Phone / tech bans in the house

Started by JoG2, January 07, 2015, 03:49:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoG2

We started a new phone / tech policy in the house last night. All phones, gadgets or whatever are left in a basket in the kitchen at 10pm until the morning. Its mostly for our eldest young teenager's benefit, who is spending way too much time on hers and is finding it hard to concentrate on studies etc. Good for me also as I was watching too many shows and not getting enough sleep

any of you do anything similar? Any tips re phone etiquette and children?

cheers

Aristo 60

I don't let the wife have a phone. She spends lots of time in the garden shed but I've never caught her with a phone in there yet.

illdecide

Quote from: Aristo 60 on January 07, 2015, 03:55:38 PM
I don't let the wife have a phone. She spends lots of time in the garden shed but I've never caught her with a phone in there yet.

Lucky you haven't caught me in your shed yet... :)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Tony Baloney

Was chatting to a fella over Xmas about the same thing and if the kids refuse to play ball he takes the router to bed  ;D.

The missus has the PS4 controllers under lock and key already and it is only 2 weeks old. FAR too much time playing FIFA and then back chat when asked to get off it. Cold turkey treatment!

armaghniac

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 07, 2015, 04:30:46 PM
Was chatting to a fella over Xmas about the same thing and if the kids refuse to play ball he takes the router to bed  ;D.

The router can be controlled, but if the phones have a data plan on the SIMs then that is a waste of time.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

ONeill

No electronics from Sunday night til Friday 4pm.

They still have the Ireland's Own Christmas Annual to get through.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Orior

Quote from: JoG2 on January 07, 2015, 03:49:58 PM
We started a new phone / tech policy in the house last night. All phones, gadgets or whatever are left in a basket in the kitchen at 10pm until the morning. Its mostly for our eldest young teenager's benefit, who is spending way too much time on hers and is finding it hard to concentrate on studies etc. Good for me also as I was watching too many shows and not getting enough sleep

any of you do anything similar? Any tips re phone etiquette and children?

cheers

I dont have any friends, so its not an issue.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

whiskeysteve

Probably best to set the mob/tablet down after 10, definitely affects a lot of people getting a good nights sleep.

If you do end up using/answering the phone late at night, I've the tried an app called Twilight and reckon its worth an install:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.urbandroid.lux&hl=en_GB

Automatically filters out the 'blue' light of your phone, turns down brightness etc depending on the time of day and makes it a lot easier on the eyes, easy turned on and off from the notification bar as well.

Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

Tony Baloney

Quote from: armaghniac on January 07, 2015, 04:32:46 PM

The router can be controlled, but if the phones have a data plan on the SIMs then that is a waste of time.
Oh I know, it wouldn't work in our house as they tend to play games on iPad etc. that don't require wifi. Combination of changing passwords and putting them under lock and key does the trick.

theticklemister

A good kick up the hole wod suffice

Muck Savage

We something similar at the start of last year, banned all technology after 9pm except TV - we only have a TV in the family room. Worked great but slowly phones and iPads began to find their way into bedrooms and we'd end up reading or watching stuff on them half the night, which meant tired and grumpy the next day.

About 7 years ago we got rid of the TV also before we had kids. Wasn't long before the lack of evening activities meant we had two kids in quick succession. She brought back the TV and Football fairly fast then!

Aristo 60

The missus has the PS4 controllers under lock and key already and it is only 2 weeks old. FAR too much time playing FIFA and then back chat when asked to get off it. Cold turkey treatment!

Reminds me of an aunt who led the cousins to believe that the power was always going out in their house. Turns out she was just throwing the switch on the fuse box when she wanted the tv/sega mega drive turned off. I don't think the cousins copped on until they were nearly 20.

Minder

Quote from: Aristo 60 on January 08, 2015, 01:06:47 PM

Reminds me of an aunt who led the cousins to believe that the power was always going out in their house. Turns out she was just throwing the switch on the fuse box when she wanted the tv/sega mega drive turned off. I don't think the cousins copped on until they were nearly 20.

From Tyrone I take it ?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"