NFL Division 1 - 2020

Started by thejuice, January 07, 2020, 12:18:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Angelo on March 23, 2020, 10:58:41 AM
Quote from: larryin89 on March 22, 2020, 03:13:35 PM
Quote from: greatpoint on March 12, 2020, 12:27:49 PM
So it looks like Mayo will be relegated with the league being cancelled.

Be very unfair with all the possible permutations still on offer. You'd have to think at this stage  championship will be scrapped for 2020, perhaps a slight possibility of remaining two league games to be played in sept/October . All seems pretty irrelevant at this time anyway.  I'd hazard

Can't see any chance of the Championship being played.

Squads will be three or four months out of training by the time we see the earliest possible resumption of normal activity and that's effectively back in pre-season mode.

They'll play a championship, financially it causes all sorts of problems if they fail to have one. In addition to no revenue they'll have to return sponsorship money and ticket money. The final 2 league games can be used as warm up games.

If they have to play an All Ireland final in December they will do.

The club is a different matter though, going to be difficult to complete finals this year.

Rossfan

I'd expect there will be no Club  Provincial or AIs.
Will be hard enough to have the County Championships held.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Maroon Manc on March 23, 2020, 12:29:33 PM
Quote from: Angelo on March 23, 2020, 10:58:41 AM
Quote from: larryin89 on March 22, 2020, 03:13:35 PM
Quote from: greatpoint on March 12, 2020, 12:27:49 PM
So it looks like Mayo will be relegated with the league being cancelled.

Be very unfair with all the possible permutations still on offer. You'd have to think at this stage  championship will be scrapped for 2020, perhaps a slight possibility of remaining two league games to be played in sept/October . All seems pretty irrelevant at this time anyway.  I'd hazard

Can't see any chance of the Championship being played.

Squads will be three or four months out of training by the time we see the earliest possible resumption of normal activity and that's effectively back in pre-season mode.

They'll play a championship, financially it causes all sorts of problems if they fail to have one. In addition to no revenue they'll have to return sponsorship money and ticket money. The final 2 league games can be used as warm up games.

If they have to play an All Ireland final in December they will do.

The club is a different matter though, going to be difficult to complete finals this year.
That's a best case scenario, meaning that the pandemic is over sometime in the near future but there is no reason to suppose that this will happen.
It may very well be that we will have to wait until a vaccine is developed and tested before the world, or what's left of it, will come to grips with Covid-19.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

seafoid

Quote from: Rossfan on March 23, 2020, 01:05:39 PM
Say  the quarantine ends in July. I could see the All Ireland , in a modified form, going ahead.
And it would mean more to the people than any other all Ireland did.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

imtommygunn

Though everyone will be scared to go and watch it!!

Rossfan

Quote from: seafoid on March 23, 2020, 01:39:36 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on March 23, 2020, 01:05:39 PM
Say  the quarantine ends in July. I could see the All Ireland , in a modified form, going ahead.
And it would mean more to the people than any other all Ireland did.
It won't matter 26 or 28 Counties anyway unfirtunately :-\
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Captain Obvious

Ladies league is now null and void, probably only a matter of time before the same happens with the NFL.

https://amp.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/gaa/lgfa-declare-national-leagues-null-and-void-989802.html?

Main Street

Quote from: Captain Obvious on March 24, 2020, 02:21:45 PM
Ladies league is now null and void, probably only a matter of time before the same happens with the NFL.

https://amp.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/gaa/lgfa-declare-national-leagues-null-and-void-989802.html?
It looks that way, the precedent has been set. Meath and Mayo should  both escape the trapdoor by dint of a last minute reprieve from execution.

An Fhairche Abu

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/revealed-gaa-may-stage-remaining-league-games-as-championship-warm-ups-39074509.html
Maybe the reprieve for Meath isn't quite there yet.
It's a fairly optimistic viewpoint from the GAA here in terms of the time lines but I can see the logic in holding off on scrapping it as long as possible and using the two remaining league games as warm ups for the championship (if it is played at all this year). Bit much to ask teams to go into what will inevitably be a changed and straight knock-out championship format not having played a competitive match in months.

Angelo

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on March 25, 2020, 09:56:07 AM
https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/revealed-gaa-may-stage-remaining-league-games-as-championship-warm-ups-39074509.html
It's a fairly optimistic viewpoint from the GAA here in terms of the time lines but I can see the logic in holding off on scrapping it as long as possible and using the two remaining league games as warm ups for the championship (if it is played at all this year). Bit much to ask teams to go into what will inevitably be a changed and straight knock-out championship format not having played a competitive match in months.

It's only two weeks effectively. They should finish off the league before any Championship starts.

I still see Championship as very unlikely this year.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Captain Obvious

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on March 25, 2020, 09:56:07 AM

Dublin one of the biggest losers if league is scrapped for the year. Not hard to know that journalist Conor McKeon is a Dub  ;D

Blowitupref

Mayo 1-19 Donegal 2-11 in a challenge played in Sligo today.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

MayoBuck

Hopefully the Donegal bucks didn't pass on anything!

Manning18

Quote from: MayoBuck on October 03, 2020, 08:10:29 PM
Hopefully the Donegal bucks didn't pass on anything!

Couple of the Mayo lads have enough nasal issues as it is

Farrandeelin

Next thing we'll hear is Mayo played Dublin in a friendly in Longford.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.