Previous topic - Next topic

Sean Brady Has Retired.

Are you glad to see him go?
42 (80.8%)
Are you sad to see him go?
10 (19.2%)

Total Members Voted: 52

T Fearon

You would admit that the respective treatment of these two ageing clerics is a tad unfair all the same,would you not?

Hardy

You wouldn't admit that your respective treatment of a facilitator of child rape and the victims of child rape is a tad unfair, would you?

muppet

Quote from: T Fearon on September 11, 2014, 07:20:52 AM
Muppet what is it about Brady acknowledging his mistakes and apologising (as recently as earlier this week once again) that you don't understand? What more do you require of him at this stage? Is there any one of us who hasn't a few skeletons in the cupboard?

He has not apologised remotely sufficiently.

He accepted the job of Primate of All-Ireland, after his predecessor stood down over Smyth, without putting his own hand up about Smyth.

That looks bad, even by 1990s standards.

When victims sought documents on their own abuse, the Church, of which he was now head, refused to release the documents. The truth only came out when proceedings were initiated against him personally, and thus the courts would insist on discovery of the documents.

That looks even worse, and now he is judged by today's public standards because, imho, he didn't come clean earlier.

Now that he is out of the big job I hope that he presents himself to the Dundalk Gardai and makes a complete statement to them voluntarily. After, all the cover ups, denying the release of documents and 'merely a notary' spin, seeing something selfless from him after all these years, the victims might accept his apology.
MWWSI 2017

T Fearon

He will do what he deserves to do,live out his days in prayer and peace

Lar Naparka

Here we go again, in case you missed it the first time!

Now, now Tone, you are evading the issue.
Point out anything you wish to challenge me on, like a good man.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

T Fearon

I have and will continue to challenge practically every point you have made

LCohen

I think even Tony will admit that Brady personally played a critical role in a process that allowed a compulsive child abuser to continue to offend (I have recently had the unfortunate cause to hear the details of what this abuse actually entailed), that that he lied about his role in this catastrophic event and that he headed an organisation that took deliberate steps to frustrate a legal inquiry into these events. Well wouldn't you Tony.

Added to that there is the suppression of the story when the big job came up.

When reflecting on Brady's honesty, integrity, morality etc this must be the starting point.

As it (rightly) is a legal offence to know off and not report a child abuser then i think it would be only right and proper for him to serve his sentence (I think the sentence is 3 years so he would be out in 18 months assuming he keeps his nose as well as those hands clean).

Lar Naparka

Quote from: T Fearon on September 11, 2014, 10:08:31 PM
I have and will continue to challenge practically every point you have made

Here we go again, in case you missed it the second time!

Now, now Tone, you are evading the issue.
Point out anything you wish to challenge me on, like a good man.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

mylestheslasher

Quote from: T Fearon on September 11, 2014, 09:46:50 PM
He will do what he deserves to do,live out his days in prayer and peace

The bible says an eye for an eye. I think Mr Brady would warrant something a bit harsher than a bit of peace to say his prayers.

T Fearon

Yawn,he did not facilitate a child abuser,he heard and reported the allegations accurately.How many times do I have to repeat this? He is not in police custody because he committed no crime

muppet

Quote from: T Fearon on September 11, 2014, 10:53:19 PM
Yawn,he did not facilitate a child abuser,he heard and reported the allegations accurately.How many times do I have to repeat this? He is not in police custody because he committed no crime

He was never interviewed because the Gardai did not know of his involvement. Remember the oaths of silence Tony? Have you figured out what their purpose was?

He should present himself to the Gardai and help them with their enquiries if he has a conscience.
MWWSI 2017

LCohen

Did he report the matter (and all the facts he was aware of) to the police?

Did he request that the key witnesses to any legal inquiry in fact take an oath of silence?

muppet

Quote from: LCohen on September 11, 2014, 10:56:30 PM

Did he report the matter (and all the facts he was aware of) to the police?

Did he request that the key witnesses to any legal inquiry in fact take an oath of silence?

Did he deny that he was an investigator until recently?
MWWSI 2017

orangeman

T Fearon

He has apologised for his omissions,neither Garda or PSNI are interested in speaking to him,what's left to see here?