Sean Brady Has Retired.

Are you glad to see him go?
42 (80.8%)
Are you sad to see him go?
10 (19.2%)

Total Members Voted: 52

ludermor

Quote from: T Fearon on October 01, 2014, 10:57:09 AM
Insubordination and dissent is not good for any organisation.The last time this happened on a major basis in Catholic Church protestantism resulted.The decisions of the hierarchy must be obeyed without question as they are divinely informed at all times.
Sgt McCabe would have had come craic coming to you with his issues.

Lar Naparka

Insubordination and dissent is not good for any organisation.The last time this happened on a major basis in Catholic Church protestantism resulted.The decisions of the hierarchy must be obeyed without question as they are divinely informed at all times.

Tony, I get a nagging feeling that you are being serious here. ;D ;D
Were Brady and his ilk "divinely informed" when they allowed child abusers to operate without fear of discovery?
You blindly follow the Church line that those who die in a state of mortal sin are basically fooked for eternity. Yet those who were involved in the clerical child abuse scandal, facilitators and perpetrators alike, weren't too worried about the afterlife as they went about breaking the laws of man and god.
Tony, the reason why the church is haemorrhaging numbers today has less to do with secularism than with hypocrisy; the hypocrisy of those whose motto is, "Do as I say and not as I do."
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

T Fearon

Brady wasn't part of the hierarchy in 1975.I am saying that Church governance must be supremely hierarchical otherwise anarchy and schisms will result.The idea of trying to tell a Cardinal he is not welcome at a Confirmation Ceremony in his own diocese is ludicrous.

muppet

Quote from: T Fearon on October 01, 2014, 04:50:12 PM
Brady wasn't part of the hierarchy in 1975.I am saying that Church governance must be supremely hierarchical otherwise anarchy and schisms will result.The idea of trying to tell a Cardinal he is not welcome at a Confirmation Ceremony in his own diocese is ludicrous.

In 1975 Brady was the investigator acting on behalf of the Church and thus its hierarchy.

You seem to miss the point on the latter issue as well. The people didn't want Brady. You seem to be genuinely astonished at this but then that would explain your astonishing contribution to this thread.
MWWSI 2017

T Fearon

So if the people across the world didn't want a Pope another one should be appointed?

seafoid

Quote from: muppet on October 01, 2014, 11:32:02 AM

Yes Tony, the last time the Church misbehaved so poorly, it split. Hard to know what God was thinking when he divinely led the Church down that road.
God wanted the Troubles, Muppet. The middle ages split with the Protestants was divine and any violence thus resulting  was acceptable under infallibility.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

muppet

Quote from: T Fearon on October 01, 2014, 05:52:56 PM
So if the people across the world didn't want a Pope another one should be appointed?

How about debating reality instead of red herrings all the time?
MWWSI 2017

T Fearon

Same thing.People obey their pastors that's what tote Bible says

AhNowRef

Quote from: T Fearon on September 30, 2014, 06:39:34 PM
You can tell by the style and tone that this writer is totally objective with no axe to grind whatsoever::)

Quote from: T Fearon on September 30, 2014, 09:56:10 PM
Er,the Church,particularly the Head of same,tells parishioners what's happening , not the other way round

I get it now .. you're "obviously" some sort of sicko windup merchant .. Either that or you're genuinely every bit as bad as the facilitators, intimidators etc.. within the Church itself .. Same views = Same type of person !!

It would actually be funny if it wasn't such a serious issue !

You constantly blame everyone but the corrupt within the church for the corruption within the church ... And again your last point above about Protestantism being brought about by dissent & insubordination is truly laughable ... No mention of all the hideous things the church was doing in those days.....   The fact is that there is another reformation going on right now under the Churches noses and again this one was/is completely their own fault .. And its views like yours which have caused it and I can only hope that there aren't enough of your ilk left to totally destroy it altogether.

Maybe you should have a wee word in Sean's ear .. Im sure you'd both be on for bringing a bit of the aul "Simony" back  :-/

I truly hope that no person of any age is ever in a position where you are their only hope of the "right" decision being made for them!

muppet

Quote from: T Fearon on October 01, 2014, 06:03:30 PM
Same thing.People obey their pastors that's what tote Bible says

Where does it say that?
MWWSI 2017

seafoid

Insubordination and dissent is not good for any organisation.[/b]The last time this happened on a major basis in Catholic Church protestantism resulted.The decisions of the hierarchy must be obeyed without question as they are divinely informed at all times.
They would have saved AIB 
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

LCohen

Quote from: seafoid on October 01, 2014, 06:07:25 PM
Insubordination and dissent is not good for any organisation.[/b]The last time this happened on a major basis in Catholic Church protestantism resulted.The decisions of the hierarchy must be obeyed without question as they are divinely informed at all times.
They would have saved AIB
Absolutely hits the nail on the head there.

The misguided and unquestioning adherence to doing what someone tells you to do purely because of their position within the church has in the end done great damage to the church (which I don't care about) and great damage to society (which we all should very much care about).

I see the NI inquiry into historical abuse has moved on to Kircubbin. The dealings of our old friends Smyth and Brady will come to the fore again. People should note that this is not a criminal inquiry and is not about determining the rights and wrongs of individual clains. The inquiry merely seeks to establish if there has been systemic failings. On the parts of the inquiry which touches upon the dealings of the Catholic Church the issues of reliance on Canon Law (when it falls short of general morality or falls short of/is in direct conflict with criminal law) and the sanctity of the Confessional are likely to be blown out of the water. The degree of cooperation with this and previous inquiries is very likely to draw significant comment.

The rate at which individual criminal or civil actions are brought forward or determined is likely to accelerate when this inquiry comes to a close.

T Fearon

I doubt the systems and procedures and protection of humans in any organisation 50 years ago will not stand up to scrutiny when compared with modern day standards.Even the British Govt failed to guarantee basic civil rights for a substantial number of its citizens here for close on 60 years, but I see no witchhunt for this.

muppet

Quote from: T Fearon on October 03, 2014, 11:32:51 AM
I doubt the systems and procedures and protection of humans in any organisation 50 years ago will not stand up to scrutiny when compared with modern day standards.Even the British Govt failed to guarantee basic civil rights for a substantial number of its citizens here for close on 60 years, but I see no witchhunt for this.

Other than the 30 years of war, yea no one was bothered about it.  ::)
MWWSI 2017

LCohen

Quote from: T Fearon on October 03, 2014, 11:32:51 AM

Flicking through the terms of reference of the inquiry here and I can see no reference to the organisations being scutinised being subject to 2014 standards.

Secondly are you saying that the inquiry is pointless as systemic failings will be found everywhere they are looked for?

Are you arguing that rates of anal rape of children will be same in all institutions, rate of cover-up/issue avoidance will be the same in every organisation. What will your reaction be if it is found that the level (in quantum) of abuse was higher in institutions run by arms of the catholic church? that failure to investigate/act peaks with arms of the catholic church?

You might want to start working on that now