Ulster Club SFC 2016

Started by WT4E, September 27, 2016, 10:39:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

supersub

Kilcoo should take Slaughtneil in a couple of weeks. Jerome Johnston back fit after Christmas and you never know where they'll end up.

BennyCake

What's the AI semi fixtures for senior?

DownFanatic

I fancy Kilcoo to win this too. Will be an absolute humdinger.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: BennyCake on November 15, 2016, 05:32:29 PM
What's the AI semi fixtures for senior?

I think the Ulster champions are in London pre Christmas for the AI 1/4 final. After that I'm not sure. Kilcoo won't beat Slaughtneil minus Johnson.

Milltown Row2

Tough tackling teams and well managed ... think S'neil will win midfield but Kilcoo have better forwards!! Hard to call that's why I said a draw!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

yellowcard

It will be a war of attrition that would take a brave man to call. Recent Ulster club finals have produced some classic games and I expect this to be another one.

snoopdog

Quote from: yellowcard on November 15, 2016, 08:14:19 PM
It will be a war of attrition that would take a brave man to call. Recent Ulster club finals have produced some classic games and I expect this to be another one.
Has the venue been announced?  I assume the athletic grounds?

JoG2

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 15, 2016, 08:13:44 PM
Tough tackling teams and well managed ... think S'neil will win midfield but Kilcoo have better forwards!! Hard to call that's why I said a draw!

I'd tend to agree with all that,  but you look at the Neillers back  division..  Twin,  Rogers, the McKaguies,  young Feeny and McNeil screened by Patsy and Cassidy.  That's a serious club defensive unit

Should be a great battle.  You wouldn't rule out a draw

Maurice Moss

The 2016 AIB GAA #Ulsterclub
Football Championship Finals will take place on Sunday November 27th:

UCFC Senior Final -
Slaughtneil GAC v Kilcoo GAC at Athletic Grounds 2.30pm

UCFC Intermediate Final -
Pomeroy Plunketts GAC v Donaghmoyne Gaa at Páirc Esler 2.30pm

UCFC Junior Final -
Rock v Blackhill Emeralds GAA at Páirc Esler 12.30pm

yellowcard

Quote from: snoopdog on November 15, 2016, 09:22:44 PM

Athletic Grounds at 2.30pm. Pity they couldn't have played it at 6pm under lights.

armaghniac

Quote from: yellowcard on November 15, 2016, 10:18:04 PM
Quote from: snoopdog on November 15, 2016, 09:22:44 PM

Athletic Grounds at 2.30pm. Pity they couldn't have played it at 6pm under lights.

This time of year the lights might be needed anyway.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

DownFanatic

It will be interesting to see how Slaughtneil deal with Niall Kane's kick outs as he more or less goes short every time. Rarely a long ball goes out to midfielders McGreevy or McClean.
From what I've seen so far no team has really been able to cope with Kilcoo breaking from deep. Daryl and Aaron Branagan are the main protagonists here. Slaughtneil's forwards will have to do a serious amount of chasing back.
Chrissy McKaigue be tasked with Laverty and Rogers on Johnston?

Walter Cronc

Quote from: DownFanatic on November 16, 2016, 10:51:52 AM
It will be interesting to see how Slaughtneil deal with Niall Kane's kick outs as he more or less goes short every time. Rarely a long ball goes out to midfielders McGreevy or McClean.
From what I've seen so far no team has really been able to cope with Kilcoo breaking from deep. Daryl and Aaron Branagan are the main protagonists here. Slaughtneil's forwards will have to do a serious amount of chasing back.
Chrissy McKaigue be tasked with Laverty and Rogers on Johnston?

The Slaughtneil forwards are shy of workrate. Karl McKaigue on Laverty i'd say. Chrissy may pick up Johnson. Is O'Hanlon not the real star in this Kilcoo side??

imtommygunn

I suspect you mean aren't...

I really don't think Chrissy McKaigue would suit marking Laverty at all and suspect you are right that the younger McKaigue will mark him. Laverty is a hugely influential player who would be an absolute nightmare to mark.

This should be a close game. Hard to call. I have a feeling Kilcoo will win but could be wrong. Slaughtneil look to have improved a good bit this year with some younger guys in the half back line looking very good.

Walter Cronc

Sorry I mean aren't. It isn't in the DNA up there.

Yeah wee Feeney has added real pace and Cassidy in midfield and McGrath in half forward are athletes.

Its a shame Jerome Johnson will be missing but promises to be a cracker. Kilcoo seem a tough outfit which is not something usually associated with Down sides.