Mayo V Laois Challenge

Started by moysider, May 05, 2008, 06:42:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

Just back from 'haunis.  Draw. Laois 1-15  Mayo 3-9 . Half-time  it was 2-5 to 7 points and Mayo had the breeze in the second half. Alarming Mayo collapse for most of the second half though, even if it was only a challenge. Laois on the other hand look in rude good health and their poor league form looks irrelevant at this stage. They looked more of a championship team than we did today. They re big and pacey with a few classy forwards and I thought the 7-1 I got just now on Paddy power good value for Leinster. On the other hand the awful performance of the Mayo forwards in the second half will not convince some of us that the Mayo team is better without CMcD. I can go into detail of individual performances, scoring etc for both teams if anybody is interested. 

Farrandeelin

What was the Mayo team moysider? Not too bothered about the scorers just the team.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

moysider

Clarke
A. Higgins.
Conroy
Nallen
Kelly
Heaney
Boyle
McGarrity
O Shea.
Campbell
Harte
Trevor
Conor
Kilcoyne
Ronaldson

Subs, Parsons. K. Higgins. Mullins.

rosnarun

go on fill us in with the scorers. i wouldn't woory too much about the performance. challange matches are odd things. were there any odd patterns to mayos play? often times they use these games  for experimentation. how was o'shea?
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

moysider

Quote from: rosnarun on May 05, 2008, 07:59:00 PM
go on fill us in with the scorers. i wouldn't woory too much about the performance. challange matches are odd things. were there any odd patterns to mayos play? often times they use these games  for experimentation. how was o'shea?

Take your point about it being a challenge match but we were seriously outmuscled in the second half. Here s how I thought they performed.

Clarke. Excellent. Made at least 3 excellent saves. Great distance on Kick outs and threw in a few very good short ones in the second half when we could nt buy possession out the field. Had no chance with the goal. Distribution from hand first rate. Only one ropey moment. Communicating well and showing leadership. Mom. 9/10

A. Higgins. Very accomplished and composed. Looks much happier in the corner than others that were tried there and better than when he played there first 9 years ago. Kept Parkinson quiet. Moved the ball smartly. 7.5

Conroy. Strong and good pace. Was nt shown up and did a lot of things well. Seems to be growing into the roll. 6.5

Nallen. Thought he did very well and was the third man in probably the mast composed fullback line all year. Looks as good as ever. Any talk of him being gone slow is bulls**t. Coped well with young Tierney who is a tricky customer. On this performance he could well be the man to solve a troublesome corner back spot. Tidied up and moved things along well.7.5

Kelly. Played well. Marking Billy Sheehan and did well and got forward too. Taken off at ht for K Higgins. Good man to have around. 7

Heaney. Best outfield player for Mayo. Had a good tussle which he edged with Brian McCormack. Got on the ball a lot besides. One of our few leaders. Looks like putting Howley under pressure for cb. 8

Boyle. Had a busy afternoon. Full of energy. Had some good moments. Was marking Laois best forward in Ross Munnelly. Had the pace for him but Munnelly still scored 3 points from play. But he usually will anyway in most games. Then later in the game he had yo pick up Parkinson who looks more at home on the wing. So does Boyle. 6

McGarrity. Solid first half against a powerful Quigley. At least while he was on the field we were competitive in the area. When he was replaced at ht we crumbled. Coincidence? 7

O Shea. Hard to believe it but his opponent John O Loughlin was bigger and stronger, O Shea came off second best I thought.. Replaced early in second half. Struggled with the pace I thought. May need more time and his fitness may need work as well. 5

Campbell[ 0-2 1/45] Great work rate and injected pace and urgency into the game. A bit wild a couple of times kicking into blocks. Could have picked up more breaks second half. Still looks like a probable ch. starter. 7. Kicked a lovely 45 which is a nice option to have. 7

Harte. Hardly a no. 11 and not playing as well as 06 but signs he might in 6 weeks time. Moved to midfield when O Shea went off and did reasonably. May be needed in team to help out in midfield. 6

T Mortimor. [0-1]Got on a sight of ball in first half around the middle and his distribution was good picking out the corner men time and again. However when Laois had the ball Tom Kelly ran riot. Kelly scored a point as well. Worked hard to get Mayo back into it near the end. Wild at times and his distribution went west in the second half. Launched a customary garryowen and kicked into an obvious block as well. Overall good to see him fit and well. Maybe a half-back berth again would suit best. 7

C. Mortimor.[ 1p- 3 /2f] Always looked a threat. Scored a lovely first point and won a few frees winning most ball that went his way.  Nailed his penalty expertly and looks in good form. Gave Healy a torrid time.  8.

