Ulster Club SFC 2016

Started by WT4E, September 27, 2016, 10:39:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DownFanatic

Quote from: Walter Cronc on November 16, 2016, 11:12:19 AM
Quote from: DownFanatic on November 16, 2016, 10:51:52 AM
It will be interesting to see how Slaughtneil deal with Niall Kane's kick outs as he more or less goes short every time. Rarely a long ball goes out to midfielders McGreevy or McClean.
From what I've seen so far no team has really been able to cope with Kilcoo breaking from deep. Daryl and Aaron Branagan are the main protagonists here. Slaughtneil's forwards will have to do a serious amount of chasing back.
Chrissy McKaigue be tasked with Laverty and Rogers on Johnston?

The Slaughtneil forwards are shy of workrate. Karl McKaigue on Laverty i'd say. Chrissy may pick up Johnson. Is O'Hanlon not the real star in this Kilcoo side??

Not for me. Daryl Branagan and Laverty are their two most important players for me IMO.

Mikhailov

Quote from: DownFanatic on November 16, 2016, 11:27:39 AM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on November 16, 2016, 11:12:19 AM
Quote from: DownFanatic on November 16, 2016, 10:51:52 AM
It will be interesting to see how Slaughtneil deal with Niall Kane's kick outs as he more or less goes short every time. Rarely a long ball goes out to midfielders McGreevy or McClean.
From what I've seen so far no team has really been able to cope with Kilcoo breaking from deep. Daryl and Aaron Branagan are the main protagonists here. Slaughtneil's forwards will have to do a serious amount of chasing back.
Chrissy McKaigue be tasked with Laverty and Rogers on Johnston?

The Slaughtneil forwards are shy of workrate. Karl McKaigue on Laverty i'd say. Chrissy may pick up Johnson. Is O'Hanlon not the real star in this Kilcoo side??

Not for me. Daryl Branagan and Laverty are their two most important players for me IMO.

Don't underestimate Paul Devlin influence - he is a superb link man and passing is second to none to the inside men particularly Laverty. A great game awaits.

Cannot understand why they couldn't have fitted in these 3 games over the Sat night and Sun afternoon. Now nobody can get to both venues and have to make a decision on which venue to attend. unfortunate to say the least.

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: Walter Cronc on November 15, 2016, 06:22:56 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on November 15, 2016, 05:32:29 PM
What's the AI semi fixtures for senior?

I think the Ulster champions are in London pre Christmas for the AI 1/4 final. After that I'm not sure. Kilcoo won't beat Slaughtneil minus Johnson.

Yeah weekend of 10th/11th December. Who are the British reps?
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

JoG2

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on November 16, 2016, 01:34:02 PM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on November 15, 2016, 06:22:56 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on November 15, 2016, 05:32:29 PM
What's the AI semi fixtures for senior?

I think the Ulster champions are in London pre Christmas for the AI 1/4 final. After that I'm not sure. Kilcoo won't beat Slaughtneil minus Johnson.

Yeah weekend of 10th/11th December. Who are the British reps?

St Kiernan's

general_lee

I've a feeling Kilcoo will edge it even without Jerome Johnston. Slaughtneil have a tough defence but Laverty is practically unmarkable and will dive/buy frees at every opportunity. Kilcoos weakness is midfield and expect Slaughtneil to clean up here. Kilcoo weren't really tested against Maghery who were unbelievably naive in the space they afforded Laverty and not having anyone capable of stopping Ryan Johnston who was pivotal throughout. Doubt they'll get as much space v Slaughtneil, pressure is on them to get the clean sweep, think the magpies will ruin the party

JoG2

Quote from: general_lee on November 16, 2016, 02:15:35 PM
I've a feeling Kilcoo will edge it even without Jerome Johnston. Slaughtneil have a tough defence but Laverty is practically unmarkable and will dive/buy frees at every opportunity. Kilcoos weakness is midfield and expect Slaughtneil to clean up here. Kilcoo weren't really tested against Maghery who were unbelievably naive in the space they afforded Laverty and not having anyone capable of stopping Ryan Johnston who was pivotal throughout. Doubt they'll get as much space v Slaughtneil, pressure is on them to get the clean sweep, think the magpies will ruin the party

would drive a man around the bend, ref announced yet?

