Galway v Leitrim 14/6/08

Started by 45GoneShort, May 19, 2008, 06:55:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Quote from: Our Nail Loney on June 15, 2008, 02:20:23 PM
why is there f**k all galway support in salthill?

Because they only appear when they look like winning an All Ireland. >:(
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

GalwayBayBoy

Well we've gone over it before but the north Galway crowd just won't go to Pearse Stadium and never have done. If the game was on in Tuam there would probably have been more than double the crowd at the game.

Rossfan

Ye didnt go there much before 1998 either GBB - remember back in 94 or 95 when Leitrim supplied 5,000 of the 6,000 crowd? ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Rossfan on June 15, 2008, 05:34:10 PM
Ye didnt go there much before 1998 either GBB - remember back in 94 or 95 when Leitrim supplied 5,000 of the 6,000 crowd? ;)

I'm sure they did.

Although considering they were Connacht champions for the first time in over a lifetime and we were in the doldrums it wouldn't be that surprising.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on June 15, 2008, 05:27:46 PM
Well we've gone over it before but the north Galway crowd just won't go to Pearse Stadium and never have done. If the game was on in Tuam there would probably have been more than double the crowd at the game.

The Galway support in last yr connaght final with both minors and seniors there was a joke, 3000 tops, in 23000 crowd, I know sligo sold 13000, and ros definitly had big crowd 6 or 7 supporting there minors. Roscommon town isnt far from north Galway is it?

Galway still not convincing me on the field, leitrim had bucket loads of possesion but as per usual get another morale victory for their trophy cabinet. I honestly thought with the emergence of mulligan they could of sprang a shock. But wasnt to be. They gave joyce the freedom of the park in the first 20mins which cost them.
At least now both mayo and SLIGO wont understimate joyce despite his age.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Galforever

Galway have always had bad support, even when they played in Tuam. However, Pearse has reduced this support even more.

1. Paul Doherty: Played well. His kickouts were much better than against Ros
2. G. Bradshaw: Still untested at corner back as he was playing in the half back line when Leitrim were on top. He did ok but I suspect that he will not be able to cope with a top corner forward
3. F. Hanley: Felt he did well (I must have been the only 1!). Maxwell is a top forward and hanley batled with him every time
4. D. Burke: Extremely poor. Gave away countless fees and I cant remember him winning one ball
5. D. Meehan: Best of he half back line but he needs to release the ball quicker
6. G. Sice: No centre back but he had a decent game. Much improved from the Ros game
7. D. Mullahy: He did ok. He kept his man quiet (Interstingly, his first & second markers were both taken off)
8. N. Coleman: As we know, he doesnt really have the physique to compete @ midfield so its hard to criticise him for kickouts. He does try to get involved in general play though
9. M. Lydon: Very bad again today. He will be dropped the next day
10. P. Conroy: Never got involved.
11. P. Joyce: A class act
12. N. Joyce: Top class, The back didn't know which way he would turn!
13. M. Clancy: He did well. But he should be out around midfield, he spent most of the match at corner forward
14. M. Meehan: Showed again that when he receives quality ball, he can do damage. My worry with Meehan is that unless the pass to him is pretty perfect, he wont win it
15. F. Breathnach: Very unlucky to be taken off as he was just coming into the game at that time. Don't see what he offers as a third midfielder.

Subs:
Cullinane was class when he came on. If he could do that for a whole match then he would be picked from the start every time. Also, his performance was a very mature one, No stupid giving away possession or petulant kicks.
We really never saw Bane in the game except when he got his chances. But this is a sign of a good player, to take your chances when you get them (although he had one awful wide)
Armstrong was poor.
Comer did well when he came on. A bit of experience and a level head.

Points that need to be addressed:

1. Why was Clancy not given the roaming role after doing so well in it against Roscommon? Breathnach seemed to be playing out the field much more.

2. Why was Mullahy playing corner back in the 2nd half & Bradshaw in the half back line? We need to know sooner rather than later if Bradshaw can play at corner back. When number 15 went off for Leitim, his replacement went into the full forward line and one of the inside forwards moved out. Bradshaw moved out following his man. A few minutes later, Mullahy indicated to him to swap but Bradshaw shook his head waving his hands about. Did the management even notice that their wing back (a fairly loose marker) was now playing in the corner?

3. At times in the second half, there was a huge amount of space in front of our full back line. If Coyne or Blake had been playing, they would have acted as sweeper holding the no.6 position. Why wasnt anybody instructed to do this? Against a better team, this would have been ruthlessly exposed. From what I remember, Sice started no.6. When Burke, went off, he went back to the corner and M. Comer was no, 6. After Bradshaw moved out, he seemed to be playing at no.6???

4. Who was supposed to be marking the Leitrim no. 4. Time after time, he was free for a short kickout. If he was a better player, then this could have caused us a lot of issues.

Clearly, our biggest problem is at midfield. If you dont win any ball at midfield, you wont win. Cullinane was class today when he came on but doubts still remain about him, particularly when it comes to all-ireland qf standard (or even before). It was very disappointing to see out full back line look so poor today as well. Damien Burke has been one of our better players in the last few years but looked way way off the pace today. Nice to see Clive Monaghan back in the panel. He was an outstanding underage full back.

KIDDO 4

Board criticise Dolan remarks

THE LEITRIM GAA County Board yesterday moved to distance themselves from remarks reportedly made by county senior football manager Des Dolan in a Sunday newspaper.

