Graham Linehan on Twitter / Trans debate

Started by bennydorano, May 08, 2020, 08:34:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HokeyPokey

Has anyone here had any personal experiences with trans people and has anyone, or someone they know, been personally affected by any of these issues being raised here?

Tones

Years ago a guy in work left as Joe on a Friday and came back few weeks later as Joanne, mail went round in the intervening period to explain what was happening, to be respectful etc. words like inclusion, diversity, equality etc were rightly within the mail.  It was all rather surreal as Joe he was 6'4 in his 40's married with kids (marriage ended with the change), after some time took 6 months leave and then came back to a different office.  As liberal minded as anyone could be to see someone - especially so tall - whom you worked with for years walk in to the office in heels, a dress, some sort of false boobs, a wig, makeup and a handbag turned heads!

Keyser soze

Work with teenagers and there have been a few males identify as female [or vv], and ask to be referred to as she etc and dress across the gender. 

After the initial WTAF (soto voce of course) it just becomes another one of those things. Having said that there weren't any issues with toileting etc which could have raised the temperature I spose.

The other teens don't seem to raise an eyebrow about it tbh. I suspect, with zero empirical evidence of course, that quite a lot of it is attention seeking behaviour.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Tones on Today at 10:22:00 AMYears ago a guy in work left as Joe on a Friday and came back few weeks later as Joanne, mail went round in the intervening period to explain what was happening, to be respectful etc. words like inclusion, diversity, equality etc were rightly within the mail.  It was all rather surreal as Joe he was 6'4 in his 40's married with kids (marriage ended with the change), after some time took 6 months leave and then came back to a different office.  As liberal minded as anyone could be to see someone - especially so tall - whom you worked with for years walk in to the office in heels, a dress, some sort of false boobs, a wig, makeup and a handbag turned heads!

Do you think he took the easy option or just wanted to piss people off? (This is not directed at you btw Tones)

Remember years ago watching an interview about a fella that struggled with his sexuality, he was gay but hid it for so long as the alternative would be far worse due to the way society viewed difference.

Verbal and physical abuse  was standard, so can you imagine what it must be like to make that change?

I can understand why so many people try and have a 'normal' life as that is the easier option on the outside but christ it must be a mental struggle keeping up appearances

Trans is a thing, are people sometimes abusing it for themselves? Yeah absolutely. But I wouldn't wish whats going on in their heads to my worst of enemies   
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

tiempo

Sean Bean gave a stellar performance as a Trans-person in Accused, must give it a re-watch