Don't give up hope yet. Dublin can be beaten.

Started by Banter Panther, April 30, 2014, 07:15:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 03, 2014, 01:26:10 PM
There'd be one school of thought that someone who has learned a lesson like this is actually the ideal lad to train youngsters.

To be honest I was being a bit tongue in cheek as well and the best of luck to Connolly.

However assaults like this are serious matters. I ve seen lads get gaol for something like this where sight was damaged e.g. I also used to coach a lad that died after banging his head during an unprovoked assault in Australia. Maybe there needs to be more of a deterrent than just sending out somebody to do a bit of coaching.
If I was convicted of an unprovoked assault I would probably lose my job. Using drink as an excuse wouldn t wash either. In fact I ve been told just being arrested and detained for any offence is technically enough for me to be sacked.

AZOffaly

Quote from: muppet on June 03, 2014, 01:48:37 PM
Serious question for the Connolly bashers:

a) acknowledge a fist offense, the guilty plea, the apology and the offer of compensation, give a severe warning on future conduct and issue a community service sentence;

or

b) ignore the above, issue a custodial sentence probably severely curtailing his employment prospects for many years, possibly ending his sporting career (this isn't soccer where the manager would meet him leaving jail);

The judge could have gone down either of the two roads above, in which case would people say he was more likely to re-offend?

Boom boom!!

muppet

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 03, 2014, 01:49:11 PM
Quote from: muppet on June 03, 2014, 01:48:37 PM
Serious question for the Connolly bashers:

a) acknowledge a fist offense, the guilty plea, the apology and the offer of compensation, give a severe warning on future conduct and issue a community service sentence;

or

b) ignore the above, issue a custodial sentence probably severely curtailing his employment prospects for many years, possibly ending his sporting career (this isn't soccer where the manager would meet him leaving jail);

The judge could have gone down either of the two roads above, in which case would people say he was more likely to re-offend?

Boom boom!!

Busted!
MWWSI 2017

AZOffaly

Quote from: moysider on June 03, 2014, 01:49:01 PM
There'd be one school of thought that someone who has learned a lesson like this is actually the ideal lad to train youngsters.

To be honest I was being a bit tongue in cheek as well and the best of luck to Connolly.

However assaults like this are serious matters. I ve seen lads get gaol for something like this where sight was damaged e.g. I also used to coach a lad that died after banging his head during an unprovoked assault in Australia. Maybe there needs to be more of a deterrent than just sending out somebody to do a bit of coaching.
If I was convicted of an unprovoked assault I would probably lose my job. Using drink as an excuse wouldn t wash either. In fact I ve been told just being arrested and detained for any offence is technically enough for me to be sacked.

That cannot be right. You could sue the arse off them in that case. Innocent until proven guilty and all that?

muppet

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 03, 2014, 01:50:18 PM

That cannot be right. You could sue the arse off them in that case. Innocent until proven guilty and all that?

If you sued, the best you could achieve would be constructive dismissal and if there was anything in your contract regarding 'bringing the company into disrepute' etc, that might be tricky.

Anything less than constructive dismissal and the best you could hope for is two years pay.
MWWSI 2017

AZOffaly

moysider

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 03, 2014, 01:55:03 PM
For just being (wrongly) arrested?

Arrested, detained for affray e.g. with no charges pressed.

easytiger95

Jesus Moysider - what do you do? Minister for Justice, by any chance?

Zulu

Captain America or Iron Man would be my guess, definitely one of the Avengers anyway.

trueblue1234

Quote from: easytiger95 on June 03, 2014, 02:07:46 PM

FFS the MoJ would and did get away with worse!!
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

seafoid

Quote from: Zulu on June 03, 2014, 02:37:33 PM
Captain America or Iron Man would be my guess, definitely one of the Avengers anyway.

A bit of Black superhero music is in order 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oguuDsZnitA

Can't help thinking the Dubs might be fallin' before September
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

moysider

Quote from: trueblue1234 on June 03, 2014, 03:02:34 PM
Quote from: easytiger95 on June 03, 2014, 02:07:46 PM

FFS the MoJ would and did get away with worse!!

I ve more accountability than that ;D

DJGaliv

Quote from: muppet on June 03, 2014, 01:54:12 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on June 03, 2014, 01:50:18 PM

If you sued, the best you could achieve would be constructive dismissal and if there was anything in your contract regarding 'bringing the company into disrepute' etc, that might be tricky.

Anything less than constructive dismissal and the best you could hope for is two years pay.

Ah lads, now I have to go back and read all about how the hell we got on to this from Dublin can be beaten. Do we have to lose our jobs over it or something?

The only dead certs this year are Mayo and a Connacht championship. Sure I heard Mayo's second 15 would win the Nestor Cup

muppet

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 03, 2014, 01:55:03 PM
For just being (wrongly) arrested?

I did say it depends on your contract.

If you could prove you were wrongfully arrested you would undoubtedly have no problem.

However if you were arrested you might find yourself subject to a disciplinary charge at work if you had anything in your contract along the lines of 'bringing the company into disrepute' etc. I know a company that will discipline you if you are remotely inebriated at a company function or near a client on company business, even though they have a free bar.
MWWSI 2017