GAA doing a deal with SkySports

Started by thejuice, March 27, 2014, 02:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markl121

Quote from: johnnycool on October 25, 2022, 01:36:54 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on October 25, 2022, 12:35:35 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on October 25, 2022, 12:19:10 PM
Quote from: Captain Scarlet on October 24, 2022, 10:25:25 PM
I'd say Virgin will step back in and TG4 get more.
Plus RTÉ would have more live league games.

RTÉ are far from flush and they will need to go big for the Women's World Cup in 2023 too.

Any organisation that can't offer full coverage over the 32 counties should not be considered.

So if BBC NI wish to show Fermanagh v Derry next year (which let's be honest, isn't going to make a stir in the lower 26), just say no?

I could stand corrected, but is BBC NI not on Saerview?
Have definitely watched bbc in southern hotels and bnbs. Also watched liz truss resigning live on the web player the other day

Saffrongael

Fintan O'Toole

New GAA broadcast deal announced (2023-27).

RTÉ TV to show 31 championship games across the island of Ireland and the BBC retains its Ulster SFC rights.
BBC will also simulcast with RTÉ, All-Ireland semi-finals & finals, and broadcast at least one final on wider BBC TV network.

New sharing arrangement between RTÉ and TG4 will see an increase in Saturday night free to air league games. TG4 will continue Sunday afternoon live league coverage. 10 league games for BBC per season involving Ulster teams.

Exclusive championship games to be made available on GAAGO platform in Ireland and overseas from 2023 season onwards.

RTE to televise Joe McDonagh Cup final, Tailteann Cup semi-finals and final.

Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

5times5times

Did RTE not show 31 last year too? Sad step backwards losing the 14 Sky and not being replaced.

Hoof Hearted

I'm sure there's a few on here like me who remembers you only saw 3 live football games every year. Same in hurling. Was a bonus if we got a replay
31 is OK I think
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

sam03/05

That is a log of big games in football and hurling that won't be live on TV
What a terrible deal.

RedHand88

So qualifier games will essentially be non-televised now. Great.

Saffrongael

What's the GaaGo quality like ? Used it a couple of times a couple of years ago and it wasn't great
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Armagh18

Quote from: RedHand88 on October 25, 2022, 02:50:34 PM
Yous boys will hardly be in them anyway ;).

sam03/05

There won't be any qualifiers

Quote from: Saffrongael on October 25, 2022, 02:55:54 PM
What's the GaaGo quality like ? Used it a couple of times a couple of years ago and it wasn't great

Cavan19

Looks like GAAGO is going to take up the slack.

RedHand88

Quote from: Armagh18 on October 25, 2022, 02:58:56 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on October 25, 2022, 02:50:34 PM
Yous boys will hardly be in them anyway ;).

Leave the cute hoorishness to us!

full moon

Quote from: johnnycool on October 25, 2022, 12:19:10 PM
Quote from: Captain Scarlet on October 24, 2022, 10:25:25 PM
I'd say Virgin will step back in and TG4 get more.
Plus RTÉ would have more live league games.

RTÉ are far from flush and they will need to go big for the Women's World Cup in 2023 too.

Any organisation that can't offer full coverage over the 32 counties should not be considered.

That works both ways though. I have no idea how BBC NI are allowed broadcast Ulster county games on the BBC player when it is not available in the Republic.

This new deal seems to be a continuation of that, it's unacceptable as many previous games were on Eir Sport available island wide before that. BBC player is notoriously difficult to stream in Republic as they have geoblocked it.

full moon

Quote from: 5times5times on October 25, 2022, 02:26:13 PM
Did RTE not show 31 last year too? Sad step backwards losing the 14 Sky and not being replaced.

It does seem like a huge step backwards. We've lost Eir Sports extra league games from TV and now Sky Sports Championship games in a short space of time.

Seems like there will be far less matches televised than even 2 years ago yet there is more matches than ever. Throw games on GAA Go as PPV and BBC player which are both inaccessible to large swathes of population seems a poor move.

full moon

I imagine Newstalk will be disappointed to not get radio rights. They do a huge amount to promote GAA on Off the Ball in fairness. Is RTE Radio 1 near as good?

You'd wonder about the whole rights process, this all took 1 year to negotiate and in the end it's basically as you were, out with Sky Sports and Eir Sports but GAA Go and RTE more.

According to the news RTE actually own a stake in GAA GO also?