Ulster Senior football championship 2024

Started by Blowitupref, April 01, 2024, 09:26:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armagh18

Just watched few highlights from Ulster final last year. 2 things sort of stood out- we need Rian hitting that form again to do anything against Derry if we meet. We'd also need to do a better job on Rodgers, he'd the freedom of Clones that day. Ciaran Mackin would match up well to him imo 

SouthOfThe Bann

Does Rodgers get the credit he deserves?

He's been immense for Derry the past 3 years.

He has outperformed Glass (and Glass has been good) without getting the same credit always pops up with big scores too.

Glass has probably been better than him this year so far though. Rodgers was quiet enough until the league final but again had  a massive game when it mattered.

yellowcard

Quote from: David McKeown on April 15, 2024, 11:25:06 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on April 15, 2024, 10:04:42 PMArmagh have shown glimpses of the 2022 championship form this year but I'd still be worried that they will slip back into last years negative mindset when faced with better opposition. The same thing happened in the League final again when the stakes were heightened and the fear of losing took over. 

The Ulster final, should we get there, could well be the defining game of the season because they won't be winning an All Ireland title. For a lot of those players it's probably the last chance saloon to try and win meaningful silverware.

Is it meaningful silverware?

At the start of the year there are 4 trophies you can win. Provincial pres season cup, divisional League, provincial championship and AI title. If you think it's not meaningful silverware then the 31 counties who fail to win Sam Maguire will have been failures at the end of the season. 

Success shouldn't be judged purely on silverware anyway imo since its all relative to a counties resources and current standing. No doubt the provincial championships have been devalued now but its still meaningful silverware and a prize worth lifting certainly for a county who haven't had much recent success. I'd probably put a division one League title above a provincial title now since its a national title where you have beaten the best 8 teams in the country over a 2 month period.   

Captain Obvious

Quote from: yellowcard on Today at 12:13:34 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on April 15, 2024, 10:04:42 PMArmagh have shown glimpses of the 2022 championship form this year but I'd still be worried that they will slip back into last years negative mindset when faced with better opposition. The same thing happened in the League final again when the stakes were heightened and the fear of losing took over. 

The Ulster final, should we get there, could well be the defining game of the season because they won't be winning an All Ireland title. For a lot of those players it's probably the last chance saloon to try and win meaningful silverware.

At the start of the year there are 4 trophies you can win. Provincial pres season cup, divisional League, provincial championship and AI title. If you think it's not meaningful silverware then the 31 counties who fail to win Sam Maguire will have been failures at the end of the season. 

Success shouldn't be judged purely on silverware anyway imo since its all relative to a counties resources and current standing. No doubt the provincial championships have been devalued now but its still meaningful silverware and a prize worth lifting certainly for a county who haven't had much recent success. I'd probably put a division one League title above a provincial title now since its a national title where you have beaten the best 8 teams in the country over a 2 month period.   

Which is fair enough however in the terms of value winning Ulster will mean 1st seed and avoiding Kerry,Dublin in the group stage.

marty34

Quote from: Itchy on Today at 11:27:38 AM
Quote from: JoG2 on Today at 10:38:43 AM
Quote from: ranch on Today at 09:58:12 AM

It definitely is, anybody who says otherwise is deluding themselves.

Devalue everything except the one cup that's pretty much unattainable for most counties in a given year, it's a coping mechanism to avoid disappointment

This is it, 100%

Fair comment.

Tones

Quote from: Captain Obvious on Today at 12:18:56 PM

Which is fair enough however in the terms of value winning Ulster will mean 1st seed and avoiding Kerry,Dublin in the group stage.

Would mean more if the top two went straight to quarters, this preliminary quarter is quite frankly bollocks.

yellowcard

Quote from: Captain Obvious on Today at 12:18:56 PM

Which is true and does give it some extra value alright. However that only holds water if at the end of the season you win Sam and can look back and say that it was because of the easier pathway that the seeding provided to get us to the AI final. The main reason I would like to win Ulster is for the trophy itself and not a seeding into another competition.

Itchy

Quote from: Tones on Today at 11:28:47 AMIs it really? Most counties have goals at the start of the year, get promoted, avoid relegation, beat neighbours etc. do they really need a coping mechanism of devaluing competitions, I seriously doubt it.  There are about 26 counties under the new system never going win Sam, Derry don't need another Ulster but will probably win it, any other county would relish it.

I believe JoG2 was referring the fans attempting to devalue a competition as a defense mechanism for if they don't win it. Armagh will have failed this year (again) if they do not win Ulster. How anyone can think different is beyond me.

Mario

Quote from: SouthOfThe Bann on Today at 11:59:43 AMDoes Rodgers get the credit he deserves?

He's been immense for Derry the past 3 years.

He has outperformed Glass (and Glass has been good) without getting the same credit always pops up with big scores too.

Glass has probably been better than him this year so far though. Rodgers was quiet enough until the league final but again had  a massive game when it mattered.
He was nominated for player of the year last year. That's plenty of credit. I'd say if you asked most Derry fans after the all Ireland semi, they'd pick Rogers over Glass. Glass has been better this year but definite signs that Rogers is coming into form the past couple of games.

Tones

Quote from: Itchy on Today at 01:02:45 PM
Quote from: Tones on Today at 11:28:47 AMIs it really? Most counties have goals at the start of the year, get promoted, avoid relegation, beat neighbours etc. do they really need a coping mechanism of devaluing competitions, I seriously doubt it.  There are about 26 counties under the new system never going win Sam, Derry don't need another Ulster but will probably win it, any other county would relish it.

I believe JoG2 was referring the fans attempting to devalue a competition as a defense mechanism for if they don't win it. Armagh will have failed this year (again) if they do not win Ulster. How anyone can think different is beyond me.

Armagh will have failed agreed, Armagh will continue to fail until the County Board grows a set and get rid of McGeeney but they aren't devaluing it.  Who's these fans devaluing it two people on a discussion board, most counties would love to win Ulster, doubt Fermanagh, Antrim and Monaghan are sitting there thinking as sure it means nothing.

Wildweasel74

Armagh age profile not against then if they don't get sthing in the next 2/3yrs. Some of there best players are over 30

Armagh18

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on Today at 01:55:50 PMArmagh age profile not against then if they don't get sthing in the next 2/3yrs. Some of there best players are over 30
Yeah 4 massive players in Grugan, Forker, Murnin and Soupy all over 30 but I'd say theres a few years left in them yet. Grugan be the hardest replaced of those I think.