The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tommy Tibbs

Brilliant achievement from Lowry! Didnt see it but by the sound of it he showed great steel as well, just a pity he doesnt pick up a cent for it in prize £.

LeopoldButters

fair play to Lowry, some great entertainment over the past few days!

Canalman

Couldn't but help thinking of the film Happy Gilmore at the end when the crowd surged on to the green at the end. Not really a big Golf person but isn't that frowned upon? Presume that the Baltray members will be harrumphing for a while about that.

Congrats to him anyway.

corn02

Quote from: Canalman on May 17, 2009, 09:22:31 PM
Couldn't but help thinking of the film Happy Gilmore at the end when the crowd surged on to the green at the end. Not really a big Golf person but isn't that frowned upon? Presume that the Baltray members will be harrumphing for a while about that.

Congrats to him anyway.

It's not good etiquette and to be honest the only other time I can remember is the US Ryder Cup time and there was massive bad press. That said, the fact a local amteur won and the pure tension and drama that went on the hour before, it is excusable to see such a release.

johnpower

Great win for the young lad . I heard that one of his relatives won big with the bookies .I was impressed yesterday when his father was been interviewed he did not want to talk about his own career but wanted to focus on his sons career

gerrykeegan

Hats off to young McIlroy, going out in those conditions to cheer on Lowry was a fine thing to do. My mate had 10 e/w on Rock at 80's. He went up and all to see it. I'm afraid to ring him!
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

GaillimhIarthair

WELL DONE Shane Lowry.  Absolutely super display under immense pressure by the man from Clara.

AZOffaly

Fair play to Shane Lowry. We've been following his amateur results in Offaly for a while, as he was the 'next big thing' for a couple of years. Of course the fact that he is Brendy's son is a help as well. He looks the same as he did when he was 5 years old :D

You know you're getting old when you played football with the Irish Open Champion's father :D Granted Brendan was finishing up at the time, but still :)

Anyway, delighted for Shane, and delighted for Brendy and Bridgie as well. Also, delighted for Offaly. Hope the footballers were watching :D

Capt Pat

Quote from: corn02 on May 17, 2009, 09:29:45 PM
Quote from: Canalman on May 17, 2009, 09:22:31 PM

Congrats to him anyway.

It's not good etiquette and to be honest the only other time I can remember is the US Ryder Cup time and there was massive bad press. That said, the fact a local amteur won and the pure tension and drama that went on the hour before, it is excusable to see such a release.

That was a completely different situation, the European guy still had to have his putt and there may have been other games still to finish, I forget now. Today the tournament was finished and there are often mini invasions at the end of tournaments but none quite like todays, that was simply brilliant today.

orangeman

Some achievement by Lowry - well done.

magickingdom

cant get my head around what lowry did today.... some going some entertainment. had to laugh when the commentators were saying he couldnt be fined for a curse or two as he wasnt a pro. hope he makes loads of dosh in the future. didnt his dad play on the offaly team that robbed kerry of the 5 in a row in 82? prety sure he did

AZOffaly

Jaysus Magickingdom, were you blocking out all mentions of 1982? His father is Brendan Lowry, played corner forward in 1982 (and for many years after that as well). His uncles Seanie and Mick also played that day.

orangeman

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 17, 2009, 11:29:00 PM
Jaysus Magickingdom, were you blocking out all mentions of 1982? His father is Brendan Lowry, played corner forward in 1982 (and for many years after that as well). His uncles Seanie and Mick also played that day.

Nice mention of this on the Sunday Game of the whole connections.

He would have been a nice price last week to pick up the trophy ??

Orior

Quote from: gerrykeegan on May 17, 2009, 09:43:35 PM
Hats off to young McIlroy, going out in those conditions to cheer on Lowry was a fine thing to do. My mate had 10 e/w on Rock at 80's. He went up and all to see it. I'm afraid to ring him!

Fair play to McIlroy indeed
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

SLIGONIAN

Congrats to Lowry, hopefully the start of bigger things, pity the lad doesnt get the money, I know hes a amateur so the title will have to suffice for now, but im sure he'll make plenty in future. The Irish open went without an Irish winner for a long time now 2 in 3 yrs.

Fair play to mciliroy aswell, nice touch..
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"