Ros v Dubs tomorrow

Started by The Hill is Blue, May 27, 2023, 03:59:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Hill is Blue

Tomorrow the Dubs will meet a Division 1 team for the first time since relegation. It will be interesting  to see how that works out. Roscommon will have prepared well for this one and tomorrow's game is wide open.

From a Dub's point of view we'll hope for the best.

COYBIB
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

imtommygunn

I have a feeling the dubs could win this by five to ten points. Hope I am wrong as I would like to see a tight game.

Substandard

I'm alternating between 'Oh f***', and 'We can do this'.  If we can prevent Dublin getting into sequences where they get 4 or 5 scores in a row, then we could make it interesting.  Having just typed that, it looks like blatant stating the obvious,  but the key will be keeping Fenton and Kilkenny quiet, without leaving too much space for McCaffrey (presume he's fit?) or the likes.  If them two are held in check, it makes minding Mannion and O'Callaghan that bit easier.  If they get into a rhythm,  any team will suffer, because then every other player is a danger.  It's hard to judge where Dublin are relative to the Kildare and Louth games.  I can't see us giving up the same amount of scoring opportunities as Louth did, and I think if we get our starting 6 and subs in the forwards right, then we could be right there. 
I expect we'll be very defensive early doors, and the first half mightn't make for much of a spectacle, but like a lot of games this year, hopefully the 2nd half takes fire.
Usually with Ros, it's travelling more in hope than expectation,  and it's the hope that kills you.  It'll either be blown out of the water, or possibly something special and damn the torpedoes!!

Blowitupref

Quote from: imtommygunn on May 27, 2023, 04:24:39 PM
I have a feeling the dubs could win this by five to ten points. Hope I am wrong as I would like to see a tight game.

Dublin 1/10 Roscommon 7/1 those odds suggests a 7 to 9 point win for Dublin.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: Substandard on May 27, 2023, 05:07:57 PM
I'm alternating between 'Oh f***', and 'We can do this'.  If we can prevent Dublin getting into sequences where they get 4 or 5 scores in a row, then we could make it interesting.  Having just typed that, it looks like blatant stating the obvious,  but the key will be keeping Fenton and Kilkenny quiet, without leaving too much space for McCaffrey (presume he's fit?) or the likes.  If them two are held in check, it makes minding Mannion and O'Callaghan that bit easier.  If they get into a rhythm,  any team will suffer, because then every other player is a danger.  It's hard to judge where Dublin are relative to the Kildare and Louth games.  I can't see us giving up the same amount of scoring opportunities as Louth did, and I think if we get our starting 6 and subs in the forwards right, then we could be right there. 
I expect we'll be very defensive early doors, and the first half mightn't make for much of a spectacle, but like a lot of games this year, hopefully the 2nd half takes fire.
Usually with Ros, it's travelling more in hope than expectation,  and it's the hope that kills you.  It'll either be blown out of the water, or possibly something special and damn the torpedoes!!

You won't have to worry about Jack Mac. He's not named on the squad
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

Substandard

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on May 27, 2023, 05:24:45 PM
Quote from: Substandard on May 27, 2023, 05:07:57 PM

You won't have to worry about Jack Mac. He's not named on the squad

Cheers, haven't been reading up much about the game this week- possibly in denial!!

Hound

Cluxton
Newcombe - D.Byrne - Cian Murphy
McCarthy - J.Small - Gannon
Fenton - Lahiff
Howard - Bugler - Kilkenny
Mannion - Con - Costello

That would be our strongest forward line

Jack and Murchan injured. Newcombe and Murphy have been doing well but haven't faced D1 opposition this year

Rossfan

Time to head for the smoke or had Eamonn Ryan got ye all breathing clean air these days😁
Hoping for a competitive performance and that the scoreboard operator will have an easy day.
Anything more will be a bonus.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

Burke will love this challenge. A Ros win would be seismic for the championship.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

CK_Redhand

Quote from: seafoid on May 28, 2023, 10:43:16 AM
Burke will love this challenge. A Ros win would be seismic for the championship.
Is this sarcasm? The championship is so diluted that these group stage matches don't mean much

seafoid

Quote from: CK_Redhand on May 28, 2023, 11:05:36 AM
Quote from: seafoid on May 28, 2023, 10:43:16 AM
Is this sarcasm? The championship is so diluted that these group stage matches don't mean much
It's diluted until Kerry get beaten and they have to play one of the provincial winners in the QF.
As long as everything works as expected it's diluted but as soon as something goes wrong it isn't. 
Kerry could always win Munster and take it handy until the qf. But not this year.

CK_Redhand

Roscommon beating Dublin would be a mild upset, not seismic

seafoid

Quote from: CK_Redhand on May 28, 2023, 11:35:34 AM
Roscommon beating Dublin would be a mild upset, not seismic
It would mean the 2 favourites going via the preliminary round
I don't think it is likely to happen anyway

thewobbler

I would pretty much always cheer on the underdog. And I've never cheered on Dublin in my life.

But Roscommon's click killing style is revolting to watch.

Up the Dubs.

Blowitupref

Half time Dublin 0-5 Roscommon 0-9. Fine controlling performance by the Rossies thus far.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose