Sam Maguire Group 1 - Kerry, Louth, Mayo, Cork

Started by GAABoardMod5, May 23, 2023, 08:24:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kidder81

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on June 03, 2023, 04:28:57 PM
Quote from: Kidder81 on June 03, 2023, 04:24:04 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on June 03, 2023, 04:22:05 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on June 03, 2023, 04:12:05 PM
48 mins played a penalty goal for Kerry, the foul looked outside the area. 1-10 to 0-10 and Cork down to 14 men with a black card.

That ref just can't help himself -- needs to be a talking point.

It can be outside the box and a penalty though did they not say? If it's a clear goalscoring opportunity, which I'm not sure it was

Definitely wasn't a clear goal scoring opportunity.

I didn't think so either

Blowitupref

FT Cork 0-15 Kerry 1-14. The very debateable penalty the difference in the end.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Fear ón Srath Bán

Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

CK_Redhand

Kerry blanket was good but the turnover on 71 minutes when there was 2 points in it was never a free for Kerry

JoG2

Whatever about the blanket / lateral play, something has to be done about the constant cynical 'choke' tackling, stopping players / teams breaking. Kerry at it constantly today, Monaghan at it constantly last Saturday (ref didn't produce a yellow card for it until the 31st minute). Zero flow to the game when this is allowed without punishment

RedHand88

I had said in another thread that I fancied Cork. They came so so close. Still think Sam goes to Galway to an Ulster team.

twohands!!!

48 mins played a penalty goal for Kerry, the foul looked outside the area. 1-10 to 0-10 and Cork down to 14 men with a black card.

It can be outside the box and a penalty though did they not say? If it's a clear goalscoring opportunity, which I'm not sure it was

There's nothing in the rules about it having to be a clear goal scoring opportunity.

I don't think anyone can make the case that there wasn't a chance of a goal in this situation given the lack of Cork's cover and the fact that Geaney has scored a number of goals against Cork over the years.

Gough got this spot on imo.

Kerry fairly unimpressive bar Clifford (really can't see an All-Ireland in them) and Cork while they got close on the scoreline are still miles off being a top team.

Quote5.41 Notwithstanding provisions of existing Playing Rules 2.2 Exception (i), 5 and specifically 5.40, if one of the following infractions-
(a) To deliberately pull down an opponent (5.10) or
(b) To deliberately trip an opponent with hand (s),arm, leg, or foot, (5.11) or
(c) To deliberately collide with an opponent after he has played the ball away or for the purpose of taking him out of the movement of play (5.12)  is committed on an attacking player who or, in the case of a Rule 5.12 (Football) Infraction, his team, is denied of a goal-scoring opportunity, as defined in Important Terms and Definitions 9, the following penalties shall apply:
(i) A Penalty Kick shall be awarded to the team affected.
(ii) The offender shall be issued with a Black Card and be sent to the Sin Bin for 10 minutes.

Quote9. GOAL-SCORING OPPORTUNITY (Denial of)

In the context of Temporary Rules  5.45 (Hurling)/5.41 (Football)

A situation requiring each of the following criteria:
(i) The attacking player fouled, as specified in these Temporary Rules, shall be in possession of the ball, except in the case of Rule 5.12 (Football).
Possession shall include a player being in control of the ball as specified in any one or more Rule 1-The Play sub-sections 1.3,1.4,1.7
(Hurling); 1.4,1.5 (Football).
(ii) The location of the infraction shall be either:
(a) Inside the 20-metre line, but as a 'rule of thumb' not within 25 metres infield of each sideline or
(b) Within the semi-circular Arc.
(iii) In the opinion of the Referee, the player fouled or, in the case of a Rule 5.12 Infraction, his team, had and was denied of the opportunity to score a goal when the infraction was committed.

Blowitupref

Quote from: twohands!!! on June 03, 2023, 05:53:40 PM

There's nothing in the rules about it having to be a clear goal scoring opportunity.

I don't think anyone can make the case that there wasn't a chance of a goal in this situation given the lack of Cork's cover and the fact that Geaney has scored a number of goals against Cork over the years.

Kerry fairly unimpressive bar Clifford (really can't see an All-Ireland in them) and Cork while they got close on the scoreline are still miles off being a top team.

