A United Ireland. Opening up the discussion.

Started by winghalfback, May 27, 2015, 03:16:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ty4Sam

Quote from: RedHand88 on March 06, 2018, 10:03:22 AM
Quote from: Applesisapples on March 06, 2018, 09:55:56 AM
To Unionists, SF or Nationalists having an overall majority in NI is probably worse than a UI.

That is true, but they are that insular they wont see it. To them a United Ireland means Gerry as President, daily recitals of a Soldiers Song, and mandatory mass attendances 7 days a week. Half of them have never been to Dublin, save maybe once for the airport when they swallowed the bitter pill to save themselves a few pound.

Both very fair points.

johnnycool

As an East Coast dweller where the protestants are still very much in the majority they're very insular and unaware that in large swathes of the six counties there is huge nationalist majorities and a thriving nationalist culture that they're totally unaware and oblivious of.

For instance I was talking to a lad from Ballywalter heavily involved in youth soccer and he couldn't understand why young fellas on his team would play hurling instead of soccer as he'd to cancel one of their games as we were taking an U12 team to an indoor blitz in Magherafelt.
I had to explain to him that these lads would by and large see their senior club hurlers play and there'd be a couple of hundred at it, a family day out almost and more at club championship games and other than what they see on TV for the premiership they don't see any other soccer games, not live anyway and even those that possibly did, there would be one man and his dog watching.
I was even telling him that we'd taken them down to Croke park to see an AI hurling semi-final and there was almost 60K at it. He hadn't a clue and I'd bet is totally representative of people from those types of areas.

Time they were educated.

RedHand88

Quote from: johnnycool on March 06, 2018, 10:22:15 AM
As an East Coast dweller where the protestants are still very much in the majority they're very insular and unaware that in large swathes of the six counties there is huge nationalist majorities and a thriving nationalist culture that they're totally unaware and oblivious of.

For instance I was talking to a lad from Ballywalter heavily involved in youth soccer and he couldn't understand why young fellas on his team would play hurling instead of soccer as he'd to cancel one of their games as we were taking an U12 team to an indoor blitz in Magherafelt.
I had to explain to him that these lads would by and large see their senior club hurlers play and there'd be a couple of hundred at it, a family day out almost and more at club championship games and other than what they see on TV for the premiership they don't see any other soccer games, not live anyway and even those that possibly did, there would be one man and his dog watching.
I was even telling him that we'd taken them down to Croke park to see an AI hurling semi-final and there was almost 60K at it. He hadn't a clue and I'd bet is totally representative of people from those types of areas.

Time they were educated.

This is typical of the attitute. They truly believe Glentoran/Linfield is a bigger occasion than Kilkenny/Tipperary in the hurling or Dublin/Kerry in the football. There should be some sort of outreach program by the GAA to bring them into the fold as part of a civic movement towards a United Ireland.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: RedHand88 on March 06, 2018, 10:35:55 AM

This is typical of the attitute. They truly believe Glentoran/Linfield is a bigger occasion than Kilkenny/Tipperary in the hurling or Dublin/Kerry in the football. There should be some sort of outreach program by the GAA to bring them into the fold as part of a civic movement towards a United Ireland.

Probably one of the wisest solutions proposed on this Board.  Yet achieving such a movement is permanently compromised by the SF protest movement.

Rossfan

Weren't a number of bigots very upset over Ballymoney High School asking lads to play hurling??
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

omagh_gael

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on March 06, 2018, 11:16:09 AM
Quote from: RedHand88 on March 06, 2018, 10:35:55 AM

Probably one of the wisest solutions proposed on this Board.  Yet achieving such a movement is permanently compromised by the SF protest movement.

I remember going down to Omagh Academicals rugby club with Omagh St Endas GAA and playing one half GAA and the second half rugby. It was around 20 years ago as I was around u14. It wasn't a big deal for me as I had joined the local integrated primary school when it opened in the early 90s and stayed in integrated education to 7th year. However, some of the other lads (on both sides) got a real eye opener and really enjoyed it.

