Building a house

Started by JimStynes, February 26, 2011, 04:19:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mb80b60

Does anyone have a rough estimate of the price of getting electricity connected to a site?  We are roughly 100 feet from another fairly new property.

This is in the Armagh area btw.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: mb80b60 on February 11, 2015, 04:41:58 PM
Does anyone have a rough estimate of the price of getting electricity connected to a site?  We are roughly 100 feet from another fairly new property.

Go and ask your neighbour and just get an NIE survey. So many variables involved - the brother in law paid about 10 grand and he isn't far from another dwelling and main road.

mb80b60

Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 11, 2015, 05:32:49 PM
Quote from: mb80b60 on February 11, 2015, 04:41:58 PM

Go and ask your neighbour and just get an NIE survey. So many variables involved - the brother in law paid about 10 grand and he isn't far from another dwelling and main road.

Thanks Tony,  I assume when you say a NIE survey that they come out and give a quote for the work?

FermGael

Anybody have a rough idea how much it would be to build a small garage?
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Hereiam

What size?
Standard 300mm cavity wall plastered?
Roof slate or concrete tile?
Roller door?
Any windows?

FermGael

Standrad wall plastered.
Slates would depend on what is cheapest.
Probably a roller door and one window.
Boiler will be put it the garage and probably a bit of fire wood.
Small enough. 
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

johnneycool

Quote from: FermGael on February 12, 2015, 12:29:19 PM
Standrad wall plastered.
Slates would depend on what is cheapest.
Probably a roller door and one window.
Boiler will be put it the garage and probably a bit of fire wood.
Small enough.

Never bother getting the inside skin plastered, it'll look fine brushed and jointed, if you use decent brickies.

NP 76

Built one a 7-8 years ago cost about 10 grand. One window and mahogney door and a sliding panel door instead of the roller one better quality and less noise. I plastered the inside in sand and cement. I would advise you to go bigger than you need now as it doesn't take long to fill it up. You can pick up a good steel frame and sheeting shed for less. Still a good job if you go for double skin on the roof to save drips

Hereiam

For a single garage
£1000 for footings
£700 for power floated conc floor
£1500 for blocks+brickie
£1000 for plastering + plaster
£3000 for roof structure + joiner
£800 for roller door (brush seals will make it doesn't rattle)
£600 for pvc door & window
Wouldn't want to pay much more

laoislad

Didn't want to start a new thread so thought I'd ask here.

I've bought a load of outdoor rubber tiles(1m x 1m and 50mm depth) to build a play area for the kids.
What's the best way to get a good level ground underneath? Would paving sand be suitable?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

illdecide

Quote from: laoislad on February 19, 2015, 11:14:14 PM

I've bought a load of outdoor rubber tiles(1m x 1m and 50mm depth) to build a play area for the kids.
What's the best way to get a good level ground underneath? Would paving sand be suitable?

Yes do well LL...dust blinding or sand will do the trick (don't for get to compact it)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

laoislad

Quote from: illdecide on February 20, 2015, 08:43:13 AM

Yes do well LL...dust blinding or sand will do the trick (don't for get to compact it)
Good man. Would a good stamp with my feet do or would I need to hire a roller?
The area is about 10sq meters.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

illdecide

Quote from: laoislad on February 20, 2015, 10:20:08 AM

lol...depends on how quick you want them to sink...lol...only messing. Unless your putting them on top of sleech then you will be able to put the blinding or sand directly to the clay and bed them in. A possible option is to put a layer of polyethylene under to stop weeds coming through. Dunno about your feet but a good roller would be grand or a bit of 4x2 timber straight edge to level it out and give it a light whack will do the trick too

johnneycool

Quote from: illdecide on February 20, 2015, 11:29:15 AM
Quote from: laoislad on February 20, 2015, 10:20:08 AM

lol...depends on how quick you want them to sink...lol...only messing. Unless your putting them on top of sleech then you will be able to put the blinding or sand directly to the clay and bed them in. A possible option is to put a layer of polyethylene under to stop weeds coming through. Dunno about your feet but a good roller would be grand or a bit of 4x2 timber straight edge to level it out and give it a light whack will do the trick too

Hire a whacking plate, better than a roller.

illdecide

No need to go over the top for a play area for the kids, I doubt there'll be any structural loading and a whack with a plank will do it grand