Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheOptimist

Quote from: gallsman on December 20, 2016, 08:38:29 AM
I've recently been getting a pain in neck when out running, right down in beside my collar bone. Usually on the right hand side but has been on the left as well. Anyone experienced this before or any ideas what might be causing this?

Used to get a lot of pains in my neck, done a lot of running but was putting it done to driving and office work. Only started to get better when I joined the gym 3 months back and neck hasn't felt better in years. I've read since big cause of neck and back pain is strength related.

gallsman

Quote from: TheOptimist on December 20, 2016, 08:45:18 AM
I've recently been getting a pain in neck when out running, right down in beside my collar bone. Usually on the right hand side but has been on the left as well. Anyone experienced this before or any ideas what might be causing this?

Used to get a lot of pains in my neck, done a lot of running but was putting it done to driving and office work. Only started to get better when I joined the gym 3 months back and neck hasn't felt better in years. I've read since big cause of neck and back pain is strength related.

This feels more like a stitch and passes at a while. I'd do quite a lot of shoulder and upper back exercises in the gym so would be relatively confident is nothing to do with muscular weakness.

haranguerer

I've had it before - first noticed it doing cross country at school, so not related to sitting at a desk for hours on end, nor anything muscular I don't think; like a stitch is a good description, as it passes. It could just be a cramp of sorts, but I never got to the bottom of it, and it usually didn't endure for long enough to really concern me. Let me know if you find out what causes it

gallsman

Quote from: haranguerer on December 20, 2016, 11:10:21 AM
I've had it before - first noticed it doing cross country at school, so not related to sitting at a desk for hours on end, nor anything muscular I don't think; like a stitch is a good description, as it passes. It could just be a cramp of sorts, but I never got to the bottom of it, and it usually didn't endure for long enough to really concern me. Let me know if you find out what causes it

I'm not what you'd call an experienced runner so I've no idea if body acclimatising to things is part of it. I'm doing this advent running challenge that involves running 30 mins every day of advent for 30 mins and I usually cover 5-6k in that so by no means a frightening pace. Possibly something to do with barely being above beginner level.

ballinaman

Do you have asthma?
Might be a breathing issue, could be apical breathing...using upper lobes and chest excessively.
Try and engage your diaphragm more, plenty of YouTube tutorials for diaphramatic breathing.
Simple test is to breathe in fully through your nose and then out. Keeping your mouth closed and pinch your nose, walk at a brisk pace and count the number of steps you take before you feel uncomfortable and have to take a breath.
If you're unable to take at least 20-30 steps comfortably then you might want to try the diaphragm breathing exercises. Elite athletes can take 60+ steps usually.

Hereiam

Gallsman u could have an AC sprain. This happens from benchin etc. Sufferin from this myself at the minute. There is a video on youtube on how to test if it is indeed this sprain

Milltown Row2

Quote from: gallsman on December 20, 2016, 11:26:35 AM
Quote from: haranguerer on December 20, 2016, 11:10:21 AM

I'm not what you'd call an experienced runner so I've no idea if body acclimatising to things is part of it. I'm doing this advent running challenge that involves running 30 mins every day of advent for 30 mins and I usually cover 5-6k in that so by no means a frightening pace. Possibly something to do with barely being above beginner level.

Diving into that without doing going regularly may possibly be your problem!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

redzone

I had pain in collarbone!shoulder once, only came when running, I got by back cracked by a Physio. He said my pelvis was ever so slightly of line. Seemed to cure it

Milltown Row2

Getting new trainers this week, want to get a decent pair for doing long runs in my build up for marathon training, any decent deals on at minute? I've always bought asics

Ran every day since being off, been torture due to late nights and copious amounts of food and alcohol!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

tonto1888

Just done a lap of craigavon lakes. Bloody hell I have lost some running fitness in the last few months

laoislad

Looking through my Strava stats for the year and I'm 26 miles short of 1000 miles for the year.. doubt I'll get a Marathon in between now and midnight tomorrow!
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Boycey

Quote from: laoislad on December 30, 2016, 12:10:20 PM
Looking through my Strava stats for the year and I'm 26 miles short of 1000 miles for the year.. doubt I'll get a Marathon in between now and midnight tomorrow!

Fcuk sake that's less 20 miles a week... I'm a middle-aged fat bollix and I've walked the bloody dog further than that

laoislad

Quote from: Boycey on December 30, 2016, 12:27:59 PM
Quote from: laoislad on December 30, 2016, 12:10:20 PM

Fcuk sake that's less 20 miles a week... I'm a middle-aged fat bollix and I've walked the bloody dog further that that
You're fantastic.
I'm happy enough with it. Missed about 5 or 6 months with a knee injury and being sick for a bit.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

No1

Great stuff LL, a good years training. I don't think my OCD could cope with not getting the round 1000 though!  :)

moysider

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 27, 2016, 10:57:03 AM
Getting new trainers this week, want to get a decent pair for doing long runs in my build up for marathon training, any decent deals on at minute? I've always bought asics

Ran every day since being off, been torture due to late nights and copious amounts of food and alcohol!!

Bought new Saucony Ride2s today after having had 3 pairs of Nike Pegasus. They weren't a bargain though. Then in TK Max I came across a pair of New Balance 790v6 in my size. They were 45euro. Probably more suited to shorter stuff.

I'd hold off on then asics if I were you. They are supposed to be coming out with a new range as their popularity has fallen off. They persisted with the gel which fell out of favour. It's just too heavy. I have to admit that I was never an asics fan though.

If you're sure about size in a runner, best value probably online. I changes make so went to shop.