Cake Curran Retires

Started by Syferus, October 04, 2014, 03:51:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: seafoid on October 04, 2014, 08:21:25 PM
Quote from: larryin89 on October 04, 2014, 07:45:36 PM
If or were free it would make good bog roll.
would that be Ming^s bog ?
looks like an interesting book but i would only buy it with a foreword by Syfin

The foreword would be longer than the book.

muppet

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on October 05, 2014, 10:06:37 PM
Quote from: seafoid on October 04, 2014, 08:21:25 PM
Quote from: larryin89 on October 04, 2014, 07:45:36 PM
If or were free it would make good bog roll.
would that be Ming^s bog ?
looks like an interesting book but i would only buy it with a foreword by Syfin

The foreword would be longer than the book.

The forehead would be longer than the book.
MWWSI 2017

Jinxy

I heard the book is going to be launched from the bus.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Syferus

Quote from: Jinxy on October 06, 2014, 06:49:38 PM
I heard the book is going to be launched from the bus.

The bus has a cannon?

Farrandeelin

Quote from: moysider on October 04, 2014, 08:21:43 PM
Great character. Ye gotta love him.

Hmmmm. Wonder does he mention the times he used to Vaseline other keepers' gloves before matches?

Exactly, regardless of where you're from, he's some man for one man.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

moysider

I just want to read about the Vaseline!

ck

One of the all time characters of the game. I'd certainly buy the book. Had the pleasure of meeting him on a few occasions too, a pure gent

GalwayBayBoy

I see The Mort is bringing out his own blockbuster as well.

OKAY, there's no point 'burying the lead story' here so let's get straight to the point.
Conor Mortimer has written a book. Yes, that Conor Mortimer.
And it's coming our way very, very soon.
Shrule's most famous son, Mayo's all-time leading scorer, and the man who parted company with James Horan's county squad back in 2012, just as things were starting to get interesting, has put his thoughts down on paper. For better or worse!
Conor lives and works in Dublin these days, and is engaged to be married to Sara Bergin.
He also plays club football in the capital with Parnells.
Anyone who follows 'The Mort' on twitter will tell you he seems to have lost none of his lust for life since the curtain came down on his Mayo career, and he has an opinion on everything from the Oscar Pistorious murder trial to the welfare of cats to the performance of Mayo's forwardline in his absence.
So we can only imagine what sort of 'gold' that Jackie Cahill (a well-known GAA freelance reporter from Tipperary), who has written the book with Conor, has managed to extract from the mind of 'The Mort'.
It's safe to assume that a copy might find its way into James Horan's hand at some stage over the Christmas too, given that the ex-manager and the blonde bombshell didn't exactly part on the best of terms two years ago.
Neither party has ever expanded much on what exactly was said, or happened, on that particular Connacht Final week in July of 2012, so it will be fascinating to read Mortimer's version of events.
Equally interesting will be his take on 'Jerseygate', the day he threw his Mayo jersey away in disgust after being taken off against Limerick in an All-Ireland Qualifier in 2002.
The former Shrule/Glencorrib corner-forward took a lot of timber at the time for his instinctive reaction and we always got the impression it was something that he never truly forgot, or forgave.
Personally, we hope Conor tells the story of how he came to have 'RIP Micheal Jackson' written on a t-shirt under his jersey the day Mayo beat Galway in the 2009 Connacht Final in Salthill.
The sight of him showing off his tribute to the late 'King of Pop' remains one of the iconic Mayo GAA images from the last ten years, and I have no doubt that hearing how it came about will be worth waiting for!
The Mayo launch of Conor's book takes place on Thursday, October 30 in the McWilliam Park Hotel, Claremorris with a Dublin launch pencilled in for the following week.

moysider

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on October 08, 2014, 12:04:25 AM

