42 (80.8%)
Are you sad to see him go?
10 (19.2%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Lar Naparka

Quote from: deiseach on September 09, 2014, 05:08:46 PM
What you posted.

Quote from: Lar Naparka on September 09, 2014, 04:42:15 PM
Yep  and you might as well go play handball against a haystack as trying to have a logical argument with him.
I started this topic with the hope that the discussion would move on to the aftermath of Brady's resignation.  What happens next?
Attacking Tony may help to lower blood pressure but it won't solve anything.
In the broader context, Brady was only a bit player also.
What about the Norbertine Order?
Smyth's superiors knew about his nefarious activities as far back as the late 40s but did nothing to stop him as he abused children everywhere he went. After he fled south, following his first conviction, his order continued to shield him until the RUC requested that he be extradited to the north to face charges.
Why has nobody from the Norbertine Order been brought to court to face charges. There's a wide selection to pick from.
What about DesmondConnell. the last Archbishop of Dublin?
He refused to co-operate with the gardai s until his successor threatened to bring civil charges against him unless he cooperated.
No mention of him being prosecuted but, IMO, he is at least as guilty as the abusers he tried to shield.
What about Brendan Comiskey and his predecessor as bishop of Ferns, Donal Herlihy and their failure to resort instances of child abuse to the authorities?

Ah, the list could go on and on but I'm feeling like Hardy right now and I know it's pointless to lose my  temper.
My point is that there are far bigger fish to fry than Tony Fearon. And the same goes for the laitcheko he's trying to defend.  Brady was only one of the very many who connived to put the welfare, as they saw it, of the church before the safety of children in their care.
So what happens next? .

What Tony sees.

Quote from: Lar Naparka on September 09, 2014, 04:42:15 PM
Brady was only a bit player.
Unfortunately, you are dead right. ;D
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

T Fearon

That's what happens nowadays,all organisations have learned lessons,British government whitewashed the Bloody Sunday murders,but the current British PM has apologised for them,similarly a priest facing an allegation these days is immediately stood down.

muppet

Quote from: T Fearon on September 10, 2014, 08:41:47 PM
But Brady wasn't aware of child abuse,he was involved in the preliminaries in which young children made allegations,unproven against a priest with whom Brady was unaquainted.He reported these allegations to his superiors.Now this is a totally different scenario to being aware if child abuse,to witnessing an act of child abuse, or a colleague telling you he is involved in child abuse.World of difference between hearing as yet unsubstantiated allegations of child abuse and catching someone in the act.

Tony, he signed as investigator at the 2nd interview.

He has said he believed the boys at the interviews. Thus, he believed Cavan Boy and was aware he was being abused by Smyth. Boland was safe because the first point of contact by Boland, Fr. McShane, contacted Boland's parents. Brady did not contact Cavan Boy's parents.

You are simply making things up.
MWWSI 2017

T Fearon

I believe he or someone should have told the Police, I also am aware that he has acknowledged his failings in this regard and has apologised.What I don't believe is that an error of judgement in a bygone era makes him an ogre, miserable bastard or facilitator of child abuse.His failure was but one in a catalogue of failures at the time.

Zip Code

He didn't acknowledge in any Sunday Mass the horrendous crimes of his serving parish priest Father Gerald McQuillan, instead he buried his head in the sand and ignored it, just as he did when he was a young priest, seems he was always a cowardly bastard.

T Fearon

That case was dealt with and justice was done,it was well documented.Why should he have mentioned it on the altar? Do you consider him not mentioning it to be him condoning it? You really need psychiatric treatment.This is typical of the seething irrational  hatred for a man who didn't abuse anyone. >:(

theskull1

And his 'failure(s)' ensured his masters knew he had the right qualities to be a leader down the line.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

mylestheslasher

Tony you seem to be awful upset that Hardy called Brady a miserable bastard. I think Hardy was wrong when in fact what he should have said was that Brady was a child rapist protector, an indirect facilitator of child rape, a yes man, a coward, a bully, a man with no moral compass and a man with no empathy for victims (until it miraculously appeared when he was found out). In summary he is in my book a pathetic excuse of a human being. Oh and a miserable bastard too. I hope he has lots of time to reflect on what he has done because if he really believes he will be meeting his maker to be judged I bet he is shitting himself.