Quote5.41 Notwithstanding provisions of existing Playing Rules 2.2 Exception (i), 5 and specifically 5.40, if one of the following infractions-
(c) To deliberately collide with an opponent after he has played the ball away or for the purpose of taking him out of the movement of play (5.12)  is committed on an attacking player who or, in the case of a Rule 5.12 (Football) Infraction, his team, is denied of a goal-scoring opportunity, as defined in Important Terms and Definitions 9, the following penalties shall apply:
(ii) The offender shall be issued with a Black Card and be sent to the Sin Bin for 10 minutes.

(i) The attacking player fouled, as specified in these Temporary Rules, shall be in possession of the ball, except in the case of Rule 5.12 (Football).
Possession shall include a player being in control of the ball as specified in any one or more Rule 1-The Play sub-sections 1.3,1.4,1.7
(a) Inside the 20-metre line, but as a 'rule of thumb' not within 25 metres infield of each sideline or
(iii) In the opinion of the Referee, the player fouled or, in the case of a Rule 5.12 Infraction, his team, had and was denied of the opportunity to score a goal when the infraction was committed.
https://twitter.com/officialgaa/status/1665014923653423105
remains debatable for me.  Either way that score was difference between the teams.  Good improvement by Cork compared to their last two championship games against Kerry but Kerry lacking the organisation and hunger they had last year.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Fear ón Srath Bán

Nothing definitive there, Gough needs to be a talking point, simple as.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

twohands!!!

Quote from: Blowitupref on June 03, 2023, 06:51:20 PM

https://twitter.com/officialgaa/status/1665014923653423105
remains debatable for me.  Either way that score was difference between the teams.  Good improvement by Cork compared to their last two championship games against Kerry but Kerry lacking the organisation and hunger they had last year.

Possibly if Paudie Clifford wasn't coming into the square unmarked but given he was I think there is no way you can say it wasn't a goal-scoring chance.

Milltown Row2

Player deliberately brought down, black card, was it a goal scoring opportunity? We will never know as he was brought down going in on goal. It could be a goal scoring opportunity or someone could have blocked it or he sent it wide.

The defender made his decision and the ref made his.

Don't give the ref the opportunity to make that call, defender cost his team possibly with that rash tackle
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Blowitupref

Quote from: Crete Boom on June 02, 2023, 10:58:13 AM
Mayo (All-Ireland SFC v Louth 4/6/2023):

Colm Reape (Knockmore);
Jack Coyne (Ballyhaunis),
David McBrien (Ballaghaderreen),
Sam Callinan (Ballina Stephenites);
Paddy Durcan (Castlebar Mitchels, captain),
Conor Loftus (Crossmolina Deel Rovers),
Stephen Coen (Hollymount/Carramore);
Matthew Ruane (Breaffy),
Diarmuid O'Connor (Ballintubber);
Fionn McDonagh (Westport),
Jack Carney (Kilmeena),
Jordan Flynn (Crossmolina Deel Rovers);
Aidan O'Shea (Breaffy),
James Carr (Ardagh),
Ryan O'Donoghue (Belmullet).

Subs: Rory Byrne (Castlebar Mitchels), Tommy Conroy (The Neale), Jason Doherty (Burrishoole), Enda Hession (Garrymore), Frank Irwin (Ballina Stephenites), James McCormack (Claremorris), Donnacha McHugh (Castlebar Mitchels), Conor McStay (Ballina Stephenites), Padraig O'Hora (Ballina Stephenites), Paul Towey (Charlestown Sarsfields), Bob Tuohy (Castlebar Mitchels).

Plenty of changes to the Mayo starting 15:
(18) Jason Doherty replaces (10) Fionn McDonagh.
(24) Padraig O'Hora replaces (5) Paddy Durcan.
(22) Donnacha McHugh replaces (9) Diarmuid O'Connor.

Aiden Orme added to the Mayo 26 and will wear No. 9.

Jell 0 Biafra

First time I've heard Paul Flynn doing co-commentator.  He's good.   

armaghniac

McHale park pitch in poor shape. What's the story there?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Jell 0 Biafra

Can't expect too much in a county as rain-deprived as Mayo.