Tips wanted for running a U6s Gaelic Football session

Started by thebackbar1, April 16, 2023, 11:45:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whishtup

No need for star of the week. Just make it fun and make sure every kid hears their name said at least once in an encouraging way.

thebackbar1

Just wondering, how far into Autumn do you plan to continue your U6 sessions? Do you also organize an end-of-season party for your team?

I've noticed that some Dublin clubs align their training with the school terms, taking a break during the summer. Do many clubs train throughout the winter?

twohands!!!

Bit of an unusual one - was helping out at an U8 session over the weekend and there was one young lad who was apologising every single time when a kick wasn't perfect. Like every single kick that was any way slightly off. Asked the regular lads and they said he always does it and has since they started coaching with him. Normal lad in every other way from what I could see and probably an above average kicker for his age - it didn't seem to bother him that much it just seemed like an automatic habit. Was doing it in kicking practice and in game. I did say to him after that there was no need to apologise even David Clifford makes mistakes. Mention it to the parents (know his mother pretty well - a lot better than the other coaches would) or just leave him/let him grow out of it?

trueblue1234

Quote from: twohands!!! on August 22, 2023, 09:50:08 AM
Bit of an unusual one - was helping out at an U8 session over the weekend and there was one young lad who was apologising every single time when a kick wasn't perfect. Like every single kick that was any way slightly off. Asked the regular lads and they said he always does it and has since they started coaching with him. Normal lad in every other way from what I could see and probably an above average kicker for his age - it didn't seem to bother him that much it just seemed like an automatic habit. Was doing it in kicking practice and in game. I did say to him after that there was no need to apologise even David Clifford makes mistakes. Mention it to the parents (know his mother pretty well - a lot better than the other coaches would) or just leave him/let him grow out of it?

subservient Attitude. Feeling like he has to apologise to everyone for any mistakes. It's a personality issue. Just keep reinforcing the good and explaining no need to apologise for mistakes. Take him out of a training game for 2 minutes and let him watch the game pointing out the mistakes made and how the players just got on with it and never apologised. Best you can do. Prob goes deeper than you'll change in 1-2 hrs a week.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

imtommygunn

The other possibility is that it's because of the parents...

Itchy

Talk to the parents and try and understand the issue. Does he apologise for stuff outside of football or is it a football thing only would be where I would start my conversation. If its the former then nothing much you can do other than tell parents you noticed it.

twohands!!!

Quote from: trueblue1234 on August 22, 2023, 10:51:49 AM

subservient Attitude. Feeling like he has to apologise to everyone for any mistakes. It's a personality issue. Just keep reinforcing the good and explaining no need to apologise for mistakes. Take him out of a training game for 2 minutes and let him watch the game pointing out the mistakes made and how the players just got on with it and never apologised. Best you can do. Prob goes deeper than you'll change in 1-2 hrs a week.

Yeah like this idea.

Don't think it's an issue with the parents - seems just like a habit he has - he seems fine and "normal" in pretty much all other aspects from what I've seen. It doesn't seem to be bothering him all that much and doesn't affect his game at all.

Will mention it to the mother in an off-hand way when I see her around.

trueblue1234

We had a guy in work like this. Apologies for everything. If you just asked him were a report was, he'd be apologising and saying he'd bring it over. Taking responsibility for other peoples mistakes even. Felt sorry on the poor guy. It was a personality thing with him as he was the same on things outside work. Apologising on behalf of the sandwich shop if they got an order wrong, that sort of thing. Real nice lad. Just bit too soft. Some people took the hand out of him as he never said no to helping people either.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit