Croke Park residents legal bid to halt Garth Brooks concerts?

Started by T Fearon, February 14, 2014, 06:26:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

The infamous lockhards, wearing the fake sailing captain peaky hats. They were great. The rolled up newspaper in one hand, the surreptitious glances for the next victim. The fag in hand, the beckoning paper. The sense of foreboding as you realise parking is a bitch, and you are going to have to answer his beckoning call. Into the valley of chance drove the carload. Ours is not to reason why, ours is but to do and pay the fiver.

Zulu

Quote from: deiseach on February 17, 2014, 11:58:13 AM
Some amazingly mean-spirited comments on here, especially when you consider the most restrained comments are from the one person (that we know of) directly impacted by the concerts. Wind yer necks in.

Not sure mean spirited is a fair comment on the vast majority of views, though there are a few 'colourful' remarks alright. While I'd accept it's hard to comment unless you live there or close to a major stadium yourself, it does appear to me that the CP residents are a particularly belligerent crowd. If this was the first time they've complained about something I'd say one thing but they seem to complain about everything. I live in a city that regularly holds festivals and major events and I've never once heard about residents complaining. Likewise, other cities seem to be able to hold these events with less hassle, New Orleans or any city holding the super bowl spring to mind.

I have some sympathy for the residents but comments like a 'living hell' or 'turning Croke Park into one big toilet' seem like gross exaggerations of what will happen. I know one or two going to this and I would say they reflect a significant % of those going (30+, fond of a few pints and chronic taste in music) and they'll cause no hassle to the residents.

Zulu

I'm pretty sure the super bowl is a week long event now, though I'm not sure to what degree it impacts upon normal activities. I did hear in the build up to this years one that it normally takes over a city for the week but that it didn't have that effect in a city as big as New York.

Zulu

The super bowl is a week long event, what's hard to understand about that?

johnneycool

Quote from: Zulu on February 17, 2014, 02:56:50 PM
I'm pretty sure the super bowl is a week long event now, though I'm not sure to what degree it impacts upon normal activities. I did hear in the build up to this years one that it normally takes over a city for the week but that it didn't have that effect in a city as big as New York.

Giants stadium is not bang slap in the middle of a residential area, Croke park is.

I think the GAA and Croke park authorities do need to bear in mind the impact these concerts would have on the local community.

I know five nights of Garth Brooks babbling on about the 'greatest crowd in the world' and unanswered prayers would have me driven to despair.

J OGorman

Quote from: Zulu on February 17, 2014, 02:44:54 PM
Some amazingly mean-spirited comments on here, especially when you consider the most restrained comments are from the one person (that we know of) directly impacted by the concerts. Wind yer necks in.

Not sure mean spirited is a fair comment on the vast majority of views, though there are a few 'colourful' remarks alright. While I'd accept it's hard to comment unless you live there or close to a major stadium yourself, it does appear to me that the CP residents are a particularly belligerent crowd. If this was the first time they've complained about something I'd say one thing but they seem to complain about everything. I live in a city that regularly holds festivals and major events and I've never once heard about residents complaining. Likewise, other cities seem to be able to hold these events with less hassle, New Orleans or any city holding the super bowl spring to mind.

I have some sympathy for the residents but comments like a 'living hell' or 'turning Croke Park into one big toilet' seem like gross exaggerations of what will happen. I know one or two going to this and I would say they reflect a significant % of those going (30+, fond of a few pints and chronic taste in music) and they'll cause no hassle to the residents.

here, its not a million miles away from the truth. On concert day, every alley way / hidden spot  is filled with lads, and the odd lassie emptying the bladder (I've done it myself much to my eternal shame). Imagine a swarm of beer filled revellers being let out at your house to relieve themselves. Its grand for outsiders looking in who wont directly be affected to pour scorn on the locals. The odd concert every now and then, but 5 nights, sweet jesus, the walls will be green

Cold tea

Quote from: johnneycool on February 17, 2014, 03:20:18 PM

Giants stadium is not bang slap in the middle of a residential area, Croke park is.

I think the GAA and Croke park authorities do need to bear in mind the impact these concerts would have on the local community.

I know five nights of Garth Brooks babbling on about the 'greatest crowd in the world' and unanswered prayers would have me driven to despair.

I am sure it will probably be cancelled on the basis of that, fair play!

