Irish News

Started by WT4E, July 21, 2014, 04:01:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnneycool

Quote from: Keyboard Warrior on May 17, 2016, 11:29:08 AM
Quote from: Applesisapples on May 17, 2016, 08:55:10 AM
Quote from: T Fearon on May 14, 2016, 07:24:56 PM
https://carm.org/bible-homosexuality
So Jesus Christ has not condemned people for being gay, you are relying on the Old Testament which is not the basis of Christianity but rather used by zealots to give legitimacy to their bigotry.

Jesus doesn't refute the OT; He often referred to it for example.

Not agreeing with either side here, merely pointing out you either accept the bible in its entirety or you don't.

How does that work when it lots of instances the bible contradicts itself?

The Iceman

the misquoted lines on about women "speaking in church" is not about a woman remaining silent. If you actually read the letters and read them in context and understand the timing, the recipients and they "why" you would get the meaning.
He was talking about "speaking" in the context of a woman giving the homily. It refers many times to how women should "pray" in church/gatherings and of course this involves speaking.  The "speaking" that is not allowed is preaching or giving a homily  - which the Church holds to today. Only ordained priests or deacons can do that (men).

Lads, this isn't a does God exist thread.  It's about articles in the Irish News, most recently the ones on Fr. Rory.  Sex outside of marriage is not allowed by the Church he signed up to, the Church he swore oaths and made promises to. He has been living a double life and if he wants to act out on his attractions then he is in the wrong role.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

longballin

Quote from: The Iceman on May 17, 2016, 02:34:48 PM
the misquoted lines on about women "speaking in church" is not about a woman remaining silent. If you actually read the letters and read them in context and understand the timing, the recipients and they "why" you would get the meaning.
He was talking about "speaking" in the context of a woman giving the homily. It refers many times to how women should "pray" in church/gatherings and of course this involves speaking.  The "speaking" that is not allowed is preaching or giving a homily  - which the Church holds to today. Only ordained priests or deacons can do that (men).

Lads, this isn't a does God exist thread.  It's about articles in the Irish News, most recently the ones on Fr. Rory.  Sex outside of marriage is not allowed by the Church he signed up to, the Church he swore oaths and made promises to. He has been living a double life and if he wants to act out on his attractions then he is in the wrong role.

so all the weemen talking the pill and using contraceptives better stay in their seats next time for Communion. Isa lot more priests than him acting the maggot but at least hes honest bout it.

armaghniac

Quote from: longballin on May 17, 2016, 03:54:01 PM
Is a lot more priests than him acting the maggot but at least hes honest bout it.

Was he honest about it?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

longballin

Quote from: armaghniac on May 17, 2016, 04:02:12 PM
Quote from: longballin on May 17, 2016, 03:54:01 PM
Is a lot more priests than him acting the maggot but at least hes honest bout it.

Was he honest about it?

thought he admitted it... maybe not. Dont know why im even commenting about the RC church... walked from that outfit years ago

easytiger95

Whilst an understanding of the context of the quotes thrown about here is welcome Iceman, I'd step carefully before I'd let myself be perceived as a defender of the whitest of white sepulcheres on the board. Pointing out TF's hypocrisies is a spectator sport around here.

With regard to your second point, I think most people on the board would consider you an honest broker in these conversations, as you usually argue (eloquently) from your personal faith. I certainly understand and would have a certain sympathy with the logical position that the priest is a symbolic figure as well as a community figure, and devout parishioners deserve a man who embodies the precepts of the Catholic Church in his personal life as well as his public one. After all, when you boil it down, any church is a club, and you know the rules before you join up.

But in accepting that, I'd also point out that there is a logical gap between the Church's attitude towards this, and Jesus' own attitude towards sinners - "judge not lest ye be judged" - which many Catholics on here, with personal experience of the man, would espouse. That indicates to me (as there has probably always has been) a large disparity between the preachings of the Church and the practice of the flock. At the core of that is understanding, and compassion for the weakness in others and ourselves. If the Church displayed more of this, and reserved their righteous anger for those who deserved it ie abusive priests, then I think we would see more competition for seats on a Sunday.

T Fearon

Jesus made it very clear the consequences for those who do not repent.He spent time and was compassionate with sinners in the hope that they would turn away from sin.

laoislad

Quote from: T Fearon on May 17, 2016, 06:07:36 PM
Jesus made it very clear the consequences for those who do not repent.He spent time and was compassionate with sinners in the hope that they would turn away from sin.
How many Hail Marys did you have to say after riding that slapper in Summerhill out of wedlock?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Throw ball

Quote from: easytiger95 on May 17, 2016, 04:31:19 PM

Whilst an understanding of the context of the quotes thrown about here is welcome Iceman, I'd step carefully before I'd let myself be perceived as a defender of the whitest of white sepulcheres on the board. Pointing out TF's hypocrisies is a spectator sport around here.