In a statement released last night, the board said Dolan's comments about the Tommy Murphy Cup and GAA president Nickey Brennan did not reflect the thinking of Leitrim GAA.

In an interview in the Irish Mail On Sunday , Dolan is quoted as saying: "I've no interest in the Tommy Murphy Cup; it's a balls of a competition. This thing about not having qualifiers is the greatest disaster and the GAA should be hung, drawn and quartered for it and Nickey Brennan should be hung from his a*** up."

The Leitrim board also confirmed yesterday the county would be participating in this season's Tommy Murphy Cup competition.

"The county board recognise that the Tommy Murphy Cup was put in place by a due democratic process and Leitrim will be participating in the Tommy Murphy Cup in 2008. In relation to the remarks made about an Uachtarán Cumann Lúthchleas Gael, Nickey Brennan, Leitrim GAA feel that the remarks are very disrespectful of the president and in no way want to be associated with them."

stephenite

Great performance by Emlyn Mulligan for Leitrim - looks like a class act. I know all his scores were from frees but when he got the ball in play he caused a lot of problems also. That second last score near the end from the stand side, from the outside of the boot was spectacular - very impressive.

RedandGreenSniper

Leitrim have some class player imo. Declan Maxwell is a top class full-forward. He had Hanley for pace, knows how to take a score, is incredibly strong and considering he's hardly six foot tall, he has some leap on him - the way he hangs in the air.
John McKeon is a very good full-back, if we had him in Mayo there'd be no issue over number three. IMO one of the best around.
Emlyn Mulligan is a classy player, the frees were all well taken - ten out of eleven is some conversion rate. Also very impressed with Shane Foley and Dermot Reynolds attacking and supporting the man in possession. If they'd a bit more strength around the field they'd be a serious side.

Cullinane made a big difference when he came on but how on earth is Breathnach holding his place ahead of Cormac Bane? Or even Sean Armstrong. Mystifies me.
Don't think either Mayo or Sligo will be too concerned about Galway after this imo
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

ross matt

It's really hard to judge Galway after this. They're definitely playing more attractive football and scoring more than last year but they didnt appear at all to improve on their weak areas in the game against us. Hanley was taken for 3 points by Kilbride and also in trouble against Karol mannion in the Ross match. Yesterday Maxwell caused him massive problems. (In fairness though I think Maxwell is exceptional and would walk on to any side). Midfield is still in bother as it was in the last match and the only solution was to bring on Cullinane one of their worst performers the last day. Credit to him he definitely improved the situation yesterday for them but I cant see him as any kind of longterm solution.

Great to see a player of Joyce's class produce a performance of such purpose and confidence. Surely now he's up there with Maurice Fitz, Canavan, Matt Connor, Mike Sheehy? Also at only 31 there has been too much lazy media reference to his "veteran" status. Nicky Joyce also looked good in flashes and I suppose both of them are evidence of how Galway even if they are being beaten all over the field can still destroy you in a flash of brilliance.

Little is known of Mayo this season from a championship point of view. Their 04/06 side would easily have taken care of Galway yesterday but I think they are re-building and suspect enough themselves. Sligo (bad season of 07 or not) are still Connacht champions and surely wont give up their title without a fight. They are always a better championship than league side. They will at least do as well as Leitrim did yesterday if not actually take mayo. Impossible to call where the Nestor cup is going yet I think..

GaillimhIarthair

A mixed bag in Salthill yesterday.

Negatives: the continuing midfield malaise and also the panic in the FB line caused by Declan Maxwell ( an excellent player). Also some of the tackling by the backs should have been more disciplined (Mulligan kicked 10pts from frees  >:() Breathnach or Lydon are not good enough for a starting spot.

Positives: 2-12 from play (1 free inside the 45 in the whole match!).  Conceded 1-03 from play.  PJ was top class and its now obvious that we have to start Barry in Connacht Final.  Also a good performance out of Nickey i thought and Bane definitely did enough to start v Mayo / Sligo.

screenexile

Yeah what has happened to Galway's midfield recently? When Derry went down to Salthill we got absolutely cleaned out in that area of the pitch and was a large reason why we lost the game. Yes we were missing Fergal Doherty but Muldoon and Conway will usually do more than hold their own in MF. I was quite disappointed with Galway yesterday to be honest but I wouldn't rule them out just yet.

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: screenexile on June 16, 2008, 10:05:15 AM
Yeah what has happened to Galway's midfield recently? When Derry went down to Salthill we got absolutely cleaned out in that area of the pitch and was a large reason why we lost the game. Yes we were missing Fergal Doherty but Muldoon and Conway will usually do more than hold their own in MF. I was quite disappointed with Galway yesterday to be honest but I wouldn't rule them out just yet.
Barry Cullinane was outstanding that day v Derry in Salthill, actually probably the best game I have seen him produce in a senior jersey for Galway.  He was poor against Ros but in fairness he made a big difference when he came on at ht yesterday.  Joe Bergin is out with an ankle ligaments injury and is a big loss for us around the middle of the field as we just do not have a lot of options there right now. 

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: Rossfan on June 15, 2008, 05:34:10 PM

You've a point there Rossfan. Didn't Seán Óg de Paor even admit in his book that Galway suport is cat?

The doldrums argument doesn't hold water either. Saving Rossfan's and Matt's presence, Roscommon have never been as weak in living memory, and yet still they turn out game after game. Fair play to them.

magpie seanie

Galway's football support is very poor alright though obviously Salthill doesn't help matters.