Cack handed

Started by Upandover, October 04, 2022, 01:48:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Upandover

My eldest is striking cackhanded, he is right handed but when striking his left hand goes to the bottom of the hurl with his right hand above.
Hes 8 years old and has been hurling a couple of years now, im trying my best to coach it out of him but he keeps reverting back, ive read some players do indeed play this way and ive heard ppl say if hes comfortable that way then leave it.
I dont want to be constantly on at him about it, should i leave as is or anyone any tips in changing?

johnnycool

Quote from: Upandover on October 04, 2022, 01:48:30 PM
My eldest is striking cackhanded, he is right handed but when striking his left hand goes to the bottom of the hurl with his right hand above.
Hes 8 years old and has been hurling a couple of years now, im trying my best to coach it out of him but he keeps reverting back, ive read some players do indeed play this way and ive heard ppl say if hes comfortable that way then leave it.
I dont want to be constantly on at him about it, should i leave as is or anyone any tips in changing?

Dominant hand on top which by what you are describing is what he is doing.

Can he strike off both sides on the ground firstly or is he inclined to walk round the ball to strike off his preferred side?

Upandover

He is striking as if hes holding a golf club if that makes sense, his hands are in the opposite positions, should be right hand with the left sliding down on top but hes the opposite.

He can strike of both sides when striking on the deck.

nrico2006

Always wondered what cack handed actually was, i.e. was it someone having his weaker hand towards the top of the handle or was it someone who swung on their supposed weaker side.  If its the former, then it can be an issue with striking off the weakside.  If its the latter, there is no issue.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Upandover

Quote from: johnnycool on October 04, 2022, 01:59:44 PM

Can he strike off both sides on the ground firstly or is he inclined to walk round the ball to strike off his preferred side?

Sorry if i confused you, hes right handed, when striking from his hand his right hand is closest to the bàs.

Upandover

Quote from: nrico2006 on October 04, 2022, 02:25:59 PM
Always wondered what cack handed actually was, i.e. was it someone having his weaker hand towards the top of the handle or was it someone who swung on their supposed weaker side.  If its the former, then it can be an issue with striking off the weakside.  If its the latter, there is no issue.

Its the former, and looking at things it defo will provide issues when striking off his left side, need to correct it but dont want to be constantly harping on or criticising him.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

This will hold him back a lot. Walter Walsh massive exception.seen a lad use tape to mark shaft. His right hand should always be nearest the top of handle ,throwing with his left . Left hand then returned to closet to bás. On his left side he will throw the ball under and strke back handed.

Try to downsize his stick maybe also, it might help

johnnycool

Quote from: Upandover on October 04, 2022, 02:27:46 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on October 04, 2022, 01:59:44 PM

Sorry if i confused you, hes right handed, when striking from his hand his right hand is closest to the bàs.

Then he is cack handed....

Give him as small a hurl as you can find or even a table tennis paddle and a soft ball like a tennis ball, and get him to hit with the one hand, throw with his left and hit one handed with his right off a wall and catch with his left.

can be hard to coach out of a kid when they get comfortable doing it the other way.

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on October 04, 2022, 03:17:42 PM

This will hold him back a lot. Walter Walsh massive exception.seen a lad use tape to mark shaft. His right hand should always be nearest the top of handle ,throwing with his left . Left hand then returned to closet to bás. On his left side he will throw the ball under and strke back handed.

Walter Walsh if anything proves the point of trying to address the grip at a young an age as possible, it's his Achilles heel at senior intercounty level as his stroke is so slow, awkward and ponderous where he's got everything else going for him, physique, power, catching and a decent turn of pace, but due to his strike he's easily blocked down and forced out wide.

Upandover

Need to correct it, everything else is ok, catches with his left, hurl always in his dominant right hand, just when striking his left hand is coming across and sitting at the top pf the hurl, hopefully can correct it.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Upandover on October 04, 2022, 03:36:09 PM

Need to correct it, everything else is ok, catches with his left, hurl always in his dominant right hand, just when striking his left hand is coming across and sitting at the top pf the hurl, hopefully can correct it.

Its the biggest challenge for coaches and about 30-40% wains start out that way-you are onto it so he will be grand

Saffrongael

Not sure Walter is the exception, maybe recently. Gary Kirby ? Joe Deane? Aidan Fogarty KK maybe as well off the top of my head?
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

nrico2006

I remember doing this when I started playing when I was younger, with most boys doing the same.  Because we could hit the ball well we didn't listen to the coach and thought we knew best, but I always remember when I made the change, it took a few weeks of solid practice to master it and I got far, far more distance in my strike.  Our coach sellotaped our hand to the top of the hurl.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

smort

Young fella is taking a strong interest in hurling and I wouldn't have a clue. Not sure how he is holding the hurl but will have a closer look after reading this thread

Have just found this video, I'm guessing it's saying the same as you guys here and is the proper way to do things?

https://youtu.be/YoP3ZqAPbSA

Saffrongael

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport-columnists-gaa/arid-40365266.html

PM O'Sullivan: Why ciotóg Cian Lynch's uncommon hurling grip gives him an edge
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Saffrongael

I honestly don't think it's as big a deal as some of you, as long as you develop the left side well. Perceived wisdom is your left side will be weaker but I'm not sure it has to be that way if you work at it.

DJ Carey reckoned it was down to personal preference