Kilcoyne. [1-2]A curate s egg of a display. Took his goal well and nailed 2 nice points playing in a withdrawn full forward role similar to Austin;'s in league. His dead ball kicking was a disaster however, missing 2 simple frees and driving a 45 wide as well. Marked by Joe Higgins who s no slouch. This role suits his game better than the wing and maybe he can do the job as well as Austin does? Time will tell. 6.5

Ronaldson.[1-0] Ok first half and took his goal well. Seemed to be trying too hard and forcing things. Took wrong options a few times. A couple of wild shots into blocks. Andy s place not in threat. 5

Subs.

Parsons. Introduced into Midfield in the second half. Very impressive on the ball and made  one great catch. However our midfield were beaten as a whole. Still Parsons worked hard and carried ball well and was one of those instrumental in rallying in last 10 mins. Ahead of O Shea in race to partner McGarrity. 8.

K Higgins. Introduced at half time and I never saw him quieter - God Knows how many games he played the weekend. 5.

Mullins.0-1] Looks like he needs more time to settle in at this level. Kicked away the first 2 balls he got at a time when Mayo possession was at a premium. Recovered well to kick equaliser and almost nailed the winner. 5.

The most alarming thing from our point of view was when Laois upped the intensity in the second half we were brushed aside on the breaks and they ran through our midfield and half-back line. The way we re set up it looks essential that we win midfield well in matches to keep opposition score down to manageable levels. Individually our forwards had their moments but in the second half they were a rabble with little shape and less leadership. The distribution and shooting was as bad as any I ve seen from us in a long time.

stephenite

Good reports Moysider - would agree (from the limited bits I've seen this year) that Trev Mort could be a revelation if deployed at half back - as usual we seem to be spoilt for choices in one line and struggle to match up with the best in others - which if is the case might be better to keep Trev in the half forwards, if he can string some consistent performances together and stay injury free he could be a big player for us during the summer

moysider

Quote from: stephenite on May 06, 2008, 12:29:44 AM
Good reports Moysider - would agree (from the limited bits I've seen this year) that Trev Mort could be a revelation if deployed at half back - as usual we seem to be spoilt for choices in one line and struggle to match up with the best in others - which if is the case might be better to keep Trev in the half forwards, if he can string some consistent performances together and stay injury free he could be a big player for us during the summer

Agree. Trevor is a gem [and Conor as well looks to becoming a more rounded mature player] . Trevor  leads by example as well and seriously hard. But of course where to play him? I m favouring half back now but a half back line of Higgins Heaney and Howley hard to argue with - then there s  Kelly, Boyle and Barrett and Cuniffe as options there too. Our half Forward line maybe needs his presence but sometimes his wildness there ruins great opportunities sometimes when opposition is opened up and he just skewes possession away. Hard to see him settle for the simple option at this stage. But I d always find a place for him.

RedandGreenSniper

Great to hear about the impressive performances from Aidan Higgins and Jimmy Nallen. For the life of me I don't know why Higgins wasn't given more game time in the league, think he's a much better corner back option than Cunniffe or O'Malley. I'd have him as a shoo-in for that spot for championship, unless there's something I'm not aware of.

Nallen is an interesting proposition. He could be able to do a job in the corner, time will be the best judge. What is certain is that Kieran Conroy, if O'Mahony plays him at full-back, would benefit in a huge way in having Higgins and Nallen either side of him.

That would also free up Keith Higgins for the wing - his best position, which would be great because a few weeks ago it looked as if he would have to be drafted back into the corner. Add in Heaney to the half-back line and one of Howley (perhaps not as sure for chb now but I'd still go with him), T Mort and T Cunniffe (way better out here than in the corner) and I think things might come together nicely in defence.

Parsons looks set to partner McGarrity in midfield and that leaves the forward six. Dillon, C Mort and Andy are definites to start at 11, 13 and 15 respetively. I think O'Mahony will go with Harte on one wing, Austie has to be perservered with at full so that leaves one other wing spot. Kilcoyne is out, I think. Moysider you're right when you say the inside line is the place for him. He's a good option to bring on there.

