Irish News

Started by WT4E, July 21, 2014, 04:01:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keyboard Warrior

Quote from: Oldhacker on May 18, 2016, 10:48:44 AM
It is entirely understandable that considerable sympathy exists for Fr Rory but some posters seem to be unclear about the key issues in his case. His story has been pretty widely reported, and one tabloid yesterday set out how he sent naked images of himself as well what were described as `racy messages' to a young man who turned out to have been a former student at the named college where Fr Rory is the chaplain. Fr Rory is not only a priest but more to the point is a school governor as well as a chaplain and described himself as a lecturer on his messages to the Grindr website, which most people will be aware exists for a specific reason. No lecturer, governor or chaplain is likely to get away with that kind of behaviour, regardless of gender or orientation. Others can debate the contradictions involved in his role as a priest but the posters who suggest that he has somehow been a victim of media bullying are taking a very benign view of his actions.

Bear in mind he has not been accused of doing anything illegal (i.e. sending explicit images to a minor). I'm not sure there is anything to 'get away with' if the former student is a consenting adult (Apart from the obvious Priest/Celibacy rules obviously)

bennydorano

Quote from: longballin on May 18, 2016, 12:30:09 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on May 18, 2016, 11:22:45 AM
Paul Berry anyone? Dont remember anything other than a pisstaking session here about it, certainly wasn't much sympathy.

aye nasty piece of work Berry... maybe that's why
My post was in response to
think the point we are all making is that had he been from some other walk of life it is unlikely that this would have been in the IN let alone the front page.
Nothing to do with character, but reporting of news.

The Iceman

El Cuervo I absolutely agree - the bigger story is that it's in the Irish News - I think it escalated out of control.  I'm not surprised they published it - there is an ongoing history of the media and people in general to take a dig at the Church.  As pointed out you only have to read the comments to understand people's motivations for posting.  Some are in defense and in support of Fr Rory while grinding their axe with the Church..... The Irish News is no less guilty.  Making it front page was a huge mistake.  I think the reporter didn't agree with the backlash and had initially thought they had let Fr Rory off lightly by publishing hardly any of the facts - when everyone complained perhaps the reported in an effort to justify the first article and in an attempt to justify the journalism, revealed even more.....?

To quote "judge not lest you be judged" is great. But it's one line in a big book of teaching. It's one message, albeit a great one, in a long line of messages.  In quoting that line you can't overlook the other lines, the other messages.  To follow Christ we need to look at all of them and not pick and choose whichever ones make us most comfortable.  I like the story of the woman caught in adultery.  Jesus didn't publicly judge (He did acknowledge her sin) He did not condemn her, but He did say this "Go and sin no more"
That's the part that has to go hand in hand with "judge not lest you be judged".  We are all accountable to each other as the body of Christ.  Priests have an even greater accountability and responsibility as shepherds of the block.  None of this is lost to Fr Rory.  Our job and his is to love as Christ loved, to turn away from our own sin and call others away from theirs "go and sin no more"

If Fr Rory, upon reflection, re-commits himself to the Church he will be re-instated.  Maybe even in Armagh.  Like Fr Dallat in St Peters in Belfast.  Thats what I believe will happen. None of us will know for at least a year I would say.  Fr Rory may also decide to leave.  Perhaps the draw of the other life is too much for him...who knows.
Keep him in your prayers and his family.  Terrible time for them all.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Longshanks

Totally agree with icemans comments on this, balanced and fair.

Oldhacker

KW, the person in question is a former student at the college but Fr Rory is its present chaplain. As well as his role as a school governor, he is still listed as the assistant secretary to the Armagh GAA county board as well as a member of its management committee and a delegate to the Ulster Council. Social media reports say that he posted his mobile number with the images on Grindr, a website which involves a very specific set of activities. No one has suggested any illegal conduct, but, when you say you are not sure if there is anything to `get away with' in his case, are you proposing that he should simply resume all his existing responsibilities, educational, sporting and spiritual ?

Applesisapples

Quote from: The Iceman on May 18, 2016, 02:57:13 PM
El Cuervo I absolutely agree - the bigger story is that it's in the Irish News - I think it escalated out of control.  I'm not surprised they published it - there is an ongoing history of the media and people in general to take a dig at the Church.  As pointed out you only have to read the comments to understand people's motivations for posting.  Some are in defense and in support of Fr Rory while grinding their axe with the Church..... The Irish News is no less guilty.  Making it front page was a huge mistake.  I think the reporter didn't agree with the backlash and had initially thought they had let Fr Rory off lightly by publishing hardly any of the facts - when everyone complained perhaps the reported in an effort to justify the first article and in an attempt to justify the journalism, revealed even more.....?

