The Photograph Thread - Own Works Only! [900 pixels longest side]

Started by Syferus, January 28, 2013, 01:53:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 12, 2013, 03:14:50 PM
Quote from: Syferus on December 12, 2013, 12:28:11 AM
Quote from: theskull1 on December 11, 2013, 11:49:58 PM
You'd need a high end dslr with a good long glass for taking action shots. Technique and positioning important as well

Ball park £1500 at the very low end, all the up to £15000 for likes of what curly works with :o

I get away with a Cannon 600D (700D is the newest model in that range) that was £400ish with a £120ish 50-250mm Cannon lens at matches perfectly fine. Set it to sport mode and you'll get good shots if your timing is good.

No reason to go straight for the mad dear stuff if you're making you first steps into DSLR.

A bridge camera might be a better (and far cheaper than any DSLR) if you're a total beginner with cameras. Will be slower but they tend to have good range and get you experiment with a lot of direct aspects of photography that would require multiple lens in the DSLR world.

Canon EOS 400D / Digital Rebel Xti 10.1 MP Digital SLR Camera

Going for 150 on ebay, well what ya think?
It's a bog standard quality dslr and that's a good price.
What type of lens is with it? or is it just the body?
You only have a viewfinder image of the picture you about to take. The image of the  picture you are about to take does not show on the lcd screen, only after you take it. No movie recordings.
No manual zoom, which is no issue at all.
I had a 18 -135 IS lens    a wide field  excellent for wide angle -  sports and landscape.
If you just have a camera body, then you have to factor in a lens about £180  s/h
Having an IS in the lens name is compulsory, stands for Image Stabilisation. It's a hoor to keep a rock solid steady camera just held by hand, especially in lower light situations.

I used this camera for a few years and loved it but I had to learn to use it.

Syferus

Quote from: Main Street on December 12, 2013, 03:58:11 PM
You'd need a high end dslr with a good long glass for taking action shots. Technique and positioning important as well

Ball park £1500 at the very low end, all the up to £15000 for likes of what curly works with :o

I get away with a Cannon 600D (700D is the newest model in that range) that was £400ish with a £120ish 50-250mm Cannon lens at matches perfectly fine. Set it to sport mode and you'll get good shots if your timing is good.

No reason to go straight for the mad dear stuff if you're making you first steps into DSLR.

A bridge camera might be a better (and far cheaper than any DSLR) if you're a total beginner with cameras. Will be slower but they tend to have good range and get you experiment with a lot of direct aspects of photography that would require multiple lens in the DSLR world.

It's a bog standard quality dslr and that's a good price.
What type of lens is with it? or is it just the body?
You only have a viewfinder image of the picture you about to take. The image of the  picture you are about to take does not show on the lcd screen, only after you take it. No movie recordings.
No manual zoom, which is no issue at all.
I had a 18 -135 IS lens    a wide field  excellent for wide angle -  sports and landscape.
If you just have a camera body, then you have to factor in a lens about £180  s/h
Having an IS in the lens name is compulsory, stands for Image Stabilisation. It's a hoor to keep a rock solid steady camera just held by hand, especially in lower light situations.

I used this camera for a few years and loved it but I had to learn to use it.

The Canon 50-250mm lens I mentioned has IS (and excellent range and reviews) and is £137 delivered on Amazon. It was actually only 124.99 last night but as these are sellers whose orders are being fulfilled by Amazon the price can fluctuate. The price of lens fluctuate at the best of times anyways.

Main Street

That's a good price, no question.
Personally I don't want to be carrying around lenses and would want a wide angle zoom lens starting at ca 18mm.
The camera and one lens is more than bulky enough.There's already enough paraphernalia for me to consider, my classic iPod, phone  full sized headphones, headphone amp, wallet and dog (sometime on a leash).

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Syferus on December 12, 2013, 03:46:43 PM

A big question to ask if it's not been stated is how many actuations (basically, shots taken) the camera has. Most consumer DSLRs are rated for about 100k actuations.

If the 400D has relatively low wear and tear that's a decent price - older DSLRs can still produce excellent picture quality - does it come with any lens?

Not sure, seller said mint condition!!  :P
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Main Street

laoislad

Quote from: Bingo on December 19, 2013, 09:00:59 PM
http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5597879/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CPhotography%7C14419436/c_2/3%7Ccat_19780865%7CDigital+cameras%7C14419441.htm

Lads, anyone tell me if this camera is good value and a good camera?

Cheers

Yeah I think that's decent and a fair price.
You won't go wrong buying Canon or Nikon to be honest.

Will be looking for a new DSLR myself after xmas. I dropped my Sony A700 Dslr a few weeks ago up near the Bailey lighthouse and it will be cheaper buy a new one nearly than get it repaired.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Milltown Row2

Ok Santa has just left me a Nikon 1 J2 model Zoom lens kit

Looks fairly hi tec but I'll wait on judgement from those who know more about it, so what ya think?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Milltown Row2

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 25, 2013, 08:35:52 AM

Looks fairly hi tec but I'll wait on judgement from those who know more about it, so what ya think?

Cracking bit of kit. What about the Mrs, Bon Jovi LPs blasting around chateau Milltown this morning?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on December 25, 2013, 12:05:04 PM

Cracking bit of kit. What about the Mrs, Bon Jovi LPs blasting around chateau Milltown this morning?

Aye chuffed to bits, Black Sabbath and the rest!!

Syferus

A great camera. Buy the Nikon 50mm lens when you're feeling confident, it's cheap as all hell and even though compared to other cameras a kit lens is great the difference between it and a quality prime lens is night-and-day - and it will come into its own at night when it can snap away in low light with very few problems.

Will be a bastard trying to get Santa to honour the warranty, though.

Milltown Row2

Syferus

Deadly stuff Milltown, but you really shouldn't be taking pictures while you're reffing! :D