The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puckoon

Quote from: Insane Bolt on May 03, 2018, 01:27:18 PM
https://sports.vice.com/en_us/article/aebgka/why-the-masters-is-the-easiest-major-to-win

Open far superior to Masters, Masters has smallest field.

Masters 200% the "best" major. Just ask the guys who've never won it.

Applesisapples

Quote from: Puckoon on May 03, 2018, 04:18:04 PM
Quote from: Insane Bolt on May 03, 2018, 01:27:18 PM
https://sports.vice.com/en_us/article/aebgka/why-the-masters-is-the-easiest-major-to-win

Open far superior to Masters, Masters has smallest field.

Masters 200% the "best" major. Just ask the guys who've never won it.
I have to say I look forward to watching the masters, perhaps because its the first of the season.

TheOptimist

Quote from: screenexile on May 03, 2018, 03:27:53 PM
Quote from: thebigfella on May 03, 2018, 02:29:54 PM
Quote from: TheOptimist on May 03, 2018, 01:34:36 PM
McIlroy of to a flyer today I see.

Watched a video online yesterday which showed how to fade a drive. Tried on the range last night and the results were brilliant. Not only in understanding the fade but understanding and controlling my swing more. Could be a turning point.

Always the optimist

What video was it?

I can't find the one now Screenexile. It was on http://www.golf.com/instruction somewhere. Lots of decent tips on here! The one in particular was talking about swinging inside to out on your down swing to get the right spin on the ball. Makes sense when I think about it now.

Puckoon

Not sure how you can play a fade with an In to Out swing path. Fade being a shot that starts left of target and moves right.

Ball flight laws dictate 3 shots from an In to Out swing path (clubface relative to target)

Push slice (club face aimed right of swing path at impact). Starts right of target and continues Right
Push (neutral clubface at impact) Starts right of target and stays straight
Push Hook (draw) (clubface aimed left of swing path at impact) Starts right of target and moves left

To hit a fade (not a slice), swing path must be Out to In with an open clubface at impact.

Puckoon

Quote from: Puckoon on May 03, 2018, 06:09:10 PM
Not sure how you can play a fade with an In to Out swing path. Fade being a shot that starts left of target and moves right.

Ball flight laws dictate 3 shots from an In to Out swing path (clubface relative to target)

Push slice (club face aimed right of swing path at impact). Starts right of target and continues Right
Push Hook (draw) (clubface aimed left of swing path at impact) Starts right of target and moves left

To hit a fade (not a slice), swing path must be Out to In with an open clubface at impact.

EDIT: Absolutely agree with you however on a Fade being a much more controlled drive. That Patrick Reed used it so effectively at ANC given that he is a huge slinger of the ball the other way is serious testament to it - and it's a much easier shot for many to execute than the Holy Grail draw.

TheOptimist

I say fade I mean draw sorry. I'm new to this.

Puckoon

Then you'll disagree wholly with my EDIT above  :D :D

thebigfella

Generally speaking the club face must be open relative to swing path. Look at justin rose etc... they prefer to play a fade and you wouldn't say they have and out to in swing.

Puckoon

I've not researched his ball flight, or his swing path. He seems to be a pretty straight hitter - rarely in trouble like Rory - nor known for slinging it around like Bubba.

I don't argue with ball flight laws however. If he's fading the ball (again starting left of target) he is swinging somewhat (and these guys are pros, their margins are much different than many of us) out to in with a club face open at impact, relative to the swing plane. If he's starting it straight with a slight fade off the straight line - could all be down to clubface on a straight in to in path.

Now, lets remember in many instances we are talking a 1-5 yard ball flight movement over maybe a 280-300 yard carry. I could buy that that small amount could be influenced solely by club face orientation, given that club face at impact is the primary driver in ball direction.

Minder

Been watching the golf on and off this evening and jesus McIlroy hasn't hit a fairway anytime I see him
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Gabriel_Hurl

Well done Dunne and Moynihan.

Ireland win Golf 6s tournament.

Orior

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on May 06, 2018, 05:42:21 PM
Well done Dunne and Moynihan.

Ireland win Golf 6s tournament.

Could Ireland not afford team jerseys? Anyway, good win for us!
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Boycey

Two tidy groups on featured cover this afternoon in The Players

Bubba, DJ and Koepka followed by Rory, Spieth and Justin Thomas. Productivity level will be low this afternoon..

Orior

Quote from: Boycey on May 10, 2018, 01:14:53 PM
Two tidy groups on featured cover this afternoon in The Players

Bubba, DJ and Koepka followed by Rory, Spieth and Justin Thomas. Productivity level will be low this afternoon..

Ditto
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Boycey

Golf is gas, Rory and Thomas's 2nd shots at their 1st hole run off the side of the green to about 60ft and both comfortably get up and down for par. Spieth hits his 2nd to 6ft and then 3 putts for a bogey  :o