OKAY, there's no point 'burying the lead story' here so let's get straight to the point.
Shrule's most famous son, Mayo's all-time leading scorer, and the man who parted company with James Horan's county squad back in 2012, just as things were starting to get interesting, has put his thoughts down on paper. For better or worse!
Conor lives and works in Dublin these days, and is engaged to be married to Sara Bergin.
Anyone who follows 'The Mort' on twitter will tell you he seems to have lost none of his lust for life since the curtain came down on his Mayo career, and he has an opinion on everything from the Oscar Pistorious murder trial to the welfare of cats to the performance of Mayo's forwardline in his absence.
So we can only imagine what sort of 'gold' that Jackie Cahill (a well-known GAA freelance reporter from Tipperary), who has written the book with Conor, has managed to extract from the mind of 'The Mort'.
It's safe to assume that a copy might find its way into James Horan's hand at some stage over the Christmas too, given that the ex-manager and the blonde bombshell didn't exactly part on the best of terms two years ago.
Neither party has ever expanded much on what exactly was said, or happened, on that particular Connacht Final week in July of 2012, so it will be fascinating to read Mortimer's version of events.
Equally interesting will be his take on 'Jerseygate', the day he threw his Mayo jersey away in disgust after being taken off against Limerick in an All-Ireland Qualifier in 2002.
The former Shrule/Glencorrib corner-forward took a lot of timber at the time for his instinctive reaction and we always got the impression it was something that he never truly forgot, or forgave.
Personally, we hope Conor tells the story of how he came to have 'RIP Micheal Jackson' written on a t-shirt under his jersey the day Mayo beat Galway in the 2009 Connacht Final in Salthill.
The sight of him showing off his tribute to the late 'King of Pop' remains one of the iconic Mayo GAA images from the last ten years, and I have no doubt that hearing how it came about will be worth waiting for!
The Mayo launch of Conor's book takes place on Thursday, October 30 in the McWilliam Park Hotel, Claremorris with a Dublin launch pencilled in for the following week.

Ah,well.

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: Syferus on October 04, 2014, 03:51:19 PM
"It was thuggery," he says seriously. . . There is a parochial level of jealousies that it is a part of Irish life, be it sport, politics or business. If certain people don't measure up to skills or standards, they will find a way of trying to down you. . .

"I do think the GAA has changed – although when you see what happened to Paul Galvin you would wonder. In the late 1980s though, there was a lot of pure . . . thuggery is the only word. It was ugly. There were guys masquerading as footballers who just wanted to take guys out of it. I would have been one of the better players in Roscommon then and the level of dogging you got was unnatural – auld thumps around the back of the head, no manliness to it. . . .
All grand, but I remember Curran hitting Niall McNamee a cheap shot as he went by him in the 2003 qualifier between Offaly and Roscommon.
The teams were coming back onto the field for extra time McNamee, who was 17 at the time, wasn't even looking when Curran struck him as he walked by.
McNamee played on after getting treatment, but if I remember correctly ended up spending the night in Mullingar hospital under observation.

Dangleberrys

Oh dear

Jinxy

He should call it 'MORTIFIED'.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

muppet

Quote from: moysider on October 08, 2014, 12:15:16 AM

Ah,well.

He banned me from following him on twitter, possibly after I christened the FF line that year The Killer, The Pillar & The Thriller.

Oh well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8RhZDGLEXM
MWWSI 2017

whitey

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on October 08, 2014, 01:58:49 PM
Quote from: Syferus on October 04, 2014, 03:51:19 PM
"It was thuggery," he says seriously. . . There is a parochial level of jealousies that it is a part of Irish life, be it sport, politics or business. If certain people don't measure up to skills or standards, they will find a way of trying to down you. . .

"I do think the GAA has changed – although when you see what happened to Paul Galvin you would wonder. In the late 1980s though, there was a lot of pure . . . thuggery is the only word. It was ugly. There were guys masquerading as footballers who just wanted to take guys out of it. I would have been one of the better players in Roscommon then and the level of dogging you got was unnatural – auld thumps around the back of the head, no manliness to it. . . .
All grand, but I remember Curran hitting Niall McNamee a cheap shot as he went by him in the 2003 qualifier between Offaly and Roscommon.
The teams were coming back onto the field for extra time McNamee, who was 17 at the time, wasn't even looking when Curran struck him as he walked by.
McNamee played on after getting treatment, but if I remember correctly ended up spending the night in Mullingar hospital under observation.

Or when he came flying out and clattered Neil Douglas with two knees into the back in the Connaught club final

Rossfan

Rhubarbs ruining another Rossie thread  >:(
I believe the bookeen is in my Christmas Stocking already  8)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM