A United Ireland. Opening up the discussion.

Started by winghalfback, May 27, 2015, 03:16:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

red hander

Quote from: johnnycool on January 29, 2021, 03:58:51 PM
Quote from: marty34 on January 29, 2021, 03:52:35 PM
As I stated a few time, I don't know why the UUP aren't going to town on the DUP over this.

Because Submariner Steve is as think as shit and rather than try and get the middle ground back from Alliance he's trying to outdo the DUP in being so loyal and never never never on anything and he's never going to succeed there........

Submarine Steve is a joke. Only in the job 10 seconds and bent over and took it in the ass from the UDA over standing in North Belfast. He'll be gone soon enough for Doug 'I'm not sectarian' Beattie , Military Cross hero for  killing people in Iran and Afghanistan. Unionism is fucked. It's just a matter now of counting the number of indigenous Irish dead until they realise that, unfortunately.

bennydorano

Quote from: red hander on January 30, 2021, 01:23:41 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on January 29, 2021, 03:58:51 PM
Quote from: marty34 on January 29, 2021, 03:52:35 PM
As I stated a few time, I don't know why the UUP aren't going to town on the DUP over this.

Because Submariner Steve is as think as shit and rather than try and get the middle ground back from Alliance he's trying to outdo the DUP in being so loyal and never never never on anything and he's never going to succeed there........

Submarine Steve is a joke. Only in the job 10 seconds and bent over and took it in the ass from the UDA over standing in North Belfast. He'll be gone soon enough for Doug 'I'm not sectarian' Beattie , Military Cross hero for  killing people in Iran and Afghanistan. Unionism is fucked. It's just a matter now of counting the number of indigenous Irish dead until they realise that, unfortunately.
You know NI unionists are 'indigenous' as well right?

Rossfan

Quote from: armaghniac on January 30, 2021, 01:04:42 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on January 30, 2021, 12:10:59 AM
They'll make the connection that ...well you nationalists kicked up a fuss in NI for decades until compromises were made, unionist emblems removed, our culture eroded etc, and now we are under your rule, and we have to put up with shamrocks, harps, tri-colours and Irish language? What about our identity? Where's our union flag on Leinster House? Where's the Ulster Scots on the Irish passport? Why isn't Carson on the Euro coins?

Shamrocks were always distributed to the RUC. People will generally will speak English. The flag may be changed.
Unionists aren't the only group you know, there are hundreds of thousands of Poles here, should we put Kosciuszko on our coins?
There will be a new flag and anthem.
Passports will probably be tri lingual as will road signs in the 6 Co area (North East Autonomous Region?)
6 Cos natives will still have the GFA right to dual nationality (Irish and South British?)
Is Pearse or Connolly on euro coins?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

BennyCake

Quote from: Rossfan on January 30, 2021, 09:38:55 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on January 30, 2021, 01:04:42 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on January 30, 2021, 12:10:59 AM
They'll make the connection that ...well you nationalists kicked up a fuss in NI for decades until compromises were made, unionist emblems removed, our culture eroded etc, and now we are under your rule, and we have to put up with shamrocks, harps, tri-colours and Irish language? What about our identity? Where's our union flag on Leinster House? Where's the Ulster Scots on the Irish passport? Why isn't Carson on the Euro coins?

Shamrocks were always distributed to the RUC. People will generally will speak English. The flag may be changed.
Unionists aren't the only group you know, there are hundreds of thousands of Poles here, should we put Kosciuszko on our coins?
There will be a new flag and anthem.
Passports will probably be tri lingual as will road signs in the 6 Co area (North East Autonomous Region?)
6 Cos natives will still have the GFA right to dual nationality (Irish and South British?)
Is Pearse or Connolly on euro coins?

The GFA didn't even guarantee that. Not legitimately when it came down to it anyway. It only really became legit because of the recent De Souza case changed that.

No, they arent on the coins, but I'm just trying to think how unionists would think. Mind you, the train stations bearing their names might go. I mean it's all hypothetical but if you think all will remain as it is in a new UI, you'll be mistaken.

pbat

Of course in a New Ireland somethings will have to change like the national anthem, but we also need a strong southern government who's not prepared to give away the house for the likes of Foster and Atkin. Unionism will represent 10% of the population with that number dwindling year on year plus there will be a large number will pack up and head to the motherland after the border poll. So to say the likes of train stations in Dublin or Cork need to change there name to accommodate the Jamie Bryson's of this world is nonsense. 

