A United Ireland. Opening up the discussion.

Started by winghalfback, May 27, 2015, 03:16:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Someone was telling me there that the waiting list for knee replacements is seven years. The Belfast telegraph has started doing a bit on the state of the nhs here - it is a massive reason why people should want a Ui not why they shouldn't.

Milltown Row2

I went to bed after the first break, there's only so much shite talk I can take, but the unionist commentators were lambasting the housing the cost of living the rising numbers of homeless people and the amount of tax people pay and that the nitty gritty of selling the UI would be very difficult
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Rossfan

Must be great to live in the 6 Cos....
Loads of houses, no homelessness, no cost of living increases, no taxes.....
I'm packing the van this evening....
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Rossfan on June 06, 2023, 09:12:11 AM

This will be the mis information that's given, it'll be a dirty campaign, that's for sure
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

clarshack

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 06, 2023, 08:12:27 AM
Someone was telling me there that the waiting list for knee replacements is seven years. The Belfast telegraph has started doing a bit on the state of the nhs here - it is a massive reason why people should want a Ui not why they shouldn't.

it's 2-3 months wait to get a surgery done private atm here.

johnnycool

Quote from: Rossfan on June 06, 2023, 09:12:11 AM

Big House Unionism has been living off the lie to working class protestants that as much as their lives aren't great, it's better than those papishes over there.

AustinPowers

Been hearing a lot lately  about the need to prepare for  a United ireland,  discuss how that will look  like, and  how  we can accommodate a million  unionists etc .

Let's face it , any planning/discussion  won't involve unionist politicians .  And  how  do you accommodate or  know what a million unionists  want or need ,  if  they're not at the table

I get that  if unionists  did start  talking ,  then they'd be admitting  that a United ireland is  on the cards , and that's  not what they're about.

So, if a United ireland  is looking a formality, just plough on  without them.  While the loose ends are being tied up they'll still be  shouting no surrender  as the  NI   ship goes under.

Milltown Row2

SF have pushed it out for at least 10 years, by the very name of being called a unionist they'll hardly even give it any thought and will only be looking at creating a better union, not working out well for them at the minute.

Though dragging 1 million people into something they aint interested in will be problematic, this wasn't discussed 100 years ago when the shoe was on the other foot but seems to be an issue now lol

The only way to accommodate the unionist is to still allow them the be unionist, having a period of self governance a certain degree of nothing changing while blending in a new Ireland.

Forcing it will only end in disaster

imtommygunn

No matter what though, assuming it happens, it will be forced on some people while you would get some accepting and some would just move I suspect.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 06, 2023, 10:45:34 AM
No matter what though, assuming it happens, it will be forced on some people while you would get some accepting and some would just move I suspect.

How many Nationalist moved 100 years ago? Are there figures for that?

Feckitt

Please let this be the last time I ever hear the term '1 Million Unionists'

In the election last month 286,058 people came out to vote for Unionist parties.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Feckitt on June 06, 2023, 11:05:53 AM
Please let this be the last time I ever hear the term '1 Million Unionists'

In the election last month 286,058 people came out to vote for Unionist parties.

How many nationalist came out to vote?

Feckitt

Unionists 286,058

Nationalists 311,444

Others 113,617

In addition there were 34,396 votes for Independent Candidates, there were definitely more votes for Independent Nationalists than Independent Unionists, but not overwhelmingly so.  There was a very small number of votes for Independent Others.

No matter what way you swing it, '1 Million Unionists' is a fantasy, this is not 1921

Rossfan

What percentage of the c.1.8m were from a Unionist/Protestant background in the last Census?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

LeoMc

43.5% of 1.9 million so just over 800,000. Not all are of voting age.

Numbers voting for who organises bin collections does not correlate with numbers that would vote in a referendum.