The GAA, in the North, should develop a province wide initiative on the same principles. Coaches from each discipline spend time with the opposite sport teaching simple rules of the game. Have a half/half game with simplified rules (e.g. touch rugby, GAA minus the toe pick up etc). Sport, as a vehicle, should be used to break barriers. It would decrease immediate fears and biases and, potentially, in the long term be a small chip away at the fear of what a United Ireland may look like.

The fear of the unknown is crippling our society and simple mixing and engagement would serve all sides.

Hereiam

The only way you could promotes the GAA to the other side of the community in the north is through the media outlets, and lets face it this wont be allowed to happen any time soon.
There is no point relying on social media etc as people's feeds are personalised to there on interests.
They need to have full access to it in their front living rooms on the main TV Stations and radio Stations to start making them more aware of it.
I brief mention of it in news bulletins will just not cut it.
Even for our own younger generation in the north it should be given more air time.

BennyCake

The GAA need to look after their own first. The only people who aren't looked after in terms of playing for the enjoyment is the local Irish.

Kids teams from no age are all about winning, and once you get to a certain age, 14,16,18,21, senior, it's elitist. If you're not prepared to train 3,4,5 nights a week or have the stamina of mo farah you're tossed to the side. Youngsters never see play because they just aren't good enough. It's nothing about giving kids a game, inclusivity etc. it's all about winning.

The clubs abroad cater for Irish diaspora of all abilities plus the locals in that country. Regardless of ability, it's about enjoyment. It annoys me when the suits go abroad and show how great the gaa is, but thousands of people are tossed to the side in their own country because they're not treated right.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnnycool on March 05, 2018, 03:57:26 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on March 05, 2018, 03:53:02 PM
Irrelevant figures. Whether it's SF or DUP with the greater votes, they still won't agree on nothing.

There's a million unionists in the North or near it. Do you think they're just going to go away overnight?

If they're as democratic as they tell us they are then they'll accept the will of the voting public.

A bit like Brexit?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

OgraAnDun

http://ulster.gaa.ie/2017/03/banbridge-cuchulainns-capture-ulster-gaa-cuchulainn-cup-2017/

The GAA in Ulster are already trying to reach out in cross-community events and competitions. The biggest problem is probably the naming of GAA grounds and clubs, which is (understandably, to be fair) used as a stick to beat the GAA with and off putting for large numbers of the unionist community.

Franko

No matter about social contributions from the GAA or whatever, the 6 counties will never be properly normalised until education is integrated.

Minder

Quote from: Franko on March 06, 2018, 01:24:57 PM
No matter about social contributions from the GAA or whatever, the 6 counties will never be properly normalised until education is integrated.

Yep, 100% right and there is no appetite for it on either side
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Owen Brannigan

Catholic Church is an insurmountable roadblock to any changes in education system.

Polarisation of housing makes it difficult to change the system without building even more spare capacity into the system to allow integrated schools to grow by stripping pupils out of nearby Catholic schools.

If the Catholic Church managed to remove academic selection in more schools then more parents would choose to go to non-denominational grammar schools.

omagh_gael

Quote from: Minder on March 06, 2018, 01:26:01 PM

Yep, 100% right and there is no appetite for it on either side

Integrated education is the only way forward, I was the first person in Omagh to begin primary school education and go the whole way through to 7th year in Drumragh college when it opened in 1995. It was an excellent experience.

Mnder, don't fully agree with your sentiment. I don't know the story in other parts of the north but Drumragh is the only school in Omagh that has to turn down applications. In fact, they secured funding to increase capacity just last year. 

http://ulsterherald.com/2017/09/22/drumragh-college-gets-approval-increase-enrolment/

johnnycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 06, 2018, 01:14:26 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on March 05, 2018, 03:57:26 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on March 05, 2018, 03:53:02 PM
Irrelevant figures. Whether it's SF or DUP with the greater votes, they still won't agree on nothing.

There's a million unionists in the North or near it. Do you think they're just going to go away overnight?

If they're as democratic as they tell us they are then they'll accept the will of the voting public.

A bit like Brexit?

To an extent, yes.

One side views the will of the people the entire UK and the other side view the Brexit vote as being the will of the 6 counties.

It's all about boundaries and how well gerrymandered they are  ;)