So you'd have T Mort, if he's not picked at wing-back (he has to start). If Mort is wing back you'd have Gill, Mullins and Campbell fighting for that spot. Think it will be Mort though.

Providing Nallen and Higgins continue to do well in the corners then I think this would be our starting XV
Clarke
A Higgins  K Conroy  J Nallen
D Heaney  T Howley  K Higgins
R McGarrity  T Parsons
P Harte  A Dillon  T Mortimer
C Mortimer  A O'Malley  A Moran.
That looks fairly decent imho. I'll still reserve judgement on Conroy though
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

laoisgaa

Anyone got the Laois lineout - was working at something else yesterday so couldn't go - presume there was a big crowd at it? - fair play to all in Ballyhaunis GAA - sounds like an impressive development

Maradona

was at the game yesterday, would agree with a lot of the ratings, but think you are off the mark with a few. In general Mayo were putrid in the second half...brushed aside when Laois had posession and headless when we had posession. I saw the game as O'Mahony giving the fringe players an opportunity - hiowever none of the othere need worry too much!

Agree A Higgins is currently head of the list for one of the corners. But lads, Nallen? Look, he kind of ticked things over yesterday as he does well but was not really in it when 50/50 man to man action was required and just did a shadowing thing once his man got the ball really. All due respect to a great servent, but dont think he should be in the squad and could have been accommodiated in the set-up elsewhere.

Conroy did grand without ever been dominent.

Agree Heaney was one of the best yesterday, but unfortunately for him, being tried again in a different position. Think its his best position though. Thought Kelly was a bit off the pase and was second to his man a lot of the time. Boyle is tigerish and committed and thought he did well yesterday, but maybe a bit lacking in height and seems to be grounded a lot!

McGarrity was ok for the half he was on. Thought O'Shea did well for the first half and looks fitter than I ever seen him. But agree Parsons is ahead of him although not as physically strong. Parsons cought one lovely ball when he came on.

T Mortimer - gave everything in fairness and battled throughout as if it was championship. But distribution / holding on too long / getting blocked, etc. lets him down too so often. Was placed with a lovely pass by his brother for a point and then balooned it.

Thought Harte was dissapointing after strting well. Campbell played well in spurts. Tends to get blocked a lot and sometimes takes too much out of the ball. Would like to see him shoot a bit more.
Conor did well withought being brilliant. Was taking it a bit handy I think, but was our only real threat in the forwards in the first half. Not only is he our best scorer, sometimes he appears to be our best forward at winning his own ball, and that says something!
Kilcoyne mixed the sublime with the ridicilous. 2 very scorable frees put wide - a couple of lovely scores from play - bad miss at the end when we needed it badly. Will be used a lot in the championship though cos we are very short in the forward dept
Ronaldson - tried really hard, but not up to it at this level. Same for Mullins

rosnarun

QuoteRonaldson - tried really hard, but not up to it at this level.
And has been given a good 10 minutes to prove it
Jeez lads give a guy a chance . players need time to develop and it often the slow startes that develop the best . not every one can start off at midfield in an allireland semi ala Heaney Neither Nallens of Ciaran mcdonald 1st efforts were very promising
I rmember looking at nallen in particular and wondering was it family reputation that got him onto the Squad.
May have lost too many good propect from such flippant attitudes
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

moysider

Quote from: laoisgaa on May 06, 2008, 03:29:16 AM
Anyone got the Laois lineout - was working at something else yesterday so couldn't go - presume there was a big crowd at it? - fair play to all in Ballyhaunis GAA - sounds like an impressive development

Mediocre cwowd on a lovely day.

Nolan
Healy
O Leary
Higgins
Kelly
Rooney
McMahon
Quigley
O Loughlin
Sheehan
McCormack
Munnelly
Tierney
Kelly
Parkinson.

Subs.

The Stradbally Colm Kelly came on for Ross Munnelly at ht.
Thought I saw clancy on the field too towards the end but too be honest I was paying more attention to our own lot and I c ould nt hear any public addresses where I was - if there was any.

moysider

Quote from: Maradona on May 06, 2008, 10:16:17 AM
was at the game yesterday, would agree with a lot of the ratings, but think you are off the mark with a few. In general Mayo were putrid in the second half...brushed aside when Laois had posession and headless when we had posession. I saw the game as O'Mahony giving the fringe players an opportunity - hiowever none of the othere need worry too much!

Agree A Higgins is currently head of the list for one of the corners. But lads, Nallen? Look, he kind of ticked things over yesterday as he does well but was not really in it when 50/50 man to man action was required and just did a shadowing thing once his man got the ball really. All due respect to a great servent, but dont think he should be in the squad and could have been accommodiated in the set-up elsewhere.

Conroy did grand without ever been dominent.

Agree Heaney was one of the best yesterday, but unfortunately for him, being tried again in a different position. Think its his best position though. Thought Kelly was a bit off the pase and was second to his man a lot of the time. Boyle is tigerish and committed and thought he did well yesterday, but maybe a bit lacking in height and seems to be grounded a lot!

McGarrity was ok for the half he was on. Thought O'Shea did well for the first half and looks fitter than I ever seen him. But agree Parsons is ahead of him although not as physically strong. Parsons cought one lovely ball when he came on.

T Mortimer - gave everything in fairness and battled throughout as if it was championship. But distribution / holding on too long / getting blocked, etc. lets him down too so often. Was placed with a lovely pass by his brother for a point and then balooned it.

Thought Harte was dissapointing after strting well. Campbell played well in spurts. Tends to get blocked a lot and sometimes takes too much out of the ball. Would like to see him shoot a bit more.
Conor did well withought being brilliant. Was taking it a bit handy I think, but was our only real threat in the forwards in the first half. Not only is he our best scorer, sometimes he appears to be our best forward at winning his own ball, and that says something!
Kilcoyne mixed the sublime with the ridicilous. 2 very scorable frees put wide - a couple of lovely scores from play - bad miss at the end when we needed it badly. Will be used a lot in the championship though cos we are very short in the forward dept
Ronaldson - tried really hard, but not up to it at this level. Same for Mullins

We seem to have seen the game much the same - except for the Nallen issue where we ll just have to differ. I would prefer to see him at four rather than fellas who played there earlier. Young Tierney is a fine player and I believe he would have caused others more problems to others. Yesterday most ball Tierney  won he came deep for and he generally played off the other 2 forwards anyway and I thought Nallen handled that well.I had Tierney down as one point from play but I could have missed something. Other than Heaney back I dont think we have a viable alternative this year to Nallen. And that would be more messing about with Heaney. Whether Nallen features or not depends on whether Johnno sees it my way or your way. I think he may see it your way and persist with Cunniffe in the corner. That would be more consistant with his way of doing things. I think that would be a mistake but its only my opinion.

Maradona

Dint get me wrong, I thought Nallen did well yesterday, but in the white heat of championship, dont think it would be fair. I'm convinced Cunniffe is not a corner back, so would not have him in there either. Not good to be making big changes, but right now I would have A Higgins Contoy Howley Cunniffe heaney K Higgins. I like Howley at CHB but think Heaney or even Cunniffe could do as g=ood a job, but on the other hand, howley is prob more natural corner back than either.

Might have appeared harsh and poorly phrased on Ronaldson - he played well enough yesterday - point really is that he is probably as good as other corner forwards tried, but Mayo need to look to get more height and strength into the FF line and a lot of the smaller lads we have tried in the FF line, allbeit good footballers, are not physically up to it in the modern game. Already we will be relying on an axis in the forwards of Dillion-C Mortimer-A Moran and our forwards must be the smallest around.

moysider

Quote from: Maradona on May 06, 2008, 01:38:40 PM
Dint get me wrong, I thought Nallen did well yesterday, but in the white heat of championship, dont think it would be fair. I'm convinced Cunniffe is not a corner back, so would not have him in there either. Not good to be making big changes, but right now I would have A Higgins Contoy Howley Cunniffe heaney K Higgins. I like Howley at CHB but think Heaney or even Cunniffe could do as g=ood a job, but on the other hand, howley is prob more natural corner back than either.

Might have appeared harsh and poorly phrased on Ronaldson - he played well enough yesterday - point really is that he is probably as good as other corner forwards tried, but Mayo need to look to get more height and strength into the FF line and a lot of the smaller lads we have tried in the FF line, allbeit good footballers, are not physically up to it in the modern game. Already we will be relying on an axis in the forwards of Dillion-C Mortimer-A Moran and our forwards must be the smallest around.

I ve always prefered Howley as a half back. Strength is attacking the ball and he can get caught out and his recovery would nt be great. He s probably not even the best corner back in Knockmore. Farrandeelin might have an opinion on this?