All Ireland Gaelic Football Final 2014 Kerry v Donegal

Started by rrhf, August 31, 2014, 10:20:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaraHuggyBear

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on September 22, 2014, 02:30:24 PM
Quote from: NaomhBridAbĂș on September 22, 2014, 01:01:03 PM
was murphy injured yesterday?

Certainly seemed to be limping slightly from early on in the game.

Hello, new here.  Just a thought: eh, possibly injured himself from the hit to the stomach he inflicted on Diarmuid Connolly on the semi-final and for which he should have received a red card !!

muppet

Quote from: CaraHuggyBear on September 22, 2014, 10:48:54 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on September 22, 2014, 02:30:24 PM
Quote from: NaomhBridAbĂș on September 22, 2014, 01:01:03 PM
was murphy injured yesterday?

Certainly seemed to be limping slightly from early on in the game.

Hello, new here.  Just a thought: eh, possibly injured himself from the hit to the stomach he inflicted on Diarmuid Connolly on the semi-final and for which he should have received a red card !!

Is there a big queue outside?
MWWSI 2017

CaraHuggyBear

Irony, actually.  Thoroughly enjoying most of the contributions on this forum...... 8)

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on September 22, 2014, 09:59:14 PM
Personally I'd have no problem with defensive minded teams, or games between two such teams.   The problem with yesterday's game was more the poor execution of skills, stray passes, poor shooting and poor decision making in attack by both teams.
I would agree with that.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Jinxy

Gaelic football badly needs a resurgent Meath team, and possibly a resurgent Down team, to lift all our spirits with their traditional style and panache.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Jinxy on September 23, 2014, 09:11:20 AM
Gaelic football badly needs a resurgent Meath team, and possibly a resurgent Down team, to lift all our spirits with their traditional style and panache.

And Offaly. We'd sort out this nonsense. Get the ball, kick it 60 yards, box a lad in the stomach and stick it in the onion bag. Stop for a fag, and plan your night's porter with the lad your marking, then get in a scrap. Catch the ball again, kick it another 60 yards.

Jinxy

Anyone who runs more than 20 yards in a straight line gets a black card.

bcarrier

Quote from: cuyahoga on September 22, 2014, 10:30:56 PM
Quote from: BluestackBoy on September 22, 2014, 09:34:35 PM
There were 3 turning points in the game.

1. Odhran fumbling a routine pass which led to first goal.
2. Papa's kickout which led to second goal.
3. Colm's fisted effort hitting the post at the end.

When it's your day one, two or even all three of these will go your way. It was Kerry's day & good luck to them.

We had it our way against Dublin when all the breaks fell our way. Such is life.

You've hit the the nail on the head from where I saw it.

I think the substitution of David Moran so Sheehan could hit that late free from 50+ m might have been crucial. Made it a 3 point game.

AZOffaly

I meant to comment on that earlier. That takes some faith in your technique. To come from a cold start and nail that one was huge for Sheehan. I was happy for him too, (sorry lads) because I remember him missing a kickable one v Tyrone back in 2008 I think which would have been a big score for Kerry too.

bcarrier

Quote from: Jinxy on September 23, 2014, 09:15:43 AM

The semi finals were things of beauty so no need to throw the baby out with bathwater.

Still I think we need something to stop the flooding of defences - maybe something like thirteen a side  or the reverse of the offside rule  so you are only allowed three attackers/three defenders inside twenty one yard line at any time.

johnneycool

Quote from: Jinxy on September 22, 2014, 03:19:11 PM
Leo McLoone was involved in a couple of incidents like that where to my mind, the attacker had jumped into the contact.
The BJ Keane free was the exact same i.e. jump into tackler and fall over = free to attacker.

There's a bit of a trend in the jumping, not so much into the tackle but between tacklers and then hitting the deck when the arm comes out, not sure if its a foul as such, but certainly jumping into the man is, but between men, I'm not so sure.

On big Murphy at the end, he fairly led with the elbow as the kerry men were hanging off him, it would have taken a D8 dozer to stop him.

Jinxy

Quote from: bcarrier on September 23, 2014, 09:24:59 AM

The semi finals were things of beauty so no need to throw the baby out with bathwater.

Still I think we need something to stop the flooding of defences - maybe something like thirteen a side  or the reverse of the offside rule  so you are only allowed three attackers/three defenders inside twenty one yard line at any time.

You'll still have the same problem.
The only way to stop it is to designate players who can and who cannot be inside their own 45 yard line i.e. your six forwards have to stay out of there.
Get them to wear a red armband or something.
This doesn't stop defenders from attacking nor does it stop those attackers from defending, it just stops them dropping right back into their half back line.
Midfielders can go wherever they like.
This will henceforth be referred to as 'The Jinxy Rule'.
Roll on Congress!

bcarrier

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 23, 2014, 09:23:02 AM
I meant to comment on that earlier. That takes some faith in your technique. To come from a cold start and nail that one was huge for Sheehan. I was happy for him too, (sorry lads) because I remember him missing a kickable one v Tyrone back in 2008 I think which would have been a big score for Kerry too.

Outstanding piece of skill. Sheehan had one versus Mayo in first semi too which fell short.

For a man who says that managers role is made too much off Fitzmaurice made some outstanding calls in relation to match ups.

Whether Lacey got the block on O'Briens first ball in or not ( McStay seems to be source of that ?) they had a preplannned tactic to get Paul Geaney in there against a smaller man. Donaghy's idea apparently.

Paul Murphy was made for Ryan McHugh but would I think struggle against a more physical player. McBrearty was gave him plenty to think about when he came on and the Enright introduction helped close him down. Fitzmaurice knows his squads strengths and weaknesses and was very quick to act. 

bcarrier

Quote from: Jinxy on September 23, 2014, 09:38:41 AM
Quote from: bcarrier on September 23, 2014, 09:24:59 AM

You'll still have the same problem.
The only way to stop it is to designate players who can and who cannot be inside their own 45 yard line i.e. your six forwards have to stay out of there.
Get them to wear a red armband or something.
This doesn't stop defenders from attacking nor does it stop those attackers from defending, it just stops them dropping right back into their half back line.
Midfielders can go wherever they like.
This will henceforth be referred to as 'The Jinxy Rule'.
Roll on Congress!

That might work  ??? but beware the Dublin 10 in a row  :'(

Jinxy

The Jinxy Rule will not apply to teams playing against Dublin.