok. Most of the rest I'd rather not talk about. Felt sorry for Aaron Connolly. Absolutely no support from the players around him, moved round different positions and then taken off for a guy whose main successes have been in League 2 and the Northern Premier League Div1. He wasn't playing all that well but you could see there's a bit about him and he could nick a goal. The Swiss weren't all that comfortable when balls were thrown into the box....I'd have left him on.

Can't understand why Shane Long isn't in this squad. He won't get many goals but surely he's better than some of these journeymen who don't score goals either. What about Hourihane? I didn't hear he was injured?

macdanger2

Quote from: shark on October 16, 2019, 11:26:10 AM
Slow morning, so here are the playoff possibilities. I've presumed that Ireland, N.Ireland, Serbia, and Kosovo all miss out on top two. Also that Sweden can hold off Romania (they only need to beat Faroes to do so).
The Wales/Hungary/Slovakia race for 2nd place is hard to call, but apart from those teams themselves, the outcome would only affect N.Ireland.

If Hungary get 2nd place:
Group A - Iceland, Wales, Slovakia, Ireland.
Group B - Bosnia, N.Ireland, Bulgaria, Israel.

If Wales/Slovakia get 2nd place:
Group A - Iceland, Wales/Slovakia, Ireland, N.Ireland.
Group B - Bosnia, Bulgaria, Israel, Hungary.

Semi Finals are 1st v 4th, and 2nd v 3rd. 1st and 2nd with home advantage.
Finals neutral venue

Cheers shark, didn't realise all that

NAG1

Quote from: magpie seanie on October 16, 2019, 11:51:11 AM
I don't watch our national team a lot but saw the whole thing last night. Was pretty surprised by several aspects of it. Mostly the experienced players who were absolutely awful. Coleman, McClean, Hendrick - all lads I've seen perform very well in the past were seriously bad last night. They looked pretty clueless at times. Randolph, Duffy, Egan and Glenn Whelan were our best players. Stevens was ok. Most of the rest I'd rather not talk about. Felt sorry for Aaron Connolly. Absolutely no support from the players around him, moved round different positions and then taken off for a guy whose main successes have been in League 2 and the Northern Premier League Div1. He wasn't playing all that well but you could see there's a bit about him and he could nick a goal. The Swiss weren't all that comfortable when balls were thrown into the box....I'd have left him on.

Can't understand why Shane Long isn't in this squad. He won't get many goals but surely he's better than some of these journeymen who don't score goals either. What about Hourihane? I didn't hear he was injured?

Please tell me you are joking with this one MS?

BennyCake

Whelan played well, from what I seen.

I take back my earlier 35 year old Whelan comment.

NAG1

Quote from: BennyCake on October 16, 2019, 12:24:21 PM
Whelan played well, from what I seen.

I take back my earlier 35 year old Whelan comment.

I must have watched a different game then lads, I thought he was pure dross.