Poppy Watch

Started by Orior, November 04, 2010, 12:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

Bring what out into the open? I don't follow.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: BennyCake on November 04, 2014, 03:57:26 PM
::) He means set some pre-conditions that have a direct impact on those making the decision to enter into a war.

BennyCake

Quote from: Tony Baloney on November 04, 2014, 07:00:55 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on November 04, 2014, 03:57:26 PM
::) He means set some pre-conditions that have a direct impact on those making the decision to enter into a war.

Yes that will happen. Maybe they could also divulge to potential enlistees the "real" reasons for going to war too.

Applesisapples

Quote from: deiseach on November 04, 2014, 10:25:33 AM
My dad asked me the other day whether my son would be found wearing a poppy. I couldn't give him an answer. I know it's important to my wife but . . . I think I'll be kicking that can down the road.
If he is brought up in England then why not? Different here in the north where it is misused by our PUL fellow countrymen.

Wildweasel74

to be honest the poppy never bothered me, i don't know why we had a thread on it for what 4 or so years running, whats it say about us. Though i did notice a woman at work today with a  poppy but about 4 times the size of a standard one, it was really noticeable but whether anyone will bite and ask why her poppy so large i don't know

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: seafoid on November 03, 2014, 05:31:16 PM
A lot of ex soldiers end up homeless and alcoholic. I used to help out in a homeless centre in London and we'd see them.  A long way from the front page of the Sun. England has this really martial culture and the media are a huge part of it. If you stake a step back and look at the system as a whole young men get promises of glory, a lot get injured and then they get shafted. 

There you go again. Just like you did on the "UK constitutional crisis"  thread

Addiction is not a political act Seafoid. Stop exploiting it to further your worldview.

Seriously, you are like some sort of moralistic predator  ::)

Windmill abu

We live in a world of freedom of information.

Even the ordinary recruit/grunt knows all about war and its risks and consequences.

If you decide that your career path is to go abroad & fight with the indigenous populations of other countries, you should not expect special treatment when you come back. Other people are disabled & mentally ill/traumatised through no fault of their own. Why should people who put themselves in the line of fire deserve special treatment?
Never underestimate the power of complaining

Milltown Row2

Working in Buxton at the minute and out of 26 on course plus staff there might be 7/8 people wearing them..... In fairness 3 of them are  ex forces. Thought there would be more. Though the girls and younger lads aren't wearing them.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 05, 2014, 07:18:03 AM
Working in Buxton at the minute and out of 26 on course plus staff there might be 7/8 people wearing them..... In fairness 3 of them are  ex forces. Thought there would be more. Though the girls and younger lads aren't wearing them.
If you get any time see some of the Peak District. Hope Valley area is nice. Buxton is a decent real ale town if that's your thing.

ludermor

Quote from: Windmill abu on November 05, 2014, 01:34:40 AM
We live in a world of freedom of information.

Even the ordinary recruit/grunt knows all about war and its risks and consequences.

If you decide that your career path is to go abroad & fight with the indigenous populations of other countries, you should not expect special treatment when you come back. Other people are disabled & mentally ill/traumatised through no fault of their own. Why should people who put themselves in the line of fire deserve special treatment?
Let me get this right, do you believe there is never a case to be had for intervention in other countries wars?

ballinaman

Well this woke me up this morning as it landed in the station.....

deiseach

Quote from: Applesisapples on November 04, 2014, 08:55:27 PM
Quote from: deiseach on November 04, 2014, 10:25:33 AM
My dad asked me the other day whether my son would be found wearing a poppy. I couldn't give him an answer. I know it's important to my wife but . . . I think I'll be kicking that can down the road.
If he is brought up in England then why not? Different here in the north where it is misused by our PUL fellow countrymen.

He is being brought up in Ireland.

AZOffaly

Quote from: ballinaman on November 05, 2014, 09:41:34 AM

I don't mind that at all. In Flanders Field where red poppies grow is what I would have thought the Poppy should be about. Remembering the dead of all sides in World War I.

Now it has morphed into some sort of celebration of the British Armed Forces, and I'm not crazy about that.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 05, 2014, 10:18:04 AM
Quote from: ballinaman on November 05, 2014, 09:41:34 AM

I don't mind that at all. In Flanders Field where red poppies grow is what I would have thought the Poppy should be about. Remembering the dead of all sides in World War I.

Now it has morphed into some sort of celebration of the British Armed Forces, and I'm not crazy about that.

I think that the Poppy appeal on the side of this Tube seems to be supported by one of the main supporters of the British War Machine in Bombadier is sickening.

AZOffaly

I actually didn't cop that. I thought it was the beer!