With regard to your second point, I think most people on the board would consider you an honest broker in these conversations, as you usually argue (eloquently) from your personal faith. I certainly understand and would have a certain sympathy with the logical position that the priest is a symbolic figure as well as a community figure, and devout parishioners deserve a man who embodies the precepts of the Catholic Church in his personal life as well as his public one. After all, when you boil it down, any church is a club, and you know the rules before you join up.

But in accepting that, I'd also point out that there is a logical gap between the Church's attitude towards this, and Jesus' own attitude towards sinners - "judge not lest ye be judged" - which many Catholics on here, with personal experience of the man, would espouse. That indicates to me (as there has probably always has been) a large disparity between the preachings of the Church and the practice of the flock. At the core of that is understanding, and compassion for the weakness in others and ourselves. If the Church displayed more of this, and reserved their righteous anger for those who deserved it ie abusive priests, then I think we would see more competition for seats on a Sunday.

I think you have both put this well.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: T Fearon on May 17, 2016, 06:07:36 PM

But what if Jesus was just a charlatan? Have you ever considered that??
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Rufus T Firefly

Lads, this isn't a does God exist thread.  It's about articles in the Irish News, most recently the ones on Fr. Rory.

Indeed.

The Irish News ran two articles. The one on Friday appears to have elicited an angry response, particularly around Armagh, and that solely on the basis that the story referred to Fr Rory putting up photos of himself. Indeed a petition has been established calling for the boycotting of the Irish News!

In response to this anger, the Irish News ran another article on Saturday which highlighted the support Fr Rory was receiving. However the real reason to my mind was that this article clarified exactly what the nature of the photos were and provided further background to the story. With hindsight, I get a sense that the Irish News felt compelled to justify their position by clarifying exactly what the nature of the photos were along with the on line chat, in response to the anger that their initial story generated on Friday.

There still is a lot of support for Fr Rory out there, but I also sense an increasing feeling of hurt / betrayal. One need only look at the comments on the Irish News website, where some posters are queuing up with a series of snide comments to put the boot into the Church, to understand the damage that has been done and the hurt that is bound to be felt by a lot of very devoted people. 

I feel desperately sorry for Fr Rory who is bound to be in a very lonely place at this moment, and I feel very sorry for his family, as he used to talk about them regularly in his sermons. I would have to say that I also feel very sorry for the many parishioners who are very devoted to their religion and are feeling betrayed. An awful situation.

omaghjoe

Quote from: easytiger95 on May 17, 2016, 04:31:19 PM

Tiger, The clergy of the church are often not the best example setters to church doctrine themselves, and when they arent its highlighted with great aplomb in the media because every loves to castigate a hypocrite. However this not mean that the church is not forgiving or welcoming of sinners. In fact there its a sacrament devoted to it and an acknowledgement at the start of mass that we are all sinners including the clergy,most pious Catholics and everyone else.

Iceman, the "does God Exist?" thingy is thrown up to people of faith constantly on this website by people with anti clergy feeling. Its idiotic to bring it up I agree when its relevance is zlitch to the point. However at the same time I still cant over the faith displayed by these people who claim to lack it that there is no God, their faith in other fields, and their point blank refusal to accept this point.

el_cuervo_fc

Iceman

The reason I added the quotes from the bible was to highlight that not all of teachings make sense in modern society, despite Tony's assertions that you have to accept them to be part of the Catholic Church. It was not an attempt to question the existence of God.

I was disappointed that the Irish News ran this as a story on their front page and tried to dress it up as a story about support for Fr Rory. The man has taken a leave of absence to find himself and I don't think this has helped the situation in any way. It smacked of sensationalist journalism with a story that has no business being front page news.

He may have broken a vow of celibacy but he didn't break the law and this has only exacerbated what was a difficult situation for him. The Irish new article was essentially bully a young man who is in emotional turmoil at the minute, with the added bonus of a dig at the church.

T Fearon

What did you expect a newspaper,whose main purpose is a commercial one,to do,with a story that is highly newsworthy? Once again the blame lies with the priest.The right thing to do was for him to resign from the priesthood before advertising on a gay website.That way all the hurt to himself,his family and parishioners would have been avoided.Instead by not disclosing his occupation on his profile,he was trying to lead a double life.

Applesisapples

Quote from: T Fearon on May 18, 2016, 07:07:30 AM
What did you expect a newspaper,whose main purpose is a commercial one,to do,with a story that is highly newsworthy? Once again the blame lies with the priest.The right thing to do was for him to resign from the priesthood before advertising on a gay website.That way all the hurt to himself,his family and parishioners would have been avoided.Instead by not disclosing his occupation on his profile,he was trying to lead a double life.
Tony it is because of moronic christian right wingers like your good self that gay people feel the need to lead double lives. A little bit of tolerance and compassion would serve you well. Like all zealots you love pointing fingers..."the blame lies with the priest".