ukraine regime change

Started by lawnseed, February 23, 2014, 12:15:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lawnseed

Ukraine? Whats going on there? The democratically elected president ousted by minority party protesters backed by the EU and america when he decided to maintain ties with russia instead of blindly joining the united states of germany and france? Of course the EU are the goodies in this equation even though some of the minority parties in ukraine are openly nazi in ethos anti black and anti semetic but as long as they are anti russian who cares? Lets not forget only a few years ago all of our new eastern european friends had nuclear weapons pointed at us and the ability to be climbing up the cliffs of dover with conventional forces inside 36 hours of crossing the iron curtain such was thier strenght. So is our eagerness here in the west to embrace all countries ex warsaw pact borne out of good neighbourness or fear of our recent past?
And I thought the russians were our buddies now and china were the baddies? I cant keep up
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

seafoid

Quote from: lawnseed on February 23, 2014, 12:15:00 PM
Ukraine? Whats going on there? The democratically elected president ousted by minority party protesters backed by the EU and america when he decided to maintain ties with russia instead of blindly joining the united states of germany and france? Of course the EU are the goodies in this equation even though some of the minority parties in ukraine are openly nazi in ethos anti black and anti semetic but as long as they are anti russian who cares? Lets not forget only a few years ago all of our new eastern european friends had nuclear weapons pointed at us and the ability to be climbing up the cliffs of dover with conventional forces inside 36 hours of crossing the iron curtain such was thier strenght. So is our eagerness here in the west to embrace all countries ex warsaw pact borne out of good neighbourness or fear of our recent past?
And I thought the russians were our buddies now and china were the baddies? I cant keep up
Something related to the euro economic crisis I think. Ukraine is quite fragile. Media never give a decent context. Two sides hate each other but why? Same in central african republic.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Maguire01

It's a 'dungout' - you should be delighted.

armaghniac

The President of Ukraine was democratically elected. He has now been impeached by the parliament, which is also a democratic procedure and the outcome will be a new election in the near future.

I cant keep up

That much is obvious.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

give her dixie

When you see the warmonger John McCain in the middle of the protesters, then its time to smell a rat

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/dec/15/john-mccain-ukraine-protests-support-just-cause
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

lawnseed

Quote from: give her dixie on February 23, 2014, 02:27:07 PM
When you see the warmonger John McCain in the middle of the protesters, then its time to smell a rat

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/dec/15/john-mccain-ukraine-protests-support-just-cause
Thats exactly what I thought. Whats mccain doing supporting nazis?

lawnseed

Quote from: Maguire01 on February 23, 2014, 01:04:18 PM
It's a 'dungout' - you should be delighted.
Nazis are also dung. Also the leader escaped. Ireland is surrounded by water there will be no escape from here.. ;)

seafoid

Quote from: armaghniac on February 23, 2014, 01:37:09 PM
The President of Ukraine was democratically elected. He has now been impeached by the parliament, which is also a democratic procedure and the outcome will be a new election in the near future.

I cant keep up

That much is obvious.
Democratically elected but he was supposed to be a strongman and he couldn't stop the place going to pot.
Ukraine is basically 2 countries- Russian speaking East with most of the industry and Ukrainian speaking West with farmland.
I think Ukraine is one of the major grain producing areas of the world- it keeps Egypt and the rest of the Arab world going.
Tymoshenko represents the West and Yanukovich the East. Tymo was sent to prison on trumped up charges in 2011.
The EU needs to put serious money into Ukraine to get it going again.

lawnseed

I cant keep up

That much is obvious.
Lucky old you with the bbc to keep you "informed"  ::)

lawnseed

Quote from: seafoid on February 23, 2014, 03:09:16 PM

I cant keep up

That much is obvious.
Democratically elected but he was supposed to be a strongman and he couldn't stop the place going to pot.
Ukraine is basically 2 countries- Russian speaking East with most of the industry and Ukrainian speaking West with farmland.
I think Ukraine is one of the major grain producing areas of the world- it keeps Egypt and the rest of the Arab world going.
Tymoshenko represents the West and Yanukovich the East. Tymo was sent to prison on trumped up charges in 2011.
Ukraine is two countries.. A bit like here or like lurgan

seafoid

Quote from: lawnseed on February 23, 2014, 03:13:59 PM
Quote from: seafoid on February 23, 2014, 03:09:16 PM

I cant keep up

That much is obvious.
Ukraine is two countries.. A bit like here or like lurgan
Ireland is more like one country really. Man Utd fans on both sides of the border

seafoid

The departed PM left the country bankrupt and ran a very corrupt Government. It's going to take a lot of work to get the country going again.

lawnseed

Quote from: seafoid on February 23, 2014, 06:35:20 PM
The departed PM left the country bankrupt and ran a very corrupt Government. It's going to take a lot of work to get the country going again.
Well theres the difference.. The fukrs who did that here are still walking about.. And paddy is still happy to bend over. In fact we give them over 2000 a week in pensions for their "good" work.

This is a disturbing turn of events where the germans/EC get to choose who runs various countries eg here, greece etc it seems democracy has to take a back seat when it conflicts with german interests.. In fact its clear they'd split ukraine if needs be... Now that IS the same as here!

easytiger95

I think the protesters who originally went to Maidan Square were genuinely fearful of a move backwards to Russian dominance when Yanukovich scuppered the EU agreement. Ukraine, like Poland is one of those terribly unfortunate countries, fated by geography to be a battleground for competing ideologies - during the Second World War it was where some of the bitterest atrocities between Nazism and Communism took place. Now it is caught in a battle between Western free market neo-cons and ex- Soviet controlled economy Russians.

Interesting thing is how the Americans thought they were going to cut the EU out of the equation as evidenced by the transcript of the conversation involving the senior US diplomats to the area ("F**k the EU and we'll put pur own government in"). Seems like the US and the Russians have been reading too much John Le Carre and are acting like it is the the 70's all over again. The new Ukrainian President has pivoted quite decisively back to the EU and i genuinely think, for all its faults, a partnership with the EU, sidelining both Russia and the US, is the best result for the Ukranian people - if it can be achieved peacefully.

armaghniac

Unfortunately, it is not only a question of economic ideologies. To take the Irish example, some really think they are Russian and some have lost any real sense of being different from Russians as we have west British people here. Also some of those who do not want to be Russian do not necessarily oppose government control of the economy, so like Sinn Féin many of those who want independence haven't the economic policies to make it work.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B