FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by Cúig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Lamh Dhearg Alba on November 13, 2014, 07:47:39 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on November 11, 2014, 10:15:47 PM
Don't recall Glaswegian born Ray Houghton getting any abuse when he played for Ireland against Scotland at Hampden in 1987. Abuse of Mc Geady and Mc Carthy will only add to the atmosphere on Friday and I expect with the Celtic contingent in the stands Ireland's support could well outnumber Scotland's.

Houghton was a different situation as he had tried previously to get into the Scotland squad and it was recognised that going with Ireland allowed him to play international football. Similarly nobody had an issue with Owen Coyle or Tommy Coyne for the same reasons. Guys like James Morrison in the Scotland squad are the same, nobody in England is bothered that he plays for Scotland because they know he was never going to get a cap with England and ultimately is no real loss to them. McGeady and McCarthy would have been key players for Scotland yet decided to play for Ireland. That's why people would give them a hard time and yet had no issue with Houghton, Coyle or Coyne.

Had Michael Owen or Wayne Rooney - who were eligible for Scotland under the grandparent rule - declared for Scotland then the English would have been extremely pissed off. If Seumas Coleman and Robbie Keane had declared for Scotland on these grounds then they would surely have got a rough reception playing against Ireland in Dublin? I don't understand all the fuss to be honest, it's natural enough and it's hardly going to bother McGeady.

I very much doubt that there will be more Ireland supporters in the ground than Scotland but we'll see tomorrow night. It should be a cracking occasion and I think talk of "tension in the air" is a bit ridiculous, more likely just be an excellent piss up.

Have we given up on Harry Kane? Given he's the son of a man from Connemara I thought there would be a good chance he'd play for Ireland.

Billys Boots

My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

JoG2

ludermor

snoopdog

mouview

For being a son-in-law of Brendan Grace alone, the man deserved a thump.

A dire 0-0 or 2-0 to Northern England tonight.

AZOffaly

Croí na hÉireann

Watch it, the lot of ye!!!

http://www.westmeathexaminer.ie/news/roundup/articles/2014/11/14/4033862-tyrrellspass-native-involved-in-bust-up-with-keano/

"He cannot walk up to one of the best Ireland fans in the last 25 years and treat them like that."  :D Sounds like a modest, well rounded fellow
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

AZOffaly

He sounds like a nut job. Although based on being from Tyrellspass, that's normal. What pub did he own there? Was there a Gillespies? Gonouds is there isn't it?

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 14, 2014, 02:25:56 PM
He sounds like a nut job. Although based on being from Tyrellspass, that's normal. What pub did he own there? Was there a Gillespies? Gonouds is there isn't it?

Gonouds there alright. He has pubs in Boston though. One of them was the pub Keane had to be hauled out where McCarthy tried to admonish him on the bus. To which Keane responded with "And you call what you have a first touch". Your man wrote a book about his pub that included this incident. The Star has it all today apparently.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

fearsiuil

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on November 14, 2014, 02:41:58 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on November 14, 2014, 02:25:56 PM

Gonouds there alright. He has pubs in Boston though. One of them was the pub Keane had to be hauled out where McCarthy tried to admonish him on the bus. To which Keane responded with "And you call what you have a first touch". Your man wrote a book about his pub that included this incident. The Star has it all today apparently.

Saw Mirror online earlier and mentions a "history" between this latcher on and Keane. Yer man not brightest if approaches Keane to sign his book!

Main Street

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on November 14, 2014, 02:21:06 PM
Watch it, the lot of ye!!!

http://www.westmeathexaminer.ie/news/roundup/articles/2014/11/14/4033862-tyrrellspass-native-involved-in-bust-up-with-keano/

"He cannot walk up to one of the best Ireland fans in the last 25 years and treat them like that."  :D Sounds like a modest, well rounded fellow
Westmeath? that's alright then,  natives from the other 31 counties can breathe a sigh of relief. Gillespie inspires the same feeling in me as that nutcase who attacked  a leading marathon runner at the olympics

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

omagh_gael

Robbie Keane not named to start. Long up front alone.

What's the best place to get a live stream for this? Presuming it won't be available to us northerners on RTE.