Rossfan

As I've said many times before the most likely constitutional set up will be a Confederation of 2 Home Rule areas (present 6 and 26) with a new flag and anthem. Ironically the new inclusive flag will probably have no orange bit
Internal affairs (clearly defined) will be run by slimmed down versions of Dáil and Stormont with the Confederate Government and Parliament/Congress/Assembly in overall charge.
The likes of Connolly Station and Craigavon and QE2 Bridge or whatever will keep their names.

clonadmad

Theres more foreign born people living on the island of Ireland than Unionists

Thats the reality

I know a lot of the northern cohort on here suffer from stockholm syndrome and want to give a lot more than what their actual numbers suggest

Are we really going to have 800k out of a 6m population expecting near parity when it comes to the panaphenalia of the new state?

BennyCake

Quote from: clonadmad on January 30, 2021, 01:12:29 PM

Thats the reality

I know a lot of the northern cohort on here suffer from stockholm syndrome and want to give a lot more than what their actual numbers suggest

Are we really going to have 800k out of a 6m population expecting near paruty when it comes to the panaphenalia of the new state?

If there's a UI in the morning, unionists aren't just going to shrug and say "oh alright then". We will likely see another troubles period. Loyalists were armed and ready to fight 100+ years ago if there was a 32 county republic. I'd expect to see similar in the event of a successful border poll. Does anyone want to go back to that? So maybe a few concessions here and there might be something that will be needed to sweeten the deal. But I doubt even that will work.

But if you want your UI, expect trouble. And a lot of it, for maybe a long time. If you think loyalists won't kick up a stir, you're seriously naive.

clonadmad

Quote from: BennyCake on January 30, 2021, 02:41:13 PM

Thats the reality

Are we really going to have 800k out of a 6m population expecting near paruty when it comes to the panaphenalia of the new state?

If there's a UI in the morning, unionists aren't just going to shrug and say "oh alright then". We will likely see another troubles period. Loyalists were armed and ready to fight 100+ years ago if there was a 32 county republic. I'd expect to see similar in the event of a successful border poll. Does anyone want to go back to that? So maybe a few concessions here and there might be something that will be needed to sweeten the deal. But I doubt even that will work.

But if you want your UI, expect trouble. And a lot of it, for maybe a long time. If you think loyalists won't kick up a stir, you're seriously naive.

Do you really think a few sweetners is going to stop them causing the havoc that you think they will?.

if any UI is going to take place there will have to be co sponsorship of it by the british,the americans and the EU.

Im really interested to know who will be supplying the weaponry in that case.

6th sam

Quote from: clonadmad on January 30, 2021, 03:08:37 PM

Thats the reality

Do you really think a few sweetners is going to stop them causing the havoc that you think they will?.

if any UI is going to take place there will have to be co sponsorship of it by the british,the americans and the EU.

That's the crux of it. Hardline unionists have been backed up by British government promoting the union. If the UK promote an all island solution, which logically they should, the unionists will have to hope that any solution secured their sense of Britishness . The union is gone , timeframe , uk financial severance package and  constitutional agreement are the only things up for debate

BennyCake

Thats the reality

No it won't. But sweeteners will be proffered.

I don't think it'll matter who sponsors this UI. Unionists won't want to know.

BennyCake

Quote from: 6th sam on January 30, 2021, 03:40:00 PM

Thats the reality

That's the crux of it. Hardline unionists have been backed up by British government promoting the union. If the UK promote an all island solution, which logically they should, the unionists will have to hope that any solution secured their sense of Britishness . The union is gone , timeframe , uk financial severance package and  constitutional agreement are the only things up for debate

The current Brexit situation where NI is treated differently, with the Irish Sea border has pissed off unionists. They feel cut off, their sense of Britishness and attachment to the union feels threatened. You really think a guarantee of a British passport/identity in a new UI will make them happy? No chance.

Rossfan

The day Unionists are happy with anything that isn't the 6 Co Statelet 1922-72 .......

general_lee

Are loyalists really going to be capable of mounting anything close to the murderous campaign of the troubles? It's going to be a gradual process, it's going to be democratic and we are a far cry from the melting pot that was the late 60s/early 70s. I expect and support concessions to protect the British identity, but other than that they can all f**k off to Scotland for all I care

pbat

Quote from: BennyCake on January 30, 2021, 04:16:48 PM
Quote from: 6th sam on January 30, 2021, 03:40:00 PM

Thats the reality

The current Brexit situation where NI is treated differently, with the Irish Sea border has pissed off unionists. They feel cut off, their sense of Britishness and attachment to the union feels threatened. You really think a guarantee of a British passport/identity in a new UI will make them happy? No chance.

There may be some sporadic violence from Loyalists but I dont think it will be much more than the dissents republicans are currently at. Previous loyalists had the backing of RUC, MI5 and British army, without that support I think it will easily contained and squashed.