Zulu

Quote from: hardstation on February 17, 2014, 03:23:17 PM
Quote from: Zulu on February 17, 2014, 03:16:48 PM
Sorry, I was confused. When you said that it "springs to mind", I thought you maybe knew a lot about it but instead you just spewed out some wishy washy crap that you aren't sure about.

I get you now. When the Superbowl is on, 80 odd thousand people head to the stadium in a residential area every day for a week.

Fair enough.

Grand, glad I know I'm now dealing with someone who can't discuss a topic in a civil manner. This coming from a man who claims this will be a living hell though you don't live in the Croke Park area. Perhaps you can inform us all of what level of expertise are you bringing to this discussion, especially relating to Croke Park considering you don't live there?

Zulu

Quote from: J OGorman on February 17, 2014, 03:27:15 PM

here, its not a million miles away from the truth. On concert day, every alley way / hidden spot  is filled with lads, and the odd lassie emptying the bladder (I've done it myself much to my eternal shame). Imagine a swarm of beer filled revellers being let out at your house to relieve themselves. Its grand for outsiders looking in who wont directly be affected to pour scorn on the locals. The odd concert every now and then, but 5 nights, sweet jesus, the walls will be green

There will be toilet facilities there won't there? I'm not saying the residents won't have to deal with some issues but not everyone will be defecating everywhere. How do other cities hold these events, how can countries hold Olympics, world cups etc. if these events are such a horrible experience for anyone living around a host stadium?

J OGorman

Quote from: Zulu on February 17, 2014, 03:33:48 PM

There will be toilet facilities there won't there? I'm not saying the residents won't have to deal with some issues but not everyone will be defecating everywhere. How do other cities hold these events, how can countries hold Olympics, world cups etc. if these events are such a horrible experience for anyone living around a host stadium?

we're talking about Ireland here

johnneycool

Quote from: Cold tea on February 17, 2014, 03:28:10 PM
Quote from: johnneycool on February 17, 2014, 03:20:18 PM

I am sure it will probably be cancelled on the basis of that, fair play!

In my mind it would yeah.

What the residents should do is camp outside Peter McKenna's house for 5 days, play inane, loud music for five evenings and have the odd dump in his front garden.

Zulu

Quote from: J OGorman on February 17, 2014, 03:42:35 PM

So you think we are all pig ignorant morons? We have a few of those alright but many of those going won't fall into that category.

haranguerer

There'll only be people about from say half 5 to half 9, no? A bit of hassle if you live there, of course, but you're compensated. You're also not a prisoner for 5 days.

Zulu

Quote from: hardstation on February 17, 2014, 03:37:43 PM
Quote from: Zulu on February 17, 2014, 03:30:55 PM
Quote from: hardstation on February 17, 2014, 03:23:17 PM
Quote from: Zulu on February 17, 2014, 03:16:48 PM
Sorry, I was confused. When you said that it "springs to mind", I thought you maybe knew a lot about it but instead you just spewed out some wishy washy crap that you aren't sure about.

I get you now. When the Superbowl is on, 80 odd thousand people head to the stadium in a residential area every day for a week.

Fair enough.

Grand, glad I know I'm now dealing with someone who can't discuss a topic in a civil manner. This coming from a man who claims this will be a living hell though you don't live in the Croke Park area. Perhaps you can inform us all of what level of expertise are you bringing to this discussion, especially relating to Croke Park considering you don't live there?
I have been to concerts, festivals etc and I have seen what goes on. If that was going on outside my front door for 5 days solid, I would go fcukin spare.

So you've no expertise, perfect. Maybe now we've established that you can give other people's views the consideration they deserve. I've been to concerts and festivals too and festivals are very different to concerts, even ones which are repeated over a few days. A dance concert would be a bit different to an easy listening concert (different crowd, age profile etc.) and would imagine a Brooks crowd will a bit older and more restrained than a Jay Z crowd for example.

I wouldn't fancy a 5 day concert myself but if I lived near Croke Park then it would be part of the deal, it might not be the greatest 5 days of their year but a living hell? Hardly.

J OGorman

Quote from: Zulu on February 17, 2014, 03:55:57 PM
Quote from: J OGorman on February 17, 2014, 03:42:35 PM

So you think we are all pig ignorant morons? We have a few of those alright but many of those going won't fall into that category.

no, what I think and know is, no one drinks quite like we do, therefore no one lashs quite like we do. 400 000, good percentage travelling to the capital, carry outs on the go. This will quite literally be a lash fest. I for one wouldnt fancy 5 days of it. I take it you live a safe distance away??