The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JPGJOHNNYG

68 at 13 wow! His most famous amateur round was then the 61 round Portrush at 15 - its incredible, as good a golfer as he is he definitely isnt fullfilling his ambition. He really shoukd have been the next Tiger feel he has wasted a number of the last few years.

Minder

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on April 16, 2018, 06:36:46 AM
68 at 13 wow! His most famous amateur round was then the 61 round Portrush at 15 - its incredible, as good a golfer as he is he definitely isnt fullfilling his ambition. He really shoukd have been the next Tiger feel he has wasted a number of the last few years.

Not close to Tigers level, no disgrace in that though.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: Minder on April 16, 2018, 08:13:25 AM
Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on April 16, 2018, 06:36:46 AM

Not close to Tigers level, no disgrace in that though.

He had the potential. I still think he will win another few majors and go down as one of the greats. The big difference with Tiger when in his pomp was when Tiger had an off day he still got it around with an ok score, rory on the other hand seems to be affected by a few bad shots and suddenly lets the round slip away

Applesisapples

Quote from: David McKeown on April 15, 2018, 04:55:18 PM
Quote from: Orchard park on April 11, 2018, 04:28:42 PM
going back 13 years to the west of ireland i have a intense dislike of McIlroy and his zealot of a father and all connected to them. It may not be rational but most who have crossed their paths since would know where i am coming from. I respect the money raised by the PR / Charitable foundation but i will delight when i see him depending on sponsors passes to play tournaments.

Give me gentlemen like Paul Dunne, Shane Lowry, Padraig harrington, Graeme McDowell and Paul McGinley any day of the week

My point is Rory wants a yes man on the bag, so he got one, but it wont call his putts so that one is all down to his own failings
Once an arseh*le....
I had a similar experience when I played in a tournament with him several years ago. I was so bad his dad asked officials to remove me after nine holes because I was putting Rory off. That said maybe that kind of attitude is what it takes to be one of the best in the world.

trailer

Most elite level sportspeople are arseholes. Tiger is an absolute rocket for example.

Orchard park

proably the case bit it doesn't excuse those we produce ourselves

AZOffaly

Quote from: Orchard park on April 16, 2018, 10:36:49 AM

Are 'most' elite sportspeople actually dingbats, or is it confined to more of the individual sports where you are so focused on yourself and your performance and the tiny details that you don't ever really round into the sort of person that can relate to mere mortals?

I've met a few 'elite' sportspeople from team games, and most of them have been down to earth, and perfectly nice.

Orchard park

think a good clarification there AZ, probably individual sports leads to it more.

McIlory remains a knob in my world anyways

screenexile

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 16, 2018, 10:40:49 AM

Are 'most' elite sportspeople actually dingbats, or is it confined to more of the individual sports where you are so focused on yourself and your performance and the tiny details that you don't ever really round into the sort of person that can relate to mere mortals?

I've met a few 'elite' sportspeople from team games, and most of them have been down to earth, and perfectly nice.

It's subjective though . . . everybody can be an arsehole at some stage or another. Someone meeting McIlroy at a hospital going around sick kids would think he's a great lad whereas others can't believe he fucked around for so long deciding if he'd represent Ireland or the UK at the Olympics.

Depending on the particular day you meet someone they could be the nicest person in the world or a complete arsehole and I think we've all been guilty of that at times!

Orior

Quote from: screenexile on April 16, 2018, 11:30:49 AM

It's subjective though . . . everybody can be an arsehole at some stage or another. Someone meeting McIlroy at a hospital going around sick kids would think he's a great lad whereas others can't believe he fucked around for so long deciding if he'd represent Ireland or the UK at the Olympics.

Depending on the particular day you meet someone they could be the nicest person in the world or a complete arsehole and I think we've all been guilty of that at times!

Exactly. We could probably have the same discussion about Federa and others, and many people love to hate Beckham. 

I believe a lot of the hate is down to people's own inadequacies and jealousy.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

laoislad

Quote from: Orior on April 16, 2018, 01:33:51 PM

Exactly. We could probably have the same discussion about Federa and others, and many people love to hate Beckham. 

Is that why you dislike Speith so much then....
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

screenexile

Quote from: laoislad on April 16, 2018, 01:53:53 PM
Quote from: Orior on April 16, 2018, 01:33:51 PM

Is that why you dislike Speith so much then....

People hate Spieth because he's slow, wins so much and very rarely says anything other than cliché'd platitudes . . . Paul Dunne is just as slow but hasn't hit the bigtime so he's likable enough!

Orchard park

but "hate" which is a much over used inaccurate term is generally towards people they dont know/ never met / watch on TV.

dont know how someone can hate a golfer for playing slow.... can see how they wouldnt rate somebody if they are a cnut towards a fellow golfer

Gabriel_Hurl

can someone get this fella Rory's autograph

trailer

People getting carried away. Individual sports people at the very top are typically single minded and driven. It's this very characteristic that can lead people to not liking/ hating them.