weekly horse bet
3 (3.3%)
football and horses frequently
21 (23.3%)
anything that moves whenever, wherever
7 (7.8%)

Total Members Voted: 90

ardchieftain

Discipline and form study are essential ingredients of profitable gambling. I started punting on soccer and horses while at school, had a few nice wins over the years, but overall i doubt if i was ahead of the bookie.

Then i moved house which happened to be right beside a bookies shop and coincided with me running a business from the house. i was almost always finished up for the day by lunchtime so i'd nip into the bookies out of boredom. Had a few wins, decided i was a pro punter, upped my stakes and started losing[this was horses by the way]. Tried chasing my losses with even bigger punts and before long i pissed the business away.

In many ways it was a blessing as i had to take a long hard look at myself and admit that i had a problem. Stopped gambling altogether for 3 months, which was actually easier than i thought. i decided that if i was going to punt again i would need to do some research so i tracked down everything i could by people who were making a living at it. I was amazed at the discipline involved but the thing that really struck me was the insistence that a book be kept of all bets made.

So, i tested the waters with a few months of soccer betting. Took extensive notes, researched form trends, a team's most important players etc and found that i was well in front.

That was 5 years ago and i've turned a profit every year since. No vast fortunes, the best year was just over 3k ahead.

I still lose my discipline. For example i've done 6 horses since saturday., mostly because of boredom[ at a very rare loose end on saturday]. Had to have a word with myself about it today.

What i've learned is that running after life changing money is futile, always punt within your means, always keep accounts and review regularly, always do the research and never bet with the heart.

oh, and never put tips up on internet forums as they'll always lose !!

oakleafgael

Up until about 12 months ago I used to make enough over the year to pay the majority of the mortgage, this was over a period of four and a half years based on the work of a syndicate on BAGS racing. Unfortunately have been roaded out of all available avenues for getting enough on regularly to make it worth the hassle. The amount of people claiming to be professional punters or making it pay is laughable.

illdecide

Unreal some of the stories from people and the sad consequences it can lead to at some homes...What makes gambling so addictive? and why can't people stop rather than gamble the money they can't afford to lose...I gamble mostly on football but do punt on horses too but i only gamble with money i can afford to lose, i would never gamble money that i couldn't afford to lose.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Eamonnca1

HiMucker

Quote from: oakleafgael on September 12, 2011, 11:31:32 PM
Up until about 12 months ago I used to make enough over the year to pay the majority of the mortgage, this was over a period of four and a half years based on the work of a syndicate on BAGS racing. Unfortunately have been roaded out of all available avenues for getting enough on regularly to make it worth the hassle. The amount of people claiming to be professional punters or making it pay is laughable.
I have been trying to get into arbing but its very time consuming especially at the start.  You come home form work, or after training and you just couldnt be bother, but I really want to give it a lash.  Is this soemthing you would be into/try yourself?

Puckoon

Quote from: oakleafgael on September 12, 2011, 11:31:32 PM

Yet you are claiming the same thing?  ???

Galwaybhoy

I bet online, rarely.  I normally try and keep with the sure bets even if the profit is small.  I bet on hurling, soccer and maybe American Football.  I stay away from horses.  Too many to pick from and very hard to win on.

I learned my lesson a couple of years ago when I put alot of money on Tiger Woods to win one of the Opens.  He was well ahead when I backed him but he didn't win.  Luckily for me Paddy Power paid out early.  The latest bet I made was picking the winners of the four Rugby World Cup groups.  But I wouldn't consider myself a gambler as such.

Eamonnca1

As my dad would say, you go into the bookies and there's 4 windows for paying in but only one window for paying out.

Milltown Row2

I bet online, £10 a week to Paddy Power. If I win then fine I take out my £10 pounds and bet with Paddy's money.

I do some football, Gaelic football and mainly hurling.  I try and stay away from the big prices as they very rarely win ::) so 4/6 2/5 or 1/3's will do. I try and build it up to £80 or £90 and take it out and start over again. Have managed a few recently which keeps the wife happy as we have online banking and see can see what I bet!! so it's easy to be controlled ;D

I don't bet to make a lot of money (you never really do) for me the winning is great but it's a hobby/vice that I like doing, I don't control the purse strings so won't ever lose my house over gambling.

Hurling is good in that they don't normally have draws and the favourites normally win. Getting the handicaps in these games can be profitable, as said already, knowing the teams and watching the games is crucial in making money.

A friend of mine bets the odd ton on say a 1/3 or 2/5 double, but on things that he knowledge on. He normally wins but there is no way I'll ever bet a ton on anything. (Unless it's Paddy's money)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Don Johnson

Milltown Row2

Hurling bet for the weekend, now no real money but profit that you can build on

Thurles Sarsfields 1/7
Nenagh Eire Og   1/7
Erins Own           4/11
Clonkill                1/4

Other ones you can add would be De La Salle (but they didn't win last week)
Lismore and Clarinbridge. But being greedy means you might lose out
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

ardchieftain

Never bet on club hurling, must do a wee bit of research.
Does anyone do handicap betting on gaa club games ?

put up a tip on the soccer betting thread, braga are seriously overpriced

Milltown Row2

Quote from: ardchieftain on September 14, 2011, 10:53:58 PM
Never bet on club hurling, must do a wee bit of research.
Does anyone do handicap betting on gaa club games ?

put up a tip on the soccer betting thread, braga are seriously overpriced

No, but they usually give you handicaps for the finals.

Its about making a small profit and betting with their money for a change

Atticus_Finch

What about a punt on St Galls for the Kilmacud 7s MR ?  Your lads normally take it fairly seriously and if play to their ability wouldn't be far away ... can only see price with one firm so far, 3/1
"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

Eamonnca1

When I hear gambling talk it just sounds like gibberish to me. I like to keep it that way.