Mikhailov

I think it will be Sean Hurson from Tyrone or Joe McQuillan to ref the final but maybe not.

Couple of high profile ref ruled out as they from the counties involved.

yellowcard

Quote from: general_lee on November 16, 2016, 02:15:35 PM

Kilcoo are under as much pressure themselves, possibly more, having never won an Ulster title despite undisputed dominance in Down. I agree with your analysis though, if they tie up Laverty (ie avoid conceding score able free kicks since this is his speciality) and nullify Johnston then Slaughtneill have a good chance. However I wouldn't be surprised to see a low scoring 12 points each scoreline or something along those lines. Both sides are counter attacking teams and when 2 defensive set ups collide it could lead to a slug fest. That won't make it any less interesting, I think the choice of ref will have a big bearing on the result because it could be decided by the respective free takers on both sides.

Milltown Row2

If Kilcoo's kick out strategy is important then S'Neil need to make the keeper kick long into the area they are strong, midfield! For Kilcoo they will have to win dirty ball (which S'Neil are good at too) and get it into that space early!! Might head down for it
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

DownFanatic

Mike Tyson

Quote from: DownFanatic on November 23, 2016, 01:09:55 PM
Slaughtneil 6/5
Kilcoo 11/8

Where did you get those DF? PP have: Slaughtneil 8/11, Kilcoo evens.

DownFanatic

Quote from: Mike Tyson on November 23, 2016, 03:08:04 PM
Slaughtneil 6/5
Kilcoo 11/8

Ladbrokes yesterday.

SHEEDY

Quote from: DownFanatic on November 23, 2016, 04:42:07 PM
Quote from: Mike Tyson on November 23, 2016, 03:08:04 PM
Slaughtneil 6/5
Kilcoo 11/8

Ladbrokes yesterday.
from ladbrokes; Match Betting  Slaughtneil 4/5   Draw 13/2   Kilcoo 11/8
nil satis nisi optimum

PAULD123

Some comments about marking Laverty and the way Laverty buys frees. Laverty certainly does dramatise fouls to make them look more apparent to the referee, and in this way gets more frees than most players. However having watched him a lot I have to say that on almost all occasions they are actual fouls, though slight fouls. Yes he fluffs them up but he is being fouled (e.g. shirt-pull).

Now the only way to prevent this, is for the defender not to hold his shirt or nudge him. That sounds great but what happens if a defender does try a clean approach? Laverty is lightening quick both in the turn and the take-off. The only reason defenders can stay with him is exactly because they are holding his shirt. So hold his shirt and he will go down, getting a free and probably a point. Don't hold his shirt and there will be no free but he will turn the defender inside out and be heading towards the sticks. It's not that Laverty can't score from play, it is simply that he generally doesn't have to, thanks to obliging defenders small fouls.

You would need to double mark Laverty if you want to mark him totally clean AND prevent him from creating scoring opportunities. But good luck with that because then you have to find another way to deal with Johnston, Devlin and young Brannigan breaking through.

Having said that I am not suggesting I think Kilcoo will win. Slaughtneil have been there and done it two years ago. They are battled hardened and the whole club is on a high at the moment. I would make them slight favorites.

Dubh driocht

It's been said by everyone that the two clubs are so similar and that's been my experience; ten years ago my bro-in-law was working in and around Slaughtneil and told me they were keeping the candle burning for Irish culture in a way he hadn't seen before; I told him it would have nothing on Kilcoo. I expect Sunday to come right down to the wire. While the magpies have really developed this siege mentality with everyone- latest opponent are the Down County Board ( unfairly and journalists like Declan Bogue should dig a bit deeper before judging)- they are a force of nature. The McKaigues, Rogers and Bradley have quality but whoever Kilcoo bring in seems to fit like a glove in their system. It will be a cold damp Athletic Grounds and this was the venue where Laverty played his best game for Down when he grabbed the Ulster S/F against Monaghan by the scruff of the neck in 2012. With 17 or 18 other men who will also do whatever it takes I take Kilcoo to win.