GAA doing a deal with SkySports

Started by thejuice, March 27, 2014, 02:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

OK. I see what you mean, I just disagree with you :D

I've been critical of the GAA in the past on other things. Calling us Patrons did my head in, as did the nefarious way they went about banning the pitch invasion in Croke Park and specifically the glass barriers on the hill and their reaction to criticism of it. (Which quietly seems to be ignored in every single provincial venue. See Limerick hurling fans, Nowlan Park last Saturday etc). I had an email exchange with Croke Park on the very subject, specifically about the stewards removing a harmless banner from the Kildare fans that poked fun at them being 'fenced in', and I think my line was something like 'I love our games, but I'm starting to dislike our organisation'. In fairness I did get a reasoned email in response.

The thing that annoyed me that time was the patronising way we were spoken to, and the fact that it was spun one way, when everyone knew the main reason was the exposure to insurance issues.

So I know where you are coming from. However, I do believe that in general, Congress reflects the will of the membership, and while I see your point about this deal not specifically being mentioned at congress, I also see the point of establishing committees and letting them do their jobs. And if there is an issue with what those committees are doing, and there is a consensus about that, the congress avenue is open to every member of the GAA if they wish to try and gather support for their point of view.

theskull1

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

orangeman

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 11, 2014, 10:54:53 AM
OK. I see what you mean, I just disagree with you :D

I've been critical of the GAA in the past on other things. Calling us Patrons did my head in, as did the nefarious way they went about banning the pitch invasion in Croke Park and specifically the glass barriers on the hill and their reaction to criticism of it. (Which quietly seems to be ignored in every single provincial venue. See Limerick hurling fans, Nowlan Park last Saturday etc). I had an email exchange with Croke Park on the very subject, specifically about the stewards removing a harmless banner from the Kildare fans that poked fun at them being 'fenced in', and I think my line was something like 'I love our games, but I'm starting to dislike our organisation'. In fairness I did get a reasoned email in response.

The thing that annoyed me that time was the patronising way we were spoken to, and the fact that it was spun one way, when everyone knew the main reason was the exposure to insurance issues.

So I know where you are coming from. However, I do believe that in general, Congress reflects the will of the membership, and while I see your point about this deal not specifically being mentioned at congress, I also see the point of establishing committees and letting them do their jobs. And if there is an issue with what those committees are doing, and there is a consensus about that, the congress avenue is open to every member of the GAA if they wish to try and gather support for their point of view.

I suppose different things irk different people in different ways and to differing degrees. The comment about patrons did piss me off a bit but not as much as the way this Sky and other things were foisted upon us, some of which were mandated and some not.

But essentially, it is a great organisation and we love being part of it - but we don't like to be called patrons and we don't like being taken for granted. I think we can all agree on that.

AZOffaly

It wasn't the comment about Patrons that annoyed me, it was what that conveyed about their view of the general population. I am not a patron, I am a member of the GAA. A group of 'me' IS the GAA.

Eamonnca1

Um, we've always been called patrons.

AZOffaly

No we haven't. Piss off back to your american hurling  ;D

Edit. That looks harsher than I meant. At that time, the president made it clear that we were paying customers and that was it. My take on it is that most of those people were a little bit more than that and deserved to be spoken to in a little less high handed manner.

I don't consider you a patron of the GAA, I consider you a part of the GAA. Understand where I'm coming from?

And the thing about it was I was generally in favour of at least changing the pitch invasion out of respect for our players.

Eamonnca1

The ticket collectors at the turnstiles don't stop to ask if you're a member or not. You might be a tourist or some random gulpin who happened to get a ticket, so they can't rightly refer to everyone in the stands as "members" when they might be no such thing.

When you pay money to go through the gate and attend a game, you're a patron. Always have been. I remember it clearly in the old Croke Park years ago when two lads climbed onto the roof of the Nally Stand and unfurled a banner saying "No Extradition." The announcer called over the tannoy numerous times "Would the two patrons on the roof of the Nally Stand please come down. you are endangering yourselves and other patrons."

Every time an announcement was made referring to the crowd it was "patron" this and "patron" that. The word "patron" appeared in the old programs too if I recall correctly. I have a good mind to dig them out next time I'm home.

People have gotten it into their heads that this word never appeared until Christy Cooney became president. They're completely incorrect. People attending GAA games have always been called patrons. Fact.

AZOffaly

Christy Cooney was the first one to ever use the term in a manner that made it us v them. Who the f**k does he think makes up the GAA? Anyway it's years ago at this stage so not worth getting worked up about any more and it's not really relevant to this discussion.

Eamonnca1

Yes, let's get back on topic.

Until 1995 there were only six games a year on TV. Six. The all-Ireland semi finals and finals. When that was expanded the critics complained about how it was going to lead to empty stadiums and the GAA had betrayed its core principles. Now people are talking as if Michael Cusack's dying wish was for every game to be broadcast live on RTE.

What is it with people in the GAA and their inability to remember what actually happened?

Rossfan

Calm down AZ. We've been patrons for 70 or 80 years at this stage. ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

AZOffaly

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on June 11, 2014, 09:08:12 PM
Yes, let's get back on topic.

Until 1995 there were only six games a year on TV. Six. The all-Ireland semi finals and finals. When that was expanded the critics complained about how it was going to lead to empty stadiums and the GAA had betrayed its core principles. Now people are talking as if Michael Cusack's dying wish was for every game to be broadcast live on RTE.

What is it with people in the GAA and their inability to remember what actually happened?

Agree with you on that one. Where's the outcry that rte didn't show cork Waterford etc. if every game was up for grabs, and rte were guaranteed first pick then it would be ideal in my view.

Quote from: Rossfan on June 11, 2014, 09:08:52 PM
Calm down AZ. We've been patrons for 70 or 80 years at this stage. ;D

Grrrrr

Eamonnca1

Why should RTE get first dibs? They do a reasonable job with hurling but their shock jock pundits in football are an embarrassment.

BennyHarp

Just watched the highlights show there - does what it says on the tin, without the need for shakalakaboombooming!!
That was never a square ball!!

AZOffaly

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on June 11, 2014, 09:35:34 PM
Why should RTE get first dibs? They do a reasonable job with hurling but their shock jock pundits in football are an embarrassment.
I would prefer the best games are free to air in Ireland.

Hardy

Quote from: BennyHarp on June 11, 2014, 10:14:50 PM
Just watched the highlights show there - does what it says on the tin, without the need for shakalakaboombooming!!

I don't have Sky, so I tried to watch this on a free (Ok, pirate) stream. On that, Sky3 is showing cricket. Is the GAA highlights show only transmitted in Ireland?