To quote "judge not lest you be judged" is great. But it's one line in a big book of teaching. It's one message, albeit a great one, in a long line of messages.  In quoting that line you can't overlook the other lines, the other messages.  To follow Christ we need to look at all of them and not pick and choose whichever ones make us most comfortable.  I like the story of the woman caught in adultery.  Jesus didn't publicly judge (He did acknowledge her sin) He did not condemn her, but He did say this "Go and sin no more"
That's the part that has to go hand in hand with "judge not lest you be judged".  We are all accountable to each other as the body of Christ.  Priests have an even greater accountability and responsibility as shepherds of the block.  None of this is lost to Fr Rory.  Our job and his is to love as Christ loved, to turn away from our own sin and call others away from theirs "go and sin no more"

If Fr Rory, upon reflection, re-commits himself to the Church he will be re-instated.  Maybe even in Armagh.  Like Fr Dallat in St Peters in Belfast.  Thats what I believe will happen. None of us will know for at least a year I would say.  Fr Rory may also decide to leave.  Perhaps the draw of the other life is too much for him...who knows.
Keep him in your prayers and his family.  Terrible time for them all.
But here's the thing Fr Rory did not commit adultery, he broke a priestly vow, I'm certain Christ would not have condemned him for being Gay. I accept that as a Priest it may have not been the most sensible thing to have done. But it really takes me to the fair when so called Christians show absolutely no compassion or understanding when someone can't hack the loneliness of the celibate life and craves some company, no matter how he goes about getting it.

Applesisapples

Quote from: Oldhacker on May 18, 2016, 03:11:32 PM
KW, the person in question is a former student at the college but Fr Rory is its present chaplain. As well as his role as a school governor, he is still listed as the assistant secretary to the Armagh GAA county board as well as a member of its management committee and a delegate to the Ulster Council. Social media reports say that he posted his mobile number with the images on Grindr, a website which involves a very specific set of activities. No one has suggested any illegal conduct, but, when you say you are not sure if there is anything to `get away with' in his case, are you proposing that he should simply resume all his existing responsibilities, educational, sporting and spiritual ?
Spiritual aside what precludes him from his other roles?

T Fearon

If one cannot hack the loneliness of the priestly life one does the honourable thing and leaves the priesthood.One certainly does not attempt to conceal his priestly status on dodgy websites thus deceiving his priestly colleagues and parishioners.

Applesisapples

Quote from: T Fearon on May 18, 2016, 03:47:33 PM
If one cannot hack the loneliness of the priestly life one does the honourable thing and leaves the priesthood.One certainly does not attempt to conceal his priestly status on dodgy websites thus deceiving his priestly colleagues and parishioners.
The font of (un)Christian charity as always.

T Fearon

Charity and Christian Compassion has to be earned.It is not owed to people who deliberately try to deceive and lead double lives.

nrico2006

Surely this is news worthy. He may not have committed a crime but you are expected to maintain a certain standard of behaviour when involved in school governing boards, spitting organisations and the church. Sending naked pictures of yourself while in these positions is definitely not something that is s casual misdemeanour - if it were a teacher and it went public would you expect them to carry on as normal. It is misconduct.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Keyboard Warrior

Quote from: Applesisapples on May 18, 2016, 03:15:04 PM
Quote from: Oldhacker on May 18, 2016, 03:11:32 PM
Spiritual aside what precludes him from his other roles?
+1

Throw ball

Quote from: nrico2006 on May 18, 2016, 04:23:23 PM
Surely this is news worthy. He may not have committed a crime but you are expected to maintain a certain standard of behaviour when involved in school governing boards, spitting organisations and the church. Sending naked pictures of yourself while in these positions is definitely not something that is s casual misdemeanour - if it were a teacher and it went public would you expect them to carry on as normal. It is misconduct.

A married father goes on a dating website, posts pictures and meets up with a woman who is not his wife. He also happens to give out communion in church. Does this make headline news? Fr Rory was married to the church. He has no children. He has let his parish down. But a good time prior to the story breaking he went to the arch bishop to ask for time out to reflect. The Irish News is being an arbiter on right and wrong. I think they are wrong. I also feel very sorry for Fr Rory's family and friends.

imtommygunn

Bang on throwball except i think they are going for sensationalism to try and grab headlines. Not sure they are trying to be arbitrer but more going down the gutter press line. Aiming to target the morally outraged brigade of which there are many these days.

T Fearon

It is newsworthy when a prominent priest impregnates a woman or posts nude pictures of himself on a gay website,or when a dentist kills his wife and lover's spouse and rightly so.In all cases these three have betrayed the trust of their parishioners or patients.They deserve to be exposed.