muppet

Quote from: T Fearon on September 10, 2014, 09:57:35 PM
I believe he or someone should have told the Police, I also am aware that he has acknowledged his failings in this regard and has apologised.What I don't believe is that an error of judgement in a bygone era makes him an ogre, miserable b**tard or facilitator of child abuse.His failure was but one in a catalogue of failures at the time.

He is certainly not to blame for the abuse, and should not be cast in anything resembling the same light as an abuser, but he got the boys to sign an oath of silence, and then remained silent himself. From 1997 until 2010, while he was Primate of All Ireland, the records were not released to Brendan Boland as requested by his lawyer. During that time he never revealed his role, notary or otherwise, in Smyth's abuse. Then he (at best) understated his role as a notary (something you Tony, are still shouting from the rooftops) even though the records show he signed as an investigator at one of the two interviews. And the other man asking questions at the Boland interview, Msgr Francis Donnelly, told Gárdaí in an interview that his role was 'one of recording secretary'.

Donnelly refused to make a statement to the police and claimed that he couldn't remember the names of the two priests at the interview. Just 4 days later after Donnelly was interviewed by Gárdaí, Brady was ordained Coadjutor Archbishop of Armagh.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/book-has-evidence-of-cardinal-s-role-in-brendan-smyth-inquiry-1.1875988

The reason we are to talking about a 'bygone era' is his own fault. If he released the documents in 1997 this story would have happened in the late 1990s. If he had actually come clean when Cahal Daly was stepping down, we would be long over it, but of course he may not have been promoted. But he didn't reveal it then. The truth came out in 2010 only when he was forced to reveal it.

MWWSI 2017

theskull1

QuoteTony Fearon ‏@TonyFearon  5h
@RuthDE You didn't debate with him,he exposed the fact that you were talking through your arse as usual! Lol

This resonated with me when I think of your contribution to this thread Tony
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

T Fearon

Muppet what is it about Brady acknowledging his mistakes and apologising (as recently as earlier this week once again) that you don't understand? What more do you require of him at this stage? Is there any one of us who hasn't a few skeletons in the cupboard?

Zip Code

Quote from: T Fearon on September 10, 2014, 10:47:59 PM
That case was dealt with and justice was done,it was well documented.Why should he have mentioned it on the altar? Do you consider him not mentioning it to be him condoning it? You really need psychiatric treatment.This is typical of the seething irrational  hatred for a man who didn't abuse anyone. >:(

Because the weeks prior to it this individual was doing christening, weddings, funerals, administering the sick  - do you not think that Brady should have addressed his flack about this, to apologise, to sympathise etc, no like the coward he was when he was a younger man, leaving children to be abused again and again he walked away and thought no more off it.

Zip Code

Quote from: T Fearon on September 11, 2014, 07:20:52 AM
Muppet what is it about Brady acknowledging his mistakes and apologising (as recently as earlier this week once again) that you don't understand? What more do you require of him at this stage? Is there any one of us who hasn't a few skeletons in the cupboard?

Helping to facilitate the rape and abuse of children by protecting his church rather than the vulnerable children within it, is a skeleton I'd say none of us on this board have.

T Fearon

Brady had no need to refer to this.Did the Managing Director of the Company that employed the Yorkshire Ripper as a driver apologise for his activities?  No, because it was nothing to do with him or the Company.

Zip Code

Did the managing director of that company put in robust procedures to protect  people from their drivers because of hundreds of known cases in the past, according to you Brady had done so within his church, and he failed just like he failed all those years ago to stop monsters abusing innocent children.  Your great man Brady is a sad cowardly excuse of a human being, much akin to yourself and your beloved Gerald McQuillan I feel.