Casement Park in line for major overhaul - 40,000 all seater Stadium.

Started by Joxer, October 06, 2010, 02:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evil Genius

Quote from: Main Street on March 06, 2020, 07:25:10 PM
Faulty argument.   There is absolutely no doubt that there was one grant of £61m to the IFA which the IFA chose to spend according to their dictates and all this was agreed in 2011.
https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/three-cheers-for-stadium-funding-announcement-28598468.html

The second part of the 61m was released after the IFA and Linfield came to a legal agreeement.
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/17130404

'Linfield will own the ground while the IFA will manage the stadium under the contract, which it is believed is nearing agreement.
The move will release a secondary pot of £31m, millions of which will be directed towards a redevelopment of Derry City's Brandywell stadium and also a new stadium for Glentoran.
A significant sum has also been earmarked for a national academy.'

Here is the official hansard report debate at Stormont which the IFA participated in
http://www.niassembly.gov.uk/assembly-business/official-report/committee-minutes-of-evidence/session-2011-2012/june-2011/stadia-development-irish-football-association/

Please read the submission by Mr Patrick Nelson (IFA)

which includes the following quote
"Mick Cory mentioned that there was an NI Executive decision on 10 March about capital funding. The road to that point was a long one, and there were many false dawns along the way, but we were absolutely delighted that the Executive agreed funding for the national stadium redevelopment project and the subregional stadia project."

Re. the agreement with Linfield, that is not relevant to our debate, since it was a legal/technical argument about ownership of the land and stadium etc which had to be settled before Stormont would release the money to the IFA to redevelop Windsor.

As for the rest, your Hansard link actually reinforces my case that the sub-regional money was separate from the provincial (i.e. Windsor) money. For as IFA CEO Patrick Nelson remarked:
"Finally, we have worked a lot on safe stadia over the past few years and believe that there is still a little more work to do in that respect. Therefore, the funding that goes outside the national stadium will focus on some of those matters."

The emphasis on safe stadia clearly indicates that this second tranche of funding was recognition that NI had been left behind GB when it came to HMG funding football stadium safety improvements following Hillsborough.
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Main Street

Quote from: Evil Genius on March 08, 2020, 08:02:14 PM
Quote from: Main Street on March 06, 2020, 07:25:10 PM
Faulty argument.   There is absolutely no doubt that there was one grant of £61m to the IFA which the IFA chose to spend according to their dictates and all this was agreed in 2011.
https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/three-cheers-for-stadium-funding-announcement-28598468.html

The second part of the 61m was released after the IFA and Linfield came to a legal agreeement.
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/17130404

'Linfield will own the ground while the IFA will manage the stadium under the contract, which it is believed is nearing agreement.
The move will release a secondary pot of £31m, millions of which will be directed towards a redevelopment of Derry City's Brandywell stadium and also a new stadium for Glentoran.
A significant sum has also been earmarked for a national academy.'

Here is the official hansard report debate at Stormont which the IFA participated in
http://www.niassembly.gov.uk/assembly-business/official-report/committee-minutes-of-evidence/session-2011-2012/june-2011/stadia-development-irish-football-association/

Please read the submission by Mr Patrick Nelson (IFA)

which includes the following quote
"Mick Cory mentioned that there was an NI Executive decision on 10 March about capital funding. The road to that point was a long one, and there were many false dawns along the way, but we were absolutely delighted that the Executive agreed funding for the national stadium redevelopment project and the subregional stadia project."

Re. the agreement with Linfield, that is not relevant to our debate, since it was a legal/technical argument about ownership of the land and stadium etc which had to be settled before Stormont would release the money to the IFA to redevelop Windsor.

As for the rest, your Hansard link actually reinforces my case that the sub-regional money was separate from the provincial (i.e. Windsor) money. For as IFA CEO Patrick Nelson remarked:
"Finally, we have worked a lot on safe stadia over the past few years and believe that there is still a little more work to do in that respect. Therefore, the funding that goes outside the national stadium will focus on some of those matters."

The emphasis on safe stadia clearly indicates that this second tranche of funding was recognition that NI had been left behind GB when it came to HMG funding football stadium safety improvements following Hillsborough.
Change your name to Evil Waffle ;D
You need to actually provide independent support for an argument, you don't even have an argument, just contrary waffle.

rosnarun

surely all club staiums in IOreland are safe . seeing as there is never anyone at the matches
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

passedit

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-54522088
Casement Park: Nichola Mallon to recommend approval

Nichola Mallon has said she is recommending approval for the long-awaited redevelopment of Casement Park.

The infrastructure minister she had "carefully considered" all of the representations and that it had been a "complex application".

She said it would transform Gaelic games and the economy of west Belfast.

"I believe it will be truly transformational in sporting terms and economic terms for the whole of Ulster", she said.
Don't Panic

downjim

tyroneman

So it that it -  the builders can move in and start or are there more hoops to jump through / appeals that can be lodged?

ziggysego

Quote from: hardstation on October 13, 2020, 11:47:32 AM
Quote from: tyroneman on October 13, 2020, 11:18:17 AM
So it that it -  the builders can move in and start or are there more hoops to jump through / appeals that can be lodged?
I suppose it depends - is the granting of planning permission by the SDLP minister lawful this time?

How do the residents feel HS? Are they happy with the amendments? I read 95% are happy, but is that factual?
Testing Accessibility

Jeepers Creepers

So what has changed in terms of capacity/safety proposals or have the locals palms been greased??

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: hardstation on October 13, 2020, 11:55:32 AM
Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on October 13, 2020, 11:53:02 AM
So what has changed in terms of capacity/safety proposals or have the locals palms been greased??
What brings you to the 2nd part? What have you heard?

Something must have give?

restorepride

The new stadium has a proposed capacity of 34,186 - down from the GAA's original plan of 38,000.

The GAA said height, scale and capacity were all reduced from the previous design and that it was aiming to work within the original budget of £76m.

Ulster GAA said it had received 95% approval from about 3,000 people who responded to the stadium consultation.

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: restorepride on October 13, 2020, 11:58:09 AM

The new stadium has a proposed capacity of 34,186 - down from the GAA's original plan of 38,000.

The GAA said height, scale and capacity were all reduced from the previous design and that it was aiming to work within the original budget of £76m.

Ulster GAA said it had received 95% approval from about 3,000 people who responded to the stadium consultation.

Thanks do you know what changes were made to height from original??

restorepride

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: hardstation on October 13, 2020, 12:06:44 PM
Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on October 13, 2020, 11:57:54 AM
Quote from: hardstation on October 13, 2020, 11:55:32 AM
What brings you to the 2nd part? What have you heard?

Something must have give?
Sounds like you're throwing mud tbh.

I don't think "locals" need to be necessarily on side for this decision to be taken. Mark H Durkan made this exact decision before, unlawfully. "Locals" went to court over it.
The same people could still be against this decision.

Although, I don't know if they are or not.

HS I was in full support of the locals as I did think they were railroaded by the original plans and I felt they were duped. I know a few who felt that if original plans were to proceed they would expect to be compensated. Thats why i asked were there adequate changes made to the plans.

tyroneman

So are there any legal avenues left for residents to object and halt proceedings, or are those options now closed and sin é?

There have been so many false starts it's difficult to know if this is the 100% green light or not.