GAA doing a deal with SkySports

Started by thejuice, March 27, 2014, 02:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Quote from: sheamy on February 12, 2015, 03:04:31 PM
In my experience games on tv or otherwise have absolutely no impact on the levels of participation.

We seem to be wedded to the idea (or is that peddled the idea) that audience exposure = increased participation when it's total nonsense imo.

Alot of people watched the superbowl in this country but there's no rush to send kids to play american football.

Funny you should say that. I've seen at least 3 sets of kids around my estate in Newport throwing around an American Football since shortly before Christmas. They've asked me to play quarterback for them a couple of times and throw passes to them. This is purely on the basis of watching it on TV.

I remember when I was growing up, when Wimbledon was on I'd be out in the tennis courts as Ivan Lendl or Becker for 2 weeks. The Masters or British Open saw me on the pitch and putt court.  If we had a Tennis Club or a Golf Club in easy access I'd certainly have joined up as a 'fad' for at least a while.

If we provide easy access to clubs in the UK then you might get some lads taking it up as a fad, and some of them will stick at it.

sheamy

I know AZ. I used to do the same when I was a kid. Pretended to play cricket with a hurl and tennis ball and american football and all sorts of stuff.

there's a big step to go to formally set up clubs and retain children's interest though and organise fixtures.

they're fads as you say.

The easy access to clubs has nothing (or very little) to do with sky sports though. It's about well run clubs and numbers of good volunteers. The people who really promote the GAA on the front line are the people in clubs, not sky sports and not croke park.

AZOffaly

I suppose what I'm saying is there was very little access to cricket, tennis and golf clubs for me as a kid. If there were those clubs, I'm sure I'd have toddled along.

So therefore, if we have GAA clubs in the UK that people are aware of, or can find easily, then they may well pick up a few of these curious people and by virtue of doing things well, they may turn the fad into a proper hobby or commitment.

BennyHarp

Quote from: sheamy on February 12, 2015, 03:23:27 PM
I know AZ. I used to do the same when I was a kid. Pretended to play cricket with a hurl and tennis ball and american football and all sorts of stuff.

there's a big step to go to formally set up clubs and retain children's interest though and organise fixtures.

they're fads as you say.

The easy access to clubs has nothing (or very little) to do with sky sports though. It's about well run clubs and numbers of good volunteers. The people who really promote the GAA on the front line are the people in clubs, not sky sports and not croke park.

I couldn't agree more, but we aren't expecting people to watch GAA on Sky and set up a formal club. The clubs are in place already with good volunteers and if a few extra kids come along then brilliant, but it takes a bit of time and a push from the clubs to turn a passing interest into a genuine hobby.
That was never a square ball!!

AZOffaly

Quote from: BennyHarp on February 12, 2015, 03:31:13 PM
Quote from: sheamy on February 12, 2015, 03:23:27 PM

they're fads as you say.

I couldn't agree more, but we aren't expecting people to watch GAA on Sky and set up a formal club. The clubs are in place already with good volunteers and if a few extra kids come along then brilliant, but it takes a bit of time and a push from the clubs to turn a passing interest into a genuine hobby.

'xactly.

sheamy

not disagreeing with anyone here. Just making the point that there's a very weak correlation between televised games and participation in GAA.

we're told 'promotion and exposure of the games' is paramount and above all else. What this actually translates to is 'maximising revenue opportunies to pay for all seater stadia' is above all else.

AZOffaly

I also agree with you there sheamy. I don't see any bad aspects to increasing our exposure, but as I've said on a few other threads, I believe the motivation is not for exposure or particpation's sake, it is to try and maximise the 'brand' and revenue streams.

At what point do we cease to raise money to support the game, and begin changing the games to raise money?

sheamy

I agree. We've already crossed that line or are dangerously close to it, AZ.

Also, what is the long term vision for this global GAA?

Do we envisage that we will build stadiums in other countries specifically for GAA?

G stands for Gaelic. Are we seeking to embed Gaelic culture and language in other areas of the world?

And you hit the nail on the head. Nevermind the games changing, at what point does the culture and 'brand GAA' itself change when it needs to be altered to further capture more revenue and more 'exposure'?

Coming back to the thread title, Sky will either walk away from the GAA or they'll take over completely like they have in english soccer. Their entire history shows evidence of that. This 'middle of the road' approach does not exist in their makeup.

Hardy

Quote from: sheamy on February 12, 2015, 03:40:34 PM
not disagreeing with anyone here. Just making the point that there's a very weak correlation between televised games and participation in GAA.

we're told 'promotion and exposure of the games' is paramount and above all else. What this actually translates to is 'maximising revenue opportunies to pay for all seater stadia' is above all else.

You're right sheamy. Studies have shown that if the goal is increased participation, the best payoff for investment is in organisation. Not facilities, but people who will facilitate participation and an organisation that supports them. In other words, the lads down at the club on a Saturday morning with the kids and the setup that supports that. I'd guess the reason you see this all over the country, in all  sports is because it's what works best.

As regards TV exposure, apart from short-term faddism, as mentioned by AZ, increased TV exposure does not lead to sustained increases in participation. It does, as you might expect lead to increased spectating on TV!

Zulu

Would disagree with very little in the last few posts. On the TV exposure issue I would simply say it won't do us any harm in Britain and it does make things a bit easier when you can tell parents a big game is on this Sunday on Sky 3 or whatever. I enjoy American football but wouldn't have played as an adult, however, if my kids lived near a youth American football club I'd bring them along if they were interested so I think we'll see a few parents looking for GAA clubs as a result of the games being on Sky. If we have well run clubs for them we should start to pick up more players. This could take many years though.

I've no interest in promoting the GAA abroad as a 'Gaelic' thing. For me it's up to the people who play it to make of it what they want. That's the way it is in Ireland anyway where many people would only have the GAA in common. We have kids of Polish and Pakistani backgrounds and kids whose parents are Rangers season ticket holders and I love that about the underage GAA here.

On the global development of the GAA, I think many Irish based GAA folk are unrealistic about the timescale and potential for the GAA internationally. I can't ever see the need for a GAA stadium anywhere outside Ireland in the next 100 years at least. You would need to have a business plan for development which would entail creating a critical mass of players and club volunteers in cities, i.e a plan to develop 20-30 clubs in Birmingham in the next 20 years or something. We will have to develop slowly (and painfully oft times) to grow the game. For example, there are plans to develop better links between the British counties at underage but that is more challenging than you'd think.

LCohen

The knock on impact of the EPL deal is likely to be that Sky, if they renew their GAA deal, will be trying to trim the cost of doing so.

Would it not be an idea that if the GAA offer a package of games to Sky that the package includes games that would not get televised live otherwise (club, minor, U21, inter provincial, league etc)

Old yeller

Why would anybody care whether the games are played by "natives"? I dont get it.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Old yeller on February 12, 2015, 07:31:05 PM
Why would anybody care whether the games are played by "natives"? I dont get it.

What do you mean by natives?
That was never a square ball!!

Old yeller

Quote from: BennyHarp on February 12, 2015, 07:33:13 PM
Quote from: Old yeller on February 12, 2015, 07:31:05 PM

What do you mean by natives?
Someone referred to non irish in other countries as natives earlier.

big balla

I use GAAGO in London, its a grand job. Not enough games though, and ten quid per game if you dont buy the season pass is a bit much. It is handy though because I can't get Sky where I live so if it wasnt for GAAGO I couldnt see the games. I dont think the Sky deal is is a good idea. If Sky are showing a game, it cant be shown on GAAGO